[misc.handicap] Loop Alss Vs Fm Or Ir

dmimi@uncecs.edu (Mimi Clifford) (01/12/90)

Index Number: 6186

Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) writes:

> Inductive receivers ARE available for use with loop systems by
> people who are not fortunate enough to have a telecoil in their aid.
> We have these available (made by Williams Sound) at our SHHH chapter
> meetings.  I recall one meeting in a noisy location where we had
> looped our area.  Even some hearing people were using our inductive
> receivers in order to hear clearly.

The only problem with loop systems used with external receivers, is that the
installers of loops think that they are the system of choice because they don't
need any receivers to distribute or collect and, therefore, don't supply any
or they don't even know such a thing exists.

In fact, I didn't even know there were external receivers for loop systems
and I think I'm fairly well informed about ALSs.  How about some addresses or
manufacturer data.

Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (01/17/90)

Index Number: 6276

 MC> From: dmimi@uncecs.edu (Mimi Clifford)
 MC> Index Number: 6186

 JO>> We have these available (made by Williams Sound) at our SHHH

 MC> In fact, I didn't even know there were external receivers for
 MC> loop systems and I think I'm fairly well informed about ALSs.
 MC> How about some addresses or manufacturer data.
Hi, Mimi:.

Williams Sound, 5929 Baker Road, Minnetonka, MN 55345-5997
1(800)328-6190  is the manufacturer of system we've used.

HARC Mercantile, P.O.Box 3055, Kalamazoo, MI 49003-3055
1(800)445-9968 US; 1(800)962-6634 MI; 1(616)381-2219 TDD
is one distributor.  I'm sure there are others.  HARC
1989 Catalog lists Williams Sound Powerloop Receivers
List $86.ea. case of 6 receivers @40.06 ea.

The Williams receivers should work with any loop system.  There
may be others, but my experience with these has been positive.
I've seen the Williams inductive receivers quite often.  We
purchased them with our Pittsburgh SHHH chapter's loop system.
My daughter's church in Baltimore (St. Dominic's) also has a
Williams Sound loop system installed, and the ushers distribute
external receivers to anyone who asks.

While I strongly advocate T-coils in hearing aids, the loop
receivers are great help for those not so equipped.  We've
even had people switch to aids with a T-coil after experiencing
the clean sound of a loop system with powerloop receivers.

Some installers of jury-rigged loop systems may not have the
personal inductive receivers, hence your problem.

Good luck.

Jack.

Moderator note:  This isn't an ad - it's information.
Mimi ASKED for addresses and data.  My only connection
w/ manufacturer or vendor is as a satisfied customer.

... Huh?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org