[misc.handicap] Magnetic Field Therapy For Pain Control:

cosman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Steve Cosman) (01/13/90)

Index Number: 6232

Burke.Brown@f626.n250.z1.fidonet.org (Burke Brown) writes:

> Bob, do you have any experience with a pain control device sold by Elec
> Medical Devices Ltd? (416-238-4860).  The device uses a pulsating
> electro-magnetic field to control pain.  The distributors make very far
> reaching claims.  Any comments would be appreciated.

My name's not Bob.  Since I doubt whether anyone named Bob will
answer your query, I thought I might have a go at your
Electromagnetic Biological Stimulator question.

The component which I believe you're speaking of is a "Masor".
These generate a pulsating electromagnetic field, as you
described.  Also, the manufacturer attended the Pain Conference in
Banff and planned on making great claims on the wonder of her
device.  Her company is: Alternate Medi-Electronics at Loretto,
Ontario, Canada.

While finding her paper to be rather superficial, I cannot claim
much knowledge of Thermology; the technique of measuring a body's
heat emission patterns.  Since I've a Masor at home and am always
eager to receive new information on such, I've acquired a book and
am reading it with *great* interest.  I don't think it fair to
comment much on the book until it's completion, but can speculate
that I *think* the Masor will function by a similar mechanism as
that outlined by Doctor Becker in "The Body Electric".  If anyone
is interested, I could post my findings after reading the book!  As
an openminded Biochemist, I would tend to believe her claims and
look forward with great anticipation to my completion of the book
and subsequent treatment of some of my physical problems (i.e.
scoliosis) with the Masor!

I believe those claims of a successful treatment pertain to the
relief of chronic pain, as opposed to acute pain.  This is where
lay the device's greatest asset.  The Masor may be set to perform a
type of neo-acupuncture.  That is, a depression of the tiny
acupoints, or neurological reset buttons on the body.  I can
personally vouch for the machines effectiveness in these regards.
My condition is a chronic one of unknown origin.  Secondary to this
is another problem.  This 'problem' is such -- a very painful one!
My feet feel like they are being roasted.  During one such ordeal
in Toronto, my trip to a Naturopath gave me incredible temporary
relief from my pain.  For those of you who haven't tried it,
Acupuncture really does function to provide temporary pain relief!

Hope this answers your question.

Steve Cosman				cosman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca