[alt.hackers] hmm

newton@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (David Newton) (02/19/91)

Hmm, I have now been flamed three times for my post in which I stated that
I found it quite against the "hacker ethic" to restrict access to the
newsgroup.

Sorta proves my point.

To the person that asked me where my ob.hack
was, well, wouldn't that sort of imply I approved, which I don't?

To the person who called my post "whiny": Gee, a news hacker.  And one that
complained about my complaint.  Also sorta proves my point.

I 'spose you'd have the FSF moderated too, so only "real" hackers could get
stuff from 'em?

Sheesh.

--
David L. Newton	    |  Work: (708) 467-1015  | newton@ils.nwu.edu -or-
ILS, Room 135       |  Home: (708) 332-2321  | dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu, but

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (02/20/91)

In article <9102191013.AA25200@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> newton@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (David Newton) writes:
>Hmm, I have now been flamed three times for my post in which I stated that
>I found it quite against the "hacker ethic" to restrict access to the
>newsgroup.
>
>Sorta proves my point.

So far as I can tell, access isn't restricted. All one needs to do to
acquire access is learn how to post to a moderated newsgroup.

While that is no measure of hacking ability, it does seem to serve
a purpose: screening out posters who are unlikely to be able to
contribute meaningfully to the newsgroup.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin, (617) 864-0665 | "You gotta put down the ducky
mnemonic@eff.org            |  if you wanna play the saxophone!"

bradford@news.colorado.edu (Mark Bradford) (02/20/91)

In <9102191013.AA25200@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> newton@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (David Newton) writes:

>Hmm, I have now been flamed three times for my post in which I stated that
>I found it quite against the "hacker ethic" to restrict access to the
>newsgroup.

>Sorta proves my point.

Au contraire, m'sieur.  Access to this newsgroup is restricted only to those
so lazy or unobservant that they can't FIGURE IT OUT.  I did so without
even resorting to the (freely available) RFCs.  And if you're not the type
who can/would want to figure it out, why in the world would you want to
post to alt.hackers?

>To the person that asked me where my ob.hack
>was, well, wouldn't that sort of imply I approved, which I don't?

Or that you're not hacking anything.  What's yer point?  Why did you
bother in the first place?

>I 'spose you'd have the FSF moderated too, so only "real" hackers could get
>stuff from 'em?

No.  But I s'pose you'd have the FSF accept code from every Tom, Dick,
and Sally, regardless of whether or not it was written by someone who
knew what they were doing?

Ob. hack: Minutes after I got a PC C compiler, I wrote a replacement
for cd that understood forward slashes and CDPATH.  Felt good.
--

-- Mark Bradford (bradfrd2@ncar.ucar.edu)  <>  To err is human, to moo bovine.
                      "Why don't we boil the wolverine?"

visjames@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Leo Bicknell) (02/20/91)

>Au contraire, m'sieur.  Access to this newsgroup is restricted only to those
>so lazy or unobservant that they can't FIGURE IT OUT.  I did so without
>even resorting to the (freely available) RFCs.  And if you're not the type
>who can/would want to figure it out, why in the world would you want to
>post to alt.hackers?

   Being new to UseNet (only had access for 2 weeks) I find this group
amuseing.  On a side note, if you get this and I fugured out the self
modeeration correctly, please tell me.  It seams so simple! :-)

ObHack: I was working on a project and I needed to connect 2 switch
terminals temporarly.  I was out of Aligator clips and I didn't want
to solder it so I tool a paperclip and bent it so it would spring against
the terminals.  Worked like a charm.

--Leo

---
Just another day in the life........

bbs.dixie@spies.com (Dixie Flatline) (06/26/91)

How would one add a line to crontabs to add a user  with root privs to th e
/etc/passwd file IF there was not one by that name already exsisting?
I mean I know how to get it to add the line to etc/passwd, but how would you
get that IF clause in there?

--
Dixie Flatline (bbs.dixie@spies.com)

Spies in the Wire, PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX  -- (408) 867-7400

pete@ohm.york.ac.uk (-Pete French.) (06/28/91)

in article <m2F541w164w@spies.com>, bbs.dixie@spies.com (Dixie Flatline) says:

> How would one add a line to crontabs to add a user  with root privs to th e
> /etc/passwd file IF there was not one by that name already exsisting?
> I mean I know how to get it to add the line to etc/passwd, but how would you
> get that IF clause in there?

cron executes the commands with a boune shell - just stick an "if" in there.
The test for the if whould be a simple "egrep" for a user with 0 as the uid
should be easy enoigh to write something along the lines of...

egrep "^[a-zA-Z]*:0:"

-bat.
--
-Pete French. (the -bat. )         /  "Two wrongs don't make a right,
Adaptive Systems Engineering      /    - but three lefts do !"

"Look here, a Brit who has obviously been driving in California!"

okunewck@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Phil OKunewick) (06/29/91)

pete@ohm.york.ac.uk (-Pete French.) writes:
>bbs.dixie@spies.com (Dixie Flatline) says:

Why doesn't this surprise me?

>> How would one add a line to crontabs to add a user with root privs to the
>> /etc/passwd file IF there was not one by that name already exsisting?
>> I mean I know how to get it to add the line to etc/passwd, but how would
>> you get that IF clause in there?

   Why would you want to?  If something goes wrong you will trash
your password file, preventing anybody from logging on while screwing
the people currently logged on.  Since it's to be executed by cron,
it will likely happen when you are not available to fix it (assuming
you are the sysadmin for your site).  (If you are not the sysadmin
for the site, what the heck are you doing messing with /etc/passwd
anyway?)

>..."if"..."egrep"...

...not to mention at least a dozen different other ways to get the job
done.

   Actually, this is more of a question than a hack.  Requests like
this really belong in comp.unix or comp.unix.wizards, not alt.hackers.
You might also try sending email to cert@cert.sei.cmu.edu and see if
she has any suggestions for what you want to do.  (She's very familiar
with this sort of thing.)

ObHack: My Ob landed in the woods, to the far left of the fairway.