[misc.handicap] One-Hand Devices

Bill.Baughn@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Baughn) (01/17/90)

Index Number: 6250

Ron,

     Quite some time ago I started a newsletter with information on low-cost
low-tech methods and device which were useful in dealing with physical
limitations. I ran into problems after three issues because I was unable to
produce the graphics necessary to illustrate many of the ideas.

     I now have an exotic drawing package on my computer so I am going to try
to revive the newsletter. In a past post you mentioned information you have on
one-hand device.  I would be grateful for any information you, or anyone else,
can share on this and any other ideas.

      I also need ideas for visual and hearing limitations.

Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Bill.Baughn
Internet: Bill.Baughn@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (01/17/90)

Index Number: 6277

 BB>       I also need ideas for visual and hearing limitations.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bill, get the "Handyman Hints" booklet from S.H.H.H.,
Self Help for Hard of Hearing People, Inc.
7800 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda, MD 20814
for a compliation of low-tech assistive listening and
alerting devices.

Jack.

... Xpress Yourself!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f302.n141.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (01/17/90)

Index Number: 6279

 BB> try to revive the newsletter. In a past post you mentioned information you
 BB> have on one-hand device.  I would be grateful for any information you, or
 BB> anyone else, can share on this and any other ideas.

        Some years ago I came across a toothbrush that had dental
floss stored in the handle and a C shaped device on the handle for
holding the floss tight.  The allowed a one handed person to floss.  I
recently loss the brush in a move from Florida and cannot find a
replacement.  Checked several catalogs but nothing.  Any ideas or the
maker.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!302!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f302.n141.z1.fidonet.org

Ron.Rothenberg@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Rothenberg) (01/17/90)

Index Number: 6291

 BB> mentioned information you have on one-hand device.  I would be
 BB> grateful for any information you, or anyone else, can share on
 BB> this and any other ideas.
 BB>       I also need ideas for visual and hearing limitations.

Will do, Bill.  I'll keep an eye on the catalogues for unusually
innovative items.  Another good source is Accent on Living Magazine.
They publish a buyer's guide which is the Consumer's Reports of
adaptives, plus the magazine has reviews of real devices by people who
really use them.  They also publish a book called "Single-Handed: A
bood for persons with the use of only one hand."  Includes: devices and
aids; special techniques, tips on how-to; illustrations; other helpful
publications.  $3.50 plus 70 cents shipping.

More to follow.  Keep up the good work.  What drawing software did you
get?

-rsr-

... Only the young die good.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460!Ron.Rothenberg
Internet: Ron.Rothenberg@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Baughn@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Baughn) (01/17/90)

Index Number: 6308

Joe,

      Brookstone's is one source of a dental floss holder similar
to what you describe. It is not part of a toothbrush but does
store floss in the handle. I estimate the handle to be about
three inches in diameter which make it easy to grip. My who is a
double below elbow amputee has used one for many years with good
results.

Order a catalog from:  BROOKSTONE'S,  5 Vose Farm Road,  P.O. Box
803, Peterborough, NH 03460-0803.

      While on the subject of dental health I should also mention
the Interplax toothbrush. This is a rechargeable electric tooth
brush which has counter rotating bristles. My wife and I have
used one for over a year and have found it to be the best
investment we have ever made in taking care of our teeth. It
lists for $99.95 but can be found for 69.95 in many discount
stores.

      This is a good idea for everyone but if brushing
effectively is a problem it is indispensable.

All The Best,

Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Bill.Baughn
Internet: Bill.Baughn@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Baughn@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Baughn) (01/17/90)

Index Number: 6309

Jack,

     Thanks for the information. This is just what I am looking
for.

     One suggestion I received for the deaf is a do-it-yourself
alarm clock. A Broxodent electric toothbrush is put under the
pillow and connected to a lamp timer which is set for get up.
Make sure the brush is turned on.

All The Best,

Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Bill.Baughn
Internet: Bill.Baughn@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org

griesel@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Curtis W. Griesel) (02/02/90)

Index Number: 6543

I wrote:
I'm not sure I like the idea of a 120 volt wire (in the US)
attached to my bed all night long.  If you do this, be careful
that the wires are well protected, or find someone who knows what
they're doing to do it for you.

Bill wrote:
Why do you assume that disabled persons who might read your message
don't know what they are doing?

I reply:
Sorry if you misunderstood me.  By "someone who knows what they are doing"
I meant a professional electrician, or someone good enough to be one.
You may recall the original post suggested "bypassing" the vibrator's
power switch, and running long wires across the room. (Or maybe I
misunderstood the original post?)  The only assumption I made
about a person's ability was their skill with electricity, which I don't
think is a common skill.  I wouldn't feel comfortable with such a
device if *I* were the one who had made it; for me, 120 volts of
electricity is not something to play with.  I was trying to suggest a safer,
battery-powered alternative.

Sorry I wasn't more specific, and sorry for the misunderstanding!

-Curt
--
Curtis Griesel                                        griesel@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
                      Coordinator of Computer Access

PANDORA.NIGH@f532.n157.z1.fidonet.org (PANDORA NIGH) (02/02/90)

Index Number: 6550

   Hi Ron,
     So you think Cleo has one of the best. I find their catalog a little
hard to distinguish things in the pictures. They are located not to far from
me and have been thinking about getting someone to drive me over there and
take a look around their shop and check out the inventory. One of the better
catalogs I have seen is the Swedish Rehabilitation Catalog. They have the
best line of reachers I have every seen in one place.
     When I get over to Cleo I'll let you know what other goodies they
handle other than the ones in the catalog. Also their is a new company here
in Ohio that makes a shelf lift. This is a system that pulls out and lowers
the upper kitchen cupboard shelves. I have talked to the people who are
making them and I am going to try one out. I will let you know how well it
works. (Ray says just make sure I don't put my good china on it). I think
the idea is a real great one. It has to beat trying to pull something down
with a reacher and getting beaned.
                         Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!532!PANDORA.NIGH
Internet: PANDORA.NIGH@f532.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Jeff.Salzberg@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jeff Salzberg) (02/02/90)

Index Number: 6557

CG>>  attached to my bed all night long.  If you do this, be careful
CG>>  that the wires are well protected, or find someone who knows what
CG>>  they're doing to do it for you.

 BB> Why do you assume that disabled persons who might read your
 BB> message don't know what they are doing?

Bill, I believe Curtis's assumption might have been that most people,
regardless of being disABLEd or a-b, don't know enough about electricity
to be able to do that kind of thing properly.  I would tend to agree
with him.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Jeff.Salzberg
Internet: Jeff.Salzberg@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Baughn@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Baughn) (02/02/90)

Index Number: 6565

Pandora,

     I saw your post about one-hand knives.  The best knife for one-hand use
has never made it into any aids catalogs that I am aware of. This is the
Alaskan Ulu. It was originally designed by Eskimos for use in skinning seals,
etc. Shapes like a wide slice of pizza, the curves edge is the cutting surface
and the handle is on the point of the wedge. This places the hand directly
over the cutting edge. Cutting is done with a rocking motion.

    Information can be obtained from: The Ulu Factory, P.O. Box 1198,
Anchorage, Alaska 99510.

All The Best,

Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Bill.Baughn
Internet: Bill.Baughn@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Eric Bohlman) (02/10/90)

Index Number: 6628

 BB> In message <9800@bunker.UUCP> Curtis W. Griesel (1:141/420) writes:
 BB> CG> I'm not sure I like the idea of a 120 volt wire (in the US)
 BB> CG>  attached to my bed all night long.  If you do this, be careful
 BB> CG>  that the wires are well protected, or find someone who knows what
 BB> CG>  they're doing to do it for you.
 BB>
 BB> Curtis,
 BB>
 BB> Why do you assume that disabled persons who might read your message
 BB> don't know what they are doing? I suggest you read the footnote from
 BB> your own message.

I think he meant "someone who knows about tricky line-voltage wiring"; such
creatures are fairly rare in the TAB population, so I think it was more of a
general remark that he'd make to ANY person.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778.1!Eric.Bohlman
Internet: Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

PANDORA.NIGH@f532.n157.z1.fidonet.org (PANDORA NIGH) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6746

 Hi Bill, there is a rocking knife like you describe in the Enrichments
catalog. The Fred Sammons company distributes both Enrichments and their own
catalog. I have to dig them out and I can give you the price on the knife.
 Thank you for another source for the knife, it is great to be able to
comparison shop.
                         Pandora