[misc.handicap] Artic Vision and Procomm

FENTONR@QUDCN.BITNET (Bob Fenton) (01/08/90)

Index Number: 6160

I am using the Artic Vision Speech Package, version 2.03, with the
Procomm Communications Software.  I am trying to set up an author
profile in Profs, and I am finding that my speech program is not
tracking the cursor properly.  If it makes any difference, we are
running CMS Operating System Release 5 on the host here, and I am
running Vt100 Terminal Emulation.  Can anyone help?

Bob Fenton

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (01/17/90)

Index Number: 6263

Hi Bob,
I am not as familiar with Artic Vision stuff as I would like to be but I
will make some suggestions. Is the menu you are working with hilighted?
If so you need to configure AV to run that way. The other suggestion I
have is that sometimes if you have another kind of card in the computer
procomm will not work properly. Is the problem with procomm or AV. You
might try talking to the AV folks, or, I have a friend who might be able
to help. I will call and see if he can get on line, or if he can give me
the info you need.
Good luck, see you on-line.
Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org

campbell@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (Gary Campbell) (02/02/90)

Index Number: 6542

Could you explain more about the tracking problem?  I have seen a
problem with Artic, and I was under the impression that it was the case
with many speech packages, but I don't know where I got that impression.
The symtom is that Artic speaks something that it passes on the way to
its destination.  If you are doing a single character or line move this
appears as saying the character moved from instead of the character
moved to.  I have never written a speech package, so I may be displaying
my ignorance here, but here goes...  If I were starting to write a
speech package (and especially if I didn't know about this problem) I
would try the following:
The cursor key interrupt service routine (isr) would first call the
normal BIOS cursor move routine.  When the code returns from this
routine, I would assume that the cursor was moved and initiate the
speech function.  (Then I would find all of the problems with doing it
that way and why it isn't that simple-- things usually aren't!)  If this
is the way many speech packages, or Artic work then:  Think about what
happens when you press a key (oh boy that was supposed to be the
keyboard isr, and I'm not going to have time to fix this before my
bus...)  But the code that is normally executed, instead of causing the
cursor to move, causes an escape sequence to be sent to the host.  The
host then sends one back to the PC, which causes its cursor to move...
but by this time the keyboard isr has returned to the speech package and
it assumes that the cursor has moved.  Some speech programs, like the VP
and JAWS (I assume) watch for the cursor to move before they speak.  Is
that what Provox does David?

Gary Campbell

never post whenb you have to hurry!!

campbell%hpbsla@hplabs.HP.COM (Gary Campbell) (02/11/90)

Index Number: 6644

 Gary Campbell (campbell@hp-sde.sde.hp.com) writes:

 >moved to.  I have never written a speech package, so I may be displaying
 >my ignorance here, but here goes...  If I were starting to write a
 >speech package

 I would find out that I have a lot more to learn than I thought I did!
 After looking at my posting I see that not only did I not write what I
 was intending to, but that I was pretty much off the beam anyway.  Sorry
 for the hasty posting.  I'll keep quiet and let someone who knows what
 they're talking about answer.

 --
 Gary Campbell
 Internet: campbell%hpbsla@hplabs.HP.COM

David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (David Andrews) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6763

GC> Some speech programs, like the VP and JAWS (I assume) watch for the
 GC> cursor to move before they speak.  Is that what Provox does
 GC> David? Gary Campbell

Yes, I think that is what we do.  I am not the programmer, but as I understand
it, we are waiting for the cursor to move so we more accurately know where it
is.  Artic sometimes decides to quickly and is wrong.
David Andrews

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!David.Andrews
Internet: David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org