[misc.handicap] Special Olympics and adaptive athletics

stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) (02/25/90)

Index Number: 6948

In article <10287@bunker.UUCP> C04810JA@WUVMD.BITNET (joel achtenberg) writes:

>Index Number: 6859

>I'm a great fan of Special Olympics, tho I agree the name itself
>may not be the best.  The program provides an important training,
>recreation and socialization function for some individuals who
>might not otherwise be able to participate in competitive sports.
>Of course, I would prefer to have athletes participate in
>"mainstream" recreation and/or competition whenever possible, and
>would love to see adaptive sports (eg. wheelchair basketball, etc)
>included in mainstream events.  And whenever an athlete is
>inappropriately sidelined to Special Olympics it is misuse of the
>Special Olympics program, and the athlete him/herself.

About the only problem I have with the name "Special Olympics" is
that officially it is applied to competitions for the
developmentally disabled, but colloquially it is used as a
generic term for adaptive athletic events.  I don't know how many
times I've been asked whether I participate in the Special
Olympics, and I tell the questioner that I'm not qualified
because my disability is physical and not developmental.

I think that most adaptive athletic events follow the principle
of competition among comparative abilities--just as minor league
baseball teams don't play major league baseball teams, it would
be unfair and discouraging for someone with moderate or severe CP
to run against people without CP.

There is an involved classification system that divides disabled
athletes into major groups such as blind, amputee, CP, and
wheelchair (spinal cord injury), then subdivides each major class
into three to eight subclasses based on amount of disability.
Then WC IVs are supposed to compete against other WC IVs.  While
in theory this should make for fair competition, in practice
classification criteria are often not related to actual athletic
performance, meaning that one CP 8 might be very much better than
another CP 8 in the same event.  Another problem of the current
classification systems is that they are too finely divided in
many cases, meaning that even a fairly large meet will often have
only one or two people competing in the same class.

I have become less and less involved in events specifically and
exclusively for the disabled in the past couple of years because
of the problems of classification and the lack of interesting
competition.  I have also switched my competitive emphasis from
swimming to distance wheelchair racing.  Wheelchair racing offers
more competitions, an egalitarian attitude (usually there is no
classification or only very general categories such as men,
women, quad, and junior), and integration into conventional road
races.  (I also can't get peak speeds of 30 miles per hour in a
swimming race.)  Swimming competitions for the disabled, on the
other hand, usually have few easily available competitions,
involve narrow classification of participants, and are not
usually associated with events for the non-disabled.

Although my personal preference is to participate in more
mainstream events, my experience with competitions intended
specifically for the disabled has shown me that they can be fair,
enjoyable, and encouraging, and are not just attempts to shunt
disabled athletes out of the mainstream or patronize them.  In
fairness I should point out that wheelchair racers in a running
race are competing against each other and not the runners; I
think it is unfair to compare wheelchair racers and runners since
a wheelchair racer is much faster than a runner of similar
ability and training.  In that sense a wheelchair road race is
specifically for disabled athletes, but is usually either
associated with a running race or treated much like a mainstream
event.

An interesting side note is that there has been controversy about
the participation of non-disabled athletes in wheelchair racing.
Usually the arguments against assert that the non-disabled have
no business participating in a sport that is supposedly intended
for the disabled.  My opinion is that a wheelchair racer who does
not use a wheelchair in everday life is at a significant
disadvantage and will lack the skill and strength of a wheelchair
user, so I don't think there would be any chance of the sport
coming to be dominated by non-disabled athletes and there's
nothing to worry about.

--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.