[misc.handicap] Canadian travel for the blind

NRCGSH@RITVAX.BITNET (Prof Norm Coombs) (02/09/90)

Index Number: 6615

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

I am looking for some information from someone in Canada.   It has
been many, many, many years since I traveled there on public
transportation.   I wonder what are the rules for a blind person
and a guide on public transportation?  Can a blind person and guide
go for one fare on the intercity bus?  How about the train?  I
assume surely not by plane.

If there are any such privileges remaining, are they available for
U. S.  visitors.

The request will probably not be of general interest to the list, so you
may send mail via bitnet to me personally.

[Note from Bill McGarry: I'll make sure that any replies in ABLED
 on Fidonet will get forwarded to Professor Coombs.]

nrcgsh@ritvax

Thanks.
Norman Coombs

NDONALD@UOFMCC.BITNET (Nick Donaldson) (02/11/90)

Index Number: 6646

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

To my knowledge, there are NO consessions made farewise for blind
travellers and their guides. As was mentioned earlier, a
blind person and guide can use intercity buses with a consession fare.
Basically, the two ride for one fare. I'm not sure about the VIA routes.
I have travelled on both of CAnada's major air carriers and don't recall any
special fare previsions. AIRLINES want to make as much money from
as many people as possible, in my opinion.

| Nick Donaldson <ndonald@uofmcc>                  |
| University of Manitoba                           |
| There are two sides to each story, what you know |
| and what really happened.                        |

On Thu, 8 Feb 90 15:00:00 EST PROF NORM COOMBS said:
>     I am looking for some information from someone in Canada.   It has been
>many, many, many years since I traveled there on public transportation.   I
>wonder what are the rules for a blind person and a guide on public
>transportation?  Can a blind person and guide go for one fare on the intercity
>bus?  How about the train?  I assume surely not by plane.

I just called the Voyageur (intercity) bus terminal in Montreal. They say
yes.

VIA rail is closed after 8 pm. You might try calling them any day,
8 AM to 8 PM. Note that many trains have been cut since Jan 90.

For air travel, check with each airline. I think Air Canada might allow
guides to travel for free, but I'm not sure. If an airline says no,
complain to the friendly local regional marketing director. If enough
people put enough pressure...

>     If there are any such privileges remaining, are they available for U. S.
>visitors.

As far as I know, there is no distinction on the basis of citizenship.

>     The request will probably not be of general interest to the list, so you
>may send mail via bitnet to me personally.

Free travel for the guide is one of the demands being made by the
Regroupement des Aveugles et des Amblyopes du Quebec, Section Montreal,
lobby group for those with visual impairments. So, your question is
very pertinent.

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Life's too short to try and fill up every minute of it" :-)