[misc.handicap] braille printer

KEEPING@UOFMCC.BITNET (Don Keeping) (01/15/90)

Index Number: 6236

We at the University of Manitoba need to aquire a reliable Braille Printer.
We now have one which cost about $3,400, and is very flimsy
AND IS NOT CAPABLE OF VERY MUCH HARD WORK.
   We would like to purchase one for say less than $10,000
AND HAS A GOOD REPUTATION IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
Good warrentee
some way of having repairs done locally
good documentation with hard ware schematics
able to use output from standard translation software

If anyone on this digest has any knowledge of braille printers we should
APPRECIATE HEARING FROM YOU.
You may send me electronic mail at
keeping@ccm.umanitoba.ca
    tHANKS
     dON kEEPING

mattioli@took.dec.com (John R. Mattioli) (01/18/90)

Index Number: 6313

In article <9578@bunker.UUCP>, KEEPING@UOFMCC.BITNET (Don Keeping) writes...
>We at the University of Manitoba need to aquire a reliable Braille Printer.
>We now have one which cost about $3,400, and is very flimsy
>AND IS NOT CAPABLE OF VERY MUCH HARD WORK.
>   We would like to purchase one for say less than $10,000
>AND HAS A GOOD REPUTATION IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
	I have found three major groups of braille printers: Prices are as of
two years ago.

1. $3,000-$4,000 low speed personal printers.  These are fine for
small volume printing.  They usually leave the sound insolation to
you. If you've got A good basement, that should do.  Of course,
some are noisier then others, some have more features then others.
A few can actually do sideways brailling for 80 or 132 column
format.  I liked that a lot!!!!  I just need more then 40
characters per second (cps) (20 cps in sideways mode).

2. $12,000-$17,000 I looked at two printers in this range.  These
are the work horses.  The first one was being marketed by American
Thermeform.  I don't remember the name of the printer.  In fact, I
remember very little about the printer. All of the important facts
involved the dealer.  For example, we asked them to leave a printer
with us for one or two weeks.  They said ok until they got here.
Then they said no.  When we asked why they said that Digital,
because it is a large computer company, would have to sign a
non-disclosure form.  Actually, they wanted me to sign it.  This
form said (in a very unprofessional way) that I promised that DEC
would not develop a braille printer for at least 24 months and
that, under no circumstances would we ever develop a braille
printer using technology from their equipment.  I, obviously,
couldn't sign such an agreement (I'm a software engineer, not the
president of the company).

I could go on for paragraphs about problems I had with American
Thermeform, but I won't bore you.

The Thiel is the other printer in this price (and performence)
range.  I love this thing! It's built like a tank, it cranks out
pages and pages of flawless, quality braille, it's quiet and it
needs no sales force to sell it.  All it needs is good honest
people to discuss it's good and bad points.  I've had one of these
things at work for about two years now.  It's never required
service of any kind.

3. $30,000-$40,000 I've only seen one of these things.  The TED-600
is a huge monster that brailles doublesidedly.  It's a very high
volume device.  When I saw it, about two years ago, it had some
very serious problems.  We had to wonder if Enabling Technologies
had anyone on staff who could read braille.  Dots were missing, The
paper had rips in it, it produced loads of errors!  And it wasn't
just our printer.  ETC people finally admited that the bugs we
found might very well effect all of the TED-600's in the field.
For $30,000 you deserve better then that.  Hopefully, ETC has done
something to improve this printer.  If it worked well, it would be
fantastic for very high volums!

Since I have a thiel,  I'll answer your questions with respect to it.

>Good warrentee

It was either 90 days or one year I don't remember.  The one-year
service contract costs about 10% of the printer's cost.  This seems
to be fairly standard in this industry.

>some way of having repairs done locally

You can get repair manuals for the Thiel if you'd rather do the
work yourself.  Unfortunately, at the time I got the thing, a VTek
salesman made sure to tell me that I could only buy parts through
them.  In fact, he sounded almost threatening about it.  I assume
that, service manuals in hand, you might be able to get a local
electronics place to fix it for you.  Also, there is some rumor
that Thiel is looking at marketing the printer through a different
U.S. vender.  If they do so, service plans, warantees, prices, etc
will no doubt change.

>good documentation with hard ware schematics

Well, forget the schematics unless you by the service manuals.  As
far as the user's guide goes, it needs work (lots of work). Yet,
for the most part, the Thiel is a printer.  Hook it up and send it
ascii and it prints.  Setup is a bit interesting (translation:
frustrating).

>able to use output from standard translation software

I've not used the printer with any Braille translators, but I have
discussed the prospect with Joe Sulavan at Duxbury.  He says
there's no problem at all.  He's a smart guy, one you might want to
talk to about your printer choice, and I feel that he really knows
what he's talking about.

					John Mattioli
	Most improved skier (american blind skiers association 1989)
					and humble to!

(DEC E-NET)	TOOK::MATTIOLI
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!TOOK.dec.com!MATTIOLI
(ARPA)		MATTIOLI@TOOK.dec.com
                MATTIOLI%TOOK.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
(US MAIL)	John Mattioli
		550 King St. LKG2-2/BB9
		Littleton, Ma. 01460

Tom.Gerhart@f722.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Tom Gerhart) (02/02/90)

Index Number: 6570

Hi, every one, I hope some one out there can help me.  I am trying to
decide what kind of braille printer to buy for production purposes.  I
have a romeo at the moment, which is good when it works but I have had
alot of trouble with it.So any suggestions would be appreciated tom G

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!722!Tom.Gerhart
Internet: Tom.Gerhart@f722.n273.z1.fidonet.org

sport@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (ray.campbell) (02/09/90)

Index Number: 6623

In article <9956@bunker.UUCP> Tom.Gerhart@f722.n273.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Hi, every one, I hope some one out there can help me.  I am trying to
>decide what kind of braille printer to buy for production purposes.  I
>have a romeo at the moment, which is good when it works but I have had
>alot of trouble with it.So any suggestions would be appreciated tom G

I recommend the Versapoint printer from Telesensory Systems Inc.,
Mountain View, CA.  I have an older one of these  (from 1986), but
those newer than that have a lot of nice features (i.e. sideways  printing,
graphics capabilities, less noise).

Good Luck, hope this helps!

--
Ray Campbell, AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL
Room IHP 1A-338, (708) 713-4538, campbell@ihlpm.att.com

Chip.Orange@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Chip Orange) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6745

Tom,
     If by production you mean constant large amounts of braille material
to be printed, you should perhaps look at the next higher class of
braille printers rated for such work.  I have the TRI-170 from enabling
technologies for 170 characters per second and high-volume output.  It
along with it's main competator made by Teel run around $12000 to $15000.
 Enabling technologies has an even higher-speed higher volume braille
printer which can print on both sides of the paper simultaneously called
the TED, but I have no idea of the cost.

     Chip Orange

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778!Chip.Orange
Internet: Chip.Orange@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (David Andrews) (02/22/90)

Index Number: 6899

TB> Also I saw a demo of
 TG> Turbo the other day and it looks very good but can you do
 TG> multiple copies? tom G
 Tom,
No, it is not possible to do multiple copies from within Turbo Braille at this
time.  If it was something people wanted, we would take a look at it.  A number
of the printers on the market have this capacity, however, so it may not be
necessary to do it with software...
David Andrews

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!David.Andrews
Internet: David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (David Andrews) (03/01/90)

Index Number: 7014

 CO>      I agree with your opinion that Teel has the better
 CO>    reputation over Enabling for the higher end braille
 CO>  printers, but since they are made in Germany, I have heard
 CO>  that getting one serviced is really quite a task.  My tri-170
 CO>  has needed quite a bit of service (involving returning the
 CO>  embossing mechanism to enabling about once a year or so) but
 CO>  otherwise can really put the braille out. If I had to actually
 CO>  choose (I was given the enabling from Blind Serices here) it
 CO>  would be a tough one.

Chip,  I had a long talk with B. T. Kimbrough from Enabling the other day.  He
is someone I tend to believe.  He says that he considers the Marathon to be
their most reliable machine now, more so then the Romeo.  He says that its
initial problems have been cleared upl.
We are looking at buying a high-end braille printer at the New Mexico commission
for the Blind.  We will be borrowing a Marathon for a couple weeks in April.  I
will let you and everyone know how it goes.
David Andrews