[misc.handicap] News We've Been Waiting For Tdd/ascii Modem

Ron.Rothenberg@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Rothenberg) (01/05/90)

Index Number: 6054

Hi Jack,

Here's some of the info on the IMS modem.  I don't know if it's any
good.  This info is from the TDI International Telephone Directory.
The fellow whose messages I posted is working on TSR software that will
pop up in the middle of whatever you're doing and tell you you have a
call.

IMS Advanced 2445 Modem:

TDD-TTY Compatibility:

  US/International Speeds.
  Automatic Baudot/ASCII detection
  Automatic Baudot/ASCII translation
  Auto Dial/Auto Answer
  Direct Connect

PC Compatibility:
 Standard Personal Computeres
 MS-DOS 2.1 or higher.
 Fits standards 1/2 card 8-bit slot
 Small enough for portable computers

ASCII Comunicationss
 300 bps (Bell 103J)
 1200 BPS (Bell 212A,CCiTT V.21)
 2400 BPS! (CCITT V.22 bis)
 Hayes 2400 & 1200
 Optional MNPS comperssion
     for 9600 bps Effective file transfer
  Improved Call Progress Status

Software: (included with purchase)
     Memory Resident
     Visible Ring Signal
     One-key answer
     Compatible with commercial software

For more info, please write to:

  Integrated Microcomputer Systems, Inc.
  2 Research Place
  Rockville, MD 20850

-rsr-

... Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much. - O. Wilde

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460!Ron.Rothenberg
Internet: Ron.Rothenberg@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Stephen.White@f853.n681.z3.fidonet.org (Stephen White) (01/05/90)

Index Number: 6092

OK - I still have the same question as I had a number of months ago.

But now I know more - so perhaps I can ask the right question so you
know what I want!
With the International Speeds on TTD's (sic!) what is the CCITT spec
number? (for all the speeds)

And with the US standard, where could I get the technical data, like
db levels for detect, etc etc... Just knowing the frequencies is not
enough.

And then, that damn terminal I'm getting built for me, and then programming
myself can be finished! And some of you lucky people out there might
get a demo model to play with, so I know how it compares against the
wunnerful US of A homebrews!

Steve!
   The Child of a Lesser God!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3!681!853!Stephen.White
Internet: Stephen.White@f853.n681.z3.fidonet.org

rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Richard Barth) (01/15/90)

Index Number: 6234

In Digest #1025 Stephen White writes:

>With the International Speeds on TTD's (sic!) what is the CCITT spec
<number? (for all the speeds)

>And with the US standard, where could I get the technical data, like
>db levels for detect, etc etc... Just knowing the frequencies is not
>enough.

  I wouldn't look too hard for a CCITT standard; finding it wouldn't help.

  TDDs use the Baudot code. The standard rate for domestic (U.S.) TDDs is
45.45 baud, which is the "60 words per minute" used on teleprinters back
in the days when everybody used Baudot machines. In Europe and elsewhere,
50 baud is commonly used. 50 baud.

  Baudot is termed a "7.42 unit code", because there are one start bit,
five data bits, and 1.42 stop bits. Granted 1.42 stop bits sounds a bit
strange, but it derives from the design of the old mechanical printers.
Today, electronic componentry is used and 1.5 stop bits is commonly used,
being available from UARTs such as the 8250 used in the IBM-PC and many
clones.

  There are several kinds of "Baudot" code.  The one described in the
CCITT standard (if there is one) is unlikely to describe the way TDDs are
actually built.

  Find yourself a copy of the ITT handbook (formal title is the "Radio
Engineer's Handbook" at a library. It will probably (my old copy does)
list four or five versions of "Baudot". One is the "International"
(European) standard; one is the weather standard used by meteorologists
and contains wind-direction symbols and the like; there's another whose
specialty I forget.

  There is finally one termed the "U.S. Military standard". That's the one
you want. It's also the standard used by ham radio operators, and you can
get it out of the ARRL Handbook (The Radio Amateur's Handbook, pubslished
by the American Radio Relay League, Newington CT.) TDDs differ from this
version primarily in ignoring the bell code (what's a deaf person gonna do
with THAT?) and the substitution of a backspace for the Baudot null.

  The other characteristics of TDDs are, unfortunately, non-standard. The
Electronic Industries Assn. (EIA) formed a special committee that labored
mightily for several years to develop a TDD standard. Unfortunately some
of the companies in the TDD business (who were participating in the
committee) went out of the TDD business. Those remaining couldn't agree on
technical details. A final draft of the committee report was distributed
to participants, and the committee died.

  You can probably get a copy of that draft from the EIA. The staff person
was Peter Bennett; The EIA Committee was TR-41. EIA's address is:

        Electronic Industries Assn.
        2001 Eye Street NW
        Washington DC 20006

  If EIA can't help you let me know; I've still got my copy of the draft
around here someplace - God knows where - and with luck I might even be
able to find it.