[misc.handicap] Whiplash Injury Victims

Ed.Madara@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Madara) (01/05/90)

Index Number: 6098

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

There are over 4,000,000 rear-end auto collisions in the U.S.
annually -- many resulting in very real, painful and long term
whiplash injuries to the neck and back.  There's currently no
mutual aid self-help network for whiplash victims and their
families to share information, research, and experiences. But
recently  I spoke with Monique Harriton, a reference librarian in
LA, who couldn't find   very much on the subject went she was
injured. She started writing a book that   has now been published
as "The Whiplash Handbook" (published by Charles C.   Thomas, 2600
S. 1st St., Springfield, IL 62794-9265.

The book is the only one of  its type that provides rear-end
collision victims and their families with   information they
usually seek.)

Monique and I would be interested in hearing from any whiplash
victims who may be interested in helping to form a member-run
information and support organization for whiplash victims. Please
contact me if you know someone  who is.

In the introduction to Monique's book, Dr. Ruth Jackson, MD, FACS,
(described as  a national expert on "automotive medicine," and
author of the book, "Cervical   Syndrome" now in its 4th edition),
points out that "Ms Harriton has written an   excellent expose for
the victims of neck injuries caused by the whiplash   mechanism...
Although there are controversies concerning neck injuries, their
diagnosis and treatment, she has chosen some of the top-notch
authorities to   impress the readers of her book."

Hope this info might prove helpful to any whiplash victims.

  - Ed Madara, Self-Help Clearinghouse, St. Clares-Riverside Medical
Denville, NJ 07834.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Ed.Madara
Internet: Ed.Madara@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Dominic.Gill@p22.f102.n250.z2.fidonet.org (Dominic Gill) (01/17/90)

Index Number: 6271

In a message to All With Interest <31 Dec 89 13:03:00> Ed Madara wrote:

 EM> There are over 4,000,000 rear-end auto collisions in the U.S.
 EM> annually -- many resulting in very real, painful and long term
 EM> whiplash injuries to the neck and back.

Isnt (one of) the answer to this one making it compulsory for all
cars to have head restraints fitted as standard?

I have a friend who drives a Volvo 240 saloon, & who was driven
into from the rear while he was stationary by another car doing
about 65 mph.

The driver of the other car was killed.  My friend was pretty
bruised up & shaken -- tho nothing broken..  And especially nothing
damaged seriously in neck or back -- only muscle & tendon strains.

He was assured by the doctor who treated him that if hadn't been
sitting in a Volvo with the kind of tough, well-made head restraint
it has, he would have been either dead or seriously paralyzed.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!2!250!102.22!Dominic.Gill
Internet: Dominic.Gill@p22.f102.n250.z2.fidonet.org