[net.space] Size of the Galaxy

KFL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") (03/07/86)

    From: "Josh Knight"   <JOSH%YKTVMH.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

    As an aside, it is interesting to note that in the early part of this
    century, an incorrect accounting for interstellar absorption caused many
    astronomers to believe our galaxy was a small elliptical one, rather
    than the large spiral it really is.

  Actually, I think it was the other way around.  For a while it was
thought that this galaxy was unusually large.
								...Keith

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/07/86)

>>As an aside, it is interesting to note that in the early part of this
>>century, an incorrect accounting for interstellar absorption caused many
>>astronomers to believe our galaxy was a small elliptical one, rather
>>than the large spiral it really is.
>
>  Actually, I think it was the other way around.  For a while it was
>thought that this galaxy was unusually large.

You are both essentially correct.  Incorrect accounting for absorption
made our galaxy seem much smaller than it actually *is*.  An incorrect
method of finding the distance to galaxies made other galaxies all seem
five times too small, giving the impression that our galaxy was unusually
large *relative* to other galaxies.

Now why can't all net.arguments have a happy ending?  Everybody's right
this time!

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (03/07/86)

In article <[MC.LCS.MIT.EDU].841623.860306.KFL>, KFL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") writes:

>     From: "Josh Knight"   <JOSH%YKTVMH.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
>
>     As an aside, it is interesting to note that in the early part of this
>     century, an incorrect accounting for interstellar absorption caused many
>     astronomers to believe our galaxy was a small elliptical one, rather
>     than the large spiral it really is.
>
>   Actually, I think it was the other way around.  For a while it was
> thought that this galaxy was unusually large.
> 								...Keith

Both your statements are literally correct.  A small galaxy was imagined
when interstellar absorption was not understood.  Subsequently the
size of the galaxy was overestimated.
--
"Ma, I've been to another      Ethan Vishniac
 planet!"                      {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

>    As an aside, it is interesting to note that in the early part of this
>    century, an incorrect accounting for interstellar absorption caused many
>    astronomers to believe our galaxy was a small elliptical one, rather
>    than the large spiral it really is.

>  Actually, I think it was the other way around.  For a while it was
>thought that this galaxy was unusually large.

If memory serves me, current numbers list Milky Way as one of the biggest
single galaxies we know of.  Is there an astronomer in the house?

C. Wingate

mcgeer%ji@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Rick McGeer) (03/09/86)

>If memory serves me, current numbers list Milky Way as one of the biggest
>single galaxies we know of.  Is there an astronomer in the house?
>C. Wingate

	I'm not an astronomer, but the Milky Way is not an extremely large
galaxy.  It is the second largest galaxy in the Local Group (Andromeda is
far larger).  The Milky Way is big, probably in the upper tenth percentile
of the galaxies in the Universe.  But not "one of the biggest"

							-- Rick.