[net.space] "zillion fatal doses of Plutonium"

Ayers.PA@XEROX.COM (02/25/86)

Plase let's stop the "zillion fatal doses of Plutonium" non-science
nonsense in the space digest.

Slocum@hi-multics.arpa writes that

    This orbiter carrys a load of 43 pounds of Plutonium on-board. ...
    Plutonium is widely felt to be the most poisonous substance
anywhere,
    even if you disregard the radioactivity.  It has been said that less
    than a pound spread thinly enough could kill every human being. Now,
    imagine the shuttle exploding with this cargo.  Ten miles up.
    Practically maximum possible dispersion. In the very least, several
    thousand, perhaps several hundred thousand people would develop
    cancer and plutonium poisoning.

This statement is not science. It fails the basic agree-with-the-data
test.

I pointed out earlier that much much more than 43 pounds of Pu has been
vaporized in the upper atmosphere by A-Bomb tests. "Maximum possible
dispersion" indeed -- we're not talking about a break-apart here, but
genuine vaporization-and-condense-into-tiny-particles.

Slocum states that "in the very least, several thousand ... people would
develop ... plutonium poisoning" from his 43 pounds.  [Even though it
wouldn't be that well dispersed, and would be centered over the Atlantic
ocean.]

If that was true, then the entire state of Nevada's population would be
dead by now from the A-Bomb tests of the 50s and 60s.

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (02/26/86)

In article <860225-113525-3597@Xerox> Ayers.PA@XEROX.COM writes:
>Please let's stop the "zillion fatal doses of Plutonium" non-science
>nonsense in the space digest.
>
>I pointed out earlier that much much more than 43 pounds of Pu has been
>vaporized in the upper atmosphere by A-Bomb tests. "Maximum possible
>dispersion" indeed -- we're not talking about a break-apart here, but
>genuine vaporization-and-condense-into-tiny-particles.

   While of course this is correct, I do think that there is some possible
danger associated with an explosion on or near the launch pad.  An explosion
ten miles up over the Atlantic is not much of a concern, but it does seem
possible that an explosion on the launch pad could at the least contaminate
the launch area.  Talking about killing several thousand people is absurd,
but I think NASA should at least consider the probable effects of such an
accident...

   -- David desJardins

Slocum.CSCDA@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (Brett Slocum) (02/27/86)

I'm sorry but this is not "non-science nonsense".

A previous message addressed the dispersal question.  I remember hearing
during the news coverage that the shuttle blew up with a force of about
a kiloton.  Add whatever you want for the Centaur Upper Stage.
Certainly that should be ample to pulverize a significant portion of the
43 pounds.  (BTW, Ulysses had about 25 pounds too.)  Give me a break,
the biggest piece to survive was a 12 foot piece of the airframe, (as I
recall).

> If that was true, the the entire state of Nevada's population would be
> dead by now from the A-Bomb tests of the 50's and 60's.

There is a BIG difference between low altitude atmospheric testing and
10 miles up.  The winds at that level or anywhere in between are
significant.  Particles released at this level could remain airborne for
a long time, perhaps circumnavigate the globe.  In the shuttle disaster,
the big pieces did come down mostly in the ocean over a ten mile radius.
Who knows where the little pieces came down, or whether they even have
come down yet.

The population density within a 50 mile radius of Cape Canaveral (or 10
miles downrange, even over the ocean) is an awful lot higher than the
Nevada Test Range.  Also, I recall that there is a higher than average
cancer rate in Nevada.  I thought I was being pretty conservative by
saying "several thousand, perhaps several hundred thousand".

None of this adds up to conclusive proof of anything (I never intended
to present a formal scientific proof), but by that same reasoning, the
tobacco companies still insist that there is no conclusive proof that
smoking tobacco causes lung cancer.

Brett Slocum <Slocum at HI-MULTICS.ARPA>

animal@ihlpa.UUCP (D. Starr) (02/27/86)

 [concerning the claim that plutonium fuel from Galileo would have
 posed dangers had that probe been aboard Challenger...]

> If that was true, then the entire state of Nevada's population would be
> dead by now from the A-Bomb tests of the 50s and 60s.

The state of Nevada's not dead, but the state of Utah, which is downwind
of the bomb test sites, has an unusually high cancer rate.

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (02/28/86)

>    -- David desJardins
>    ...I do think that there is some possible
> danger associated with an explosion on or near the launch pad.  An explosion
> ten miles up over the Atlantic is not much of a concern, but it does seem
> possible that an explosion on the launch pad could at the least contaminate
> the launch area.  Talking about killing several thousand people is absurd,
> but I think NASA should at least consider the probable effects of such an
> accident...

Do you suggest they haven't?  I am, perhaps, naive, but I'm also married to
a conscientious engineer.  He can't be an oddity (though he *is* unique ;-).
I'm sure the engineers from the word go consider the possibility of an
explosion shredding the payload.  *I* wouldn't send a volatile substance
(especially something as gnarly as Plutonium) up without encasing it in some
pretty strong stuff -- and I doubt that NASA (even their ignorant beaurocrats)
would be so naive as to *not* at least acknowledge a worst case scenario in
their designs.  They may make mistakes, but they're not stupid.

Any JPL designers out there to affirm or nay-say?

Barb

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (02/28/86)

>Ayers.PA@XEROX.COM writes in reply to fears of plutonium poisoning from
>a space accident:

>If that was true, then the entire state of Nevada's population would be
>dead by now from the A-Bomb tests of the 50s and 60s.

Perhaps, but surely you've seen the several articles on towns near the
test sites in Nevada where the incidence of leukemia and other cancers
is alarmingly high and attributed to exposures caused by the early tests.
They are certainly not all dead, but I am not sure I envy them.

There seems to be a lot of agreement among the medical community that
there is NO SUCH THING as a safe level of exposure. Why do you flail
against this 'safe' assumption so? It took us 30+ years to accept that
(and still not universally.)

I do not feel comfortable with these people gambling like this with my
future. Perhaps if they would hear us it would motivate research into
safer sources of power for space flights? I believe at this point in
time nuclear fission is the easy way out for such projects. Surely we
can just label it unacceptable and provide funding for those who can
propose plausible alternatives. Fusion, for example, would appear to
be very promising and from friends who work in this area I hear the
funding is barely adequate, I have no idea why as they seem to be making
slow but steady progress and it seems like a wonderful source of power
for all sorts of things.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

> There seems to be a lot of agreement among the medical community that
> there is NO SUCH THING as a safe level of exposure...

I believe the agreement is that this is the proper assumption for purposes
of health planning, not that it is necessarily physical fact.  If nothing
else, there comes a point where exposure is an insignificant fraction of
the natural background exposure.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (03/04/86)

> I do not feel comfortable with these people gambling like this with my
> future. Perhaps if they would hear us it would motivate research into
> safer sources of power for space flights? I believe at this point in
> time nuclear fission is the easy way out for such projects. Surely we
> can just label it unacceptable and provide funding for those who can
> propose plausible alternatives. Fusion, for example, would appear to
				  ^^^^^^^
> be very promising and from friends who work in this area I hear the
> funding is barely adequate, I have no idea why as they seem to be making
> slow but steady progress and it seems like a wonderful source of power
> for all sorts of things.
>
> 	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Fusion may or may not be viable in the foreseeable future.
I've always been in favor of it, but it keeps eluding
our grasp.  Major problem seems to be one of critical size--
the smallest possible fusion reactor is HUGE, like maybe
it would fit in the AstroDome, maybe not.

Hopefully, someday, a great source of power for our cities
and industry.  But you'll never see one of these in space.
Several acres (!) of solar cells would be a better bet.
	mike k
PS: the real near-term solution is to beef up the shells
of the plutonium power supplies so they cana take a shuttle
explosion and crash into the sea without rupturing.
The present designs can *almost* do that now; I heard they
are verified to 1600 units of blast but the shuttle blowup
may be around 2000 or 2400.
The argument is whether they need to be beefed up the
extra 50% or less.

kwan@smeagol.UUCP (Richard Kwan) (03/05/86)

> >    -- David desJardins
> > ...  Talking about killing several thousand people is absurd,
> > but I think NASA should at least consider the probable effects of such an
> > accident...
>
> Do you suggest they haven't?
> ...  *I* wouldn't send a volatile substance
> (especially something as gnarly as Plutonium) up without encasing it in some
> pretty strong stuff -- and I doubt that NASA (even their ignorant beaurocrats)
> would be so naive as to *not* at least acknowledge a worst case scenario in
> their designs.  They may make mistakes, but they're not stupid.
>
> Any JPL designers out there to affirm or nay-say?
>
> Barb

    Well, I'm not really a designer.  At least, not for a spacecraft.

    Greg Earle and I have tried to speak to this matter in earlier
messages, though now we wonder if they got out.  I was at an "all hands"
briefing concerning Galileo a while back.  As of that meeting, the
prevailing opinion was that the plutonium WOULD NOT have leaked if
Galileo were in the explosion.  HOWEVER, after the primary investigation
is over, people here at JPL want to get their hands on the available
data and verify that.  What did they design for?  I have no idea.
(sigh... I'm not even sure who to ask.)

    But, ya gotta remember, any scenarios projected in the past have
strictly been scenarios.

    And Barb, I tend to agree that the engineers here are not stupid.
Some are a little weird... (please, JPLers, no flames :-)  {-: oh, yeah;
I can attest, each one of them is unique.  :-}

DISCLAIMER: I don't work on Galileo; I work on Magellan (Venus Radar
Mapper) which will fly economy class by using Galileo spare parts.
But that doesn't matter.  I don't know enough to speak authoritatively
on either anyway.

--
		Rick Kwan
		JPL Spacecraft Data Systems

jao@valid.UUCP (John Oswalt) (03/05/86)

I'm sure that 43 pounds of plutonium in the atmosphere would kill
zillions of people, for very small values of zillion.

--
John Oswalt (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!jao)

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (03/07/86)

In article <221@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>Perhaps, but surely you've seen the several articles on towns near the
>test sites in Nevada where the incidence of leukemia and other cancers
>is alarmingly high and attributed to exposures caused by the early tests.
>They are certainly not all dead, but I am not sure I envy them.
>
>There seems to be a lot of agreement among the medical community that
>there is NO SUCH THING as a safe level of exposure. Why do you flail
>against this 'safe' assumption so? It took us 30+ years to accept that
>(and still not universally.)
>
>	-Barry Shein, Boston University

I would greatly like to read any reputable articles on these cancers.
If they are truely as massive and epidemic as you imply, this should
be publizied more since it is in direct violation of all major
radiation tests done for about the last 30 years.

As far as no safe level, the reason scientists use the straight line
linear hypothesis is that it will assume the maximum possible danger.
There has been quite a bit of debate among researchers as to whether
this is too stringent of a criteria.  Even assuming it is true, the
amount of cosmic radiation hitting people every year (about 44
millirems at sea level) is far greater then the 4 millirems reaching
people from the world's weapon testing fallout.  What are far more
dangerous and common are the high levels of radon gas found in many
homes.   Depending on the amount of ventilation and geography these
radiation levels sometimes reach many times the level
allowed as an occupational risk.  I recall seeing a reference
that up to 10,000 lung cancer deaths a year may be caused by
indoor radiation.
--

Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicomed!meccts!mvs