[misc.handicap] HANDS ON SIGNS

Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Pat Goltz) (02/02/90)

Index Number: 6568

Grin. Your two-handed sign if you scuba dive and you're blind. You should
do that with your girlfriend.
  I wouldn't think it would be all that good an idea to scuba dive if you
were blind. You wouldn't want to turn the underwater into a feelie
museum. Some of the stuff is poisonous. And how do you tell which way is
up? Since you have had the experience, tell me what it is like to scuba
dive if you are blind.
  Pat

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!3!Pat.Goltz
Internet: Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Pickup) (02/02/90)

Index Number: 6577

In a message to Jerry Pickup <24 Jan 90 22:55:00> Brian Lingard wrote:

 BL> Entered 24 Jan 1990 at Toronto Canada.

 BL> Well I'm blind and into scuba.
 BL> Since you can't talk underwater, you use sign language.
 BL> Two handed if you're blind.

 BL> Same as deaf-blind people use.

 BL> Touchy business.

I think scuba would be real neat.  I have enough strength to stand with
no problem, but muscle spasms keep me from walking.  Being in warm
water cuts down on the spasms a great deal.  Underwater, I think I
would be able to move alot more freely.

I think it would be a bit scary to be under water if I were blind.
It's a strange and different world down there anyhow...

			 -Jerry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.33!Jerry.Pickup
Internet: Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org