[misc.handicap] Response from Canadian Amateur RE: Blind Travel

LEAVITDG@SNYPLAVA.BITNET (Darrell Leavitt) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6707

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

regarding the info request for blind in canada: (from amateur radio operator:
Ray Elie, VE2DYD, relayed via N2IXL Darrell Leavitt (LEAVITDG@SNYPLAVA.BITNET)

MSG#53 02/11/90  14:08:21 FROM VE2DYD TO N2IXL
REPLY
IN ANSWER TO YOUR MESSAGE RECEIVED LAST FRIDAY,  IN CANADA THERE
IS NO  PRIVILEGES FOR THE BLIND FROMOUT OF CANADA.   THE ONLY IS
TO GET TOUCH WITH THE CAADIA NATIONIAL INSTITUTE FOR THE BLIND IN
TORONTO ONTARIO.  I HAVE COUPLE QUESTIONS TO ASK YOU ABOUT
TEXTALKE SOFTWARE.  FIRST ONE IS CAN YOU CHANGE THE TEXTALKER
PROGRAM BY MOVING MEMORY LOCATIONS. IS IT POSSIBLE TO MOVE THE
LOCATIONS TO THE HIGHER END OF MEMORY.  ONE OTHERQUESTION , I AM
HAVING A PROBLEM SENDING INFORMATION FROM THE APPLE TO THE VERSA
BRAILLE. THE OLD TEXTALKER PROGRAM ALLOWED ME TO DO THIS.  THANKS
VERY MUCH, HOPING  TO HEAR FROM YOU

RAYMOND ELIE

If you wish to respond, then I (Darrell) will get the message to Ray.
(LEAVITDG@SNYPLAVA.BITNET)

MAINT@UQAM.BITNET (Peter Jones) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6708

On Mon, 12 Feb 90 10:08:00 EST <LEAVITDG@SNYPLAVA> said:
>regarding the info request for blind in canada: (from amateur radio operator:
>Ray Elie, VE2DYD, relayed via N2IXL Darrell Leavitt (LEAVITDG@SNYPLAVA.BITNET)
>                                        ONE OTHERQUESTION , I AM
>HAVING A PROBLEM SENDING INFORMATION FROM THE APPLE TO THE VERSA
>BRAILLE. THE OLD TEXTALKER PROGRAM ALLOWED ME TO DO THIS.  THANKS
>VERY MUCH, HOPING  TO HEAR FROM YOU

Have you tried TSI technical support?
There are two critical factors here. The first is what kind of serial
card is being used in the Apple. The cheapest ones use the CPU to
serialize the characters on the output line. As a result, such cards
can only use hardware handshake, if that is implemented on the card.
More sophisticated cards, such as the Super Serial Card, assemble and
disassemble characters on the card. They can be configured for DC1/DC3
(XON/XOFF) handshake, although TSI recommends a hardware handshake
if possible.

The second factor is baud rate. If no handshake is possible, it is
necessary for the Apple to transmit slowly enough to the Versabraille
to receive the information without handshaking.

Hope this helps.

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Life's too short to try and fill up every minute of it" :-)