[misc.handicap] Why??

PANDORA.NIGH@f532.n157.z1.fidonet.org (PANDORA NIGH) (01/05/90)

Index Number: 6034

   Alan, I'm not sure why things are like they are or how to really answer
your plea. I think we tend to forget that doctors are not gods and even
though they have made some staggering advances in medicine and knowledge of
the human body, what is know on the whole about body function is still not
that great. Why don't you drop your post to the doctors and others over on
Grand Rounds Echo net and see what they have to say?
                         Pandora
P.S. Even if they don't neccacarily give you an answer or and adequate one,
at least you will make them aware and they can then think about things.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!532!PANDORA.NIGH
Internet: PANDORA.NIGH@f532.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Peter.Baker@p0.f129.n167.z1.fidonet.org (Peter Baker) (01/05/90)

Index Number: 6048

In a message to Nadine Thomas <12-17-89 16:52> Alan Hess wrote:
-> Thanks for your reply.  I have always known I wasn't the
-> will illustrate to both patients and doctors the fact that
-> we are all individuals.  Every case is different - you
-> can't generalize.  If your doctor isn't helping, keep
-> looking until you find one that will help.  *adh*

   Do I know what you mean I am a para T2 T3 and talk about PAIN S.O.B ing
pain has been with me 16 years and I am continuouslt fighting with stupid!
GP's that dont know there ass from there elbow.I have a MD right now thats
prescribing me 50 Talwin per week thats not bad really but when the PAIN a
real bad couple a days gets to me I am taking 50mg every 3 hrs & I run out
come the last day and thats a bitch let me tell you anyways I have been at
the task of trying to find out if Talwin is a prescribed med in the U.S &
if it could be bought over the counter that would really help anyways any
news is good news BCNU!!..............................Peter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!167!129.0!Peter.Baker
Internet: Peter.Baker@p0.f129.n167.z1.fidonet.org

Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hess) (01/05/90)

Index Number: 6053

I don't think Talwin would work for me - even dilaudid has absolutely no
effect.  It is the 1990's - time to regenerate the damn spinal cord, I think.
*adh*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Alan.Hess
Internet: Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Ron.Rothenberg@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Rothenberg) (01/05/90)

Index Number: 6063

 PB> is a prescribed med in the U.S & if it could be bought over the
 PB> counter that would really help anyways any news is good news
 PB> BCNU!!..............................Peter --- QuickBBS v2.61

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear about your pain.  Talwin is prescribed in the U.S.  It
requires a doctor's prescription.  In addition it is a controlled drug
since it has abuse potential.  Prescriptions must be renewed every 6
months and refills are limited to 5.

In general, the prescription drug laws are tougher in the US than in
Canada.  There are many drugs you can buy over the counter that can't
be bought OTC south of the border.

Doctors here are funny about prescribing painkillers, too.  I've seen
docs not give a dying man in great pain morphine, because they were
afraid of the addicting potential.  The man would be dead in 48 hours,
and they're worrying about him spending the rest of his 'life'
addicted.  Poor perspective.

Have you tried acupuncture and relaxation for the pain?

-rsr-

... There is no fate that can not be surmounted by scorn - A. Camus

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460!Ron.Rothenberg
Internet: Ron.Rothenberg@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Peter.Baker@p0.f129.n167.z1.fidonet.org (Peter Baker) (01/12/90)

Index Number: 6189

In a message to Peter Baker <12-24-89 17:42> Ron Rothenberg wrote:
-> since it has abuse potential.  Prescriptions must be
-> renewed every 6
-> months and refills are limited to 5.

   Same shit up here Ron on the other hand I have an appointment at the
Mtl.General in there pain clinic ...... Dr. Stratford he's alright just
never followed up on my case after I saw him 5 years ago I hope I will
get some things straight between myself & my GP its getting a real pain
in the ass running short all the time thanks for your feedback on these
topics of pain I know there are many of us out there I just wish the damn
medical proffession would understand!!!!!!
                                                        Peter