[misc.handicap] A NEW CANE

Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen *) (02/02/90)

Index Number: 6575

Hi,

Well, when I went to my first NFB meeting, I decided to get a new long
cane because my aluminum folding cane is rather bent up and was
sticking quite badly.

My new cane is an NFB cane and is made of fiberglass and is a rigid
cane and I do like that it is very very light and my wrist doesn't tire
as quickly on long walks like it did with my aluminum cane.

Also, they decided tha my last cane was too short because I still
stumbled too much while using it, especially considering that I do have
some usuable vision. Anyway, one of the NFB officers and I went out and
"worked" for a little while and I noticed that the added length really
made a difference!

My friend and guide Kris says (laughingly) now I walk almost too fast
and I am always getting out ahead of him! He says   it's very
noticeable how much faster I walk now and that I seem to be
concentrating less and just "going". You know, I think he is right too,
I think my other long cane was too short!

The only thing is, I do miss not being able to fold it up and getting
it the heck out of my way! It seems like there are so many places where
I feel like I shouldn't just lay it on the floor, like in school or
something, because someone might trip over it or slip on it! My NFB
friends say that I shouldn't even think about it and that sighted
people should just watch out for it on their own.

Well, I have learned very quickly that members of my chapter of NFB are
very much into independence and letting you know that they are not
ashamed of their blindness or visual limitations, but neither am I.
However, I kind of feel that if I am "always" making sighted people
watch out for my cane (especially when not walking!) that then I am
letting my disability become an obstacle to them! That does bother me.
I feel like I am infringing upon them. So, I am having difficulty
dealing with a cane that I can't just fold up and put in my purse, lap
and et cetera.

Keepin' the faith!

.                         Vixen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen.*
Internet: Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

campbell%hpbsla@hplabs.HP.COM (02/09/90)

Index Number: 6616

Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen *) writes:

Index Number: 6575
>The only thing is, I do miss not being able to fold it up and getting
>it the heck out of my way! It seems like there are so many places where
>I feel like I shouldn't just lay it on the floor, like in school or
>something, because someone might trip over it or slip on it! My NFB

As you use it more and more, I think you will find ways to handle
those situations so that the ones where it is inconvenient will be
very few.  When I lay my cane on the floor, I try to lay it so that
it is as flat as possible, and also so that it is free to move and
not held by an object.  That may sound strange, but if it is free
to move, you may have to chase after it (is that harder for you
because of your hearing?), but it probably will not trip anyone,
and probably won't break.  Then, the biggest problem with others
will be that they will *think* they have done something really
terrible and feel badly.  I sometimes also put my foot lightly on
it as kind of a monitor-"strain release".  That way it doesn't just
roll away when it is lightly kicked, but I can let it go if the
pressure is great enough that it might trip someone.  I use an NFB
hollow fiberglass cane.  The little chain broke off years ago, so
it rolls easier than yours probably does now.  I have thought of
putting a bolt or something through the hole to keep it from
rolling, but I haven't done it yet.

Hope this helps.

--
Gary Campbell
Internet: campbell%hpbsla@hplabs.HP.COM

Jennifer.Switzer@f101.n305.z1.fidonet.org (Jennifer Switzer) (02/10/90)

Index Number: 6625

Hello Vixen,
You and I agree completely about the assets and downfalls of both types
of canes.  Have you considered using both?  Or possibly a telescopic cane
available from NFB, I do believe.  If not NFB then its AFB.  I get mixed
up sometimes.  I am glad that your experience with NFB was a positive
one. Mine was not.  I feel that some of their philosophies were too
ratical shall we say.  Don't get me wrong, i believe in independence and
not being ashamed of your impairment, but I think education and awareness
are more affective.  Not to say that there are not situations where
ratical means are the only ones that work. But it is MY OPINION that
these are the exceptions to the rule.
  I guess what it all boils down to, is what works best for a particular
individual in a given situation.
  My problem with a straight cane is that I am always trying someplace to
put it, too.  I don't agree that everyone else should watch out for it,
wouldn't it be a wonderful world if it was possible.  I am usually the
one that "watches out" for other people.  What I mean by that, is that if
I just stood around waiting for people to watch out for me, i would have
along wait,   Gota go.
Jennifer

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!305!101!Jennifer.Switzer
Internet: Jennifer.Switzer@f101.n305.z1.fidonet.org

Carla.Campbell@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Carla Campbell) (02/10/90)

Index Number: 6631

 V*> The only thing is, I do miss not being able to fold it up and
 V*> getting it the heck out of my way! It seems like there are so
 V*> many places where I feel like I shouldn't just lay it on the
 V*> floor, like in school or something, because someone might trip
 V*> over it or slip on it! My NFB friends say that I shouldn't even
 V*> think about it and that sighted people should just watch out
 V*> for it on their own. Well, I have learned very quickly that
 V*> members of my chapter of NFB are very much into independence
 V*> and letting you know that they are not ashamed of their
 V*> blindness or visual limitations, but neither am I. However, I
 V*> kind of feel that if I am "always" making sighted people watch
 V*> out for my cane (especially when not walking!) that then I am
 V*> letting my disability become an obstacle to them! That does
 V*> bother me. I feel like I am infringing upon them. So, I am
 V*> having difficulty dealing with a cane that I can't just fold up
 V*> and put in my purse, lap and et cetera.

Hey, Vixen... I agree with you on both points. I think my right to
independence stops at the point where I *unnecessarily inconvinience
others. The key word there is "unnecessarily", of course!  I have always
found the ridgid canes to be, while useful, awkward on buses and among
crowds.  Not only are they a hazard to sighted folks, how about your
fellow blinkies? I've tripped over a long ridgid cane or two in my life,
I can tells ya. <grin> 'course, if it really works better for you
traveling, stick with it. An alternative, though, is a longer folding
cane.  They make them in all lenths, and some out of that nice light
fiberglass, too. So, ya might be able to meet folks half-way and still
be as quick and independent and carefree!

... Happiness is a warm modem.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Carla.Campbell
Internet: Carla.Campbell@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (David Andrews) (02/12/90)

Index Number: 6675

V*> Well, when I went to my first NFB meeting, I decided to get a
 V*> new long cane because my aluminum folding cane is rather bent
 V*> up and was sticking quite badly.
 V*> My new cane is an NFB cane and is made of fiberglass and is a
 V*> rigid cane and I do like that it is very very light and my
 V*> wrist doesn't tire as quickly on long walks like it did with my
 V*> aluminum cane.
 V*> Also, they decided tha my last cane was too short because I

 V*> still stumbled too much while using it, especially considering
 V*> that I do have some usuable vision.
Vixen,

What you say does my heart good.  I used to have some vision and
used a short folding cane.  I started using a NFB cane in 1982 and
wouldn't give it up at gun point.  It is light, durable and has an
excellent feel.  Further, most people use a cane to short for them,
and overstep it.  I have also taught a little cane travel at the
Orientation Center here in New Mexico and have observed these same
things.  We require that all students learn with the NFB cane while
at the Center.  What they do when they get home is up to them,
however, we want them to learn with the proper tools in the first
place.  As you use the long rigid cane more, you will develop safe
places to store in testuraunts, stores, class etc.  It is mostly a
matter of what you are used to.

Keep up that good tapping.
David Andrews

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!David.Andrews
Internet: David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen *) (02/12/90)

Index Number: 6692

Hi Carla,

Well, you have pretty much stated how I think I feel about my rigid
cane versus a folding cane.

I think what I will probably do is, when I know I am going to be
out and around and walking or standing a lot, I will use my
fiberglass rigid cane, and when I am going to be sitting and things
like that, I will continue to use a folding cane. So, I will see if
I can get a longer folding cane for those times!

If NFB wants me to be independent they will have to accept my
independence from them as well. Using a folding cane does not mean
I am ashamed of being a blind person.

Keepin' the faith!

.                        Vixen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen.*
Internet: Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

rudy@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Avram r Vener) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6701

In article <9961@bunker.UUCP> Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 6575
>

>The only thing is, I do miss not being able to fold it up and getting
>it the heck out of my way! It seems like there are so many places where
>I feel like I shouldn't just lay it on the floor, like in school or
>something, because someone might trip over it or slip on it! My NFB
>friends say that I shouldn't even think about it and that sighted
>people should just watch out for it on their own.

Hi Vixen:

Whoever told you that is full of boloney and extremely rude.  You
are quite correct.  There ARE some situations where you just
shouldn't leave your cane on the floor.  Dim crowded restaurants
leap instantly to mind as prime examples.

I hope the attitude of leaving your cane anywhere you please
regardless of the inconvenience it causes to others is not a
general NFB attitude.  Common courtesy, if nothing else should
dictate otherwise.

>I feel like I am infringing upon them. So, I am having difficulty
>dealing with a cane that I can't just fold up and put in my purse, lap
>and et cetera.

There is an easy out.  I just bought two canes from (ta dahhhhh)
NFB.  One is their fiberglass folding cane.  The other is their
telescopic fiberglass cane.

The folding cane is very lightweight.  Much lighter than my old
beat up aluminum cane.  It folds up in the same manner leaving you
with a bundle of segments.   The segments fit together nicely
without sticking too badly but a bit of force IS needed to get it
apart.  You may also have to tamp it on the ground after assembling
it to get the segments settled.  The top of the cane unscrews and
gives you access to the elastic cord.  This is necessary since it
comes with the cord slack and you have to pull it taut and tie a
new knot at end.

The telescopic cane is a beaut.  It slises into a single tube about
six inches long.  Very space efficient!   You open it by pulling
the end out, preferably with a certain amount of elan.  and
collapse it by resting the tip one a conference table and shoving
the top down with zesty pizzaz (that got me a round of applause the
first time I brought it to a meeting).  The one problem with the
telescopic cane is that it can and does occasionally partially
collapse when you walk outside and the end strickes something with
sufficient force to break the friction holding one of the segments
at full extension.

I prefer the folding cane for outdoor use and the telescopic for
when I walk around my office building.  If I could only have ONE
cane it would be the fiberglass folding since the accidental
collapsing of the telescopic cane would outweight the benefits of
its smaller closed size.

Both cnaes use the NFB tip.  I bought both canes and ten tips for
$30.00 from the NFB mail order catalog.

Keep on keeping the faith.
Rudy Vener  uucp:att!mtqua!rudy  internet: rudy@mtqua.att.com

Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen *) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6735

Hi David,

Yes, I must say that, the "feedback" from the NFB long cane seems
to me, far superior, especially now that I have one the proper
length!

Also, as I was saying before, it does seem lighter on the wrist if
I am going to be walking around quite a bit. I really notice that
since I will only use the heavier aluminum canes when I use the
folding type.

I think what I am going to do is compromise. When I am going to be
mostly up and around, I will probably go with the NFB rigid
fiberglass cane and when I am going to be sitting down a great deal
and not moving around much, I will go with a folding cane. Besides,
having more than one cane will keep me ever so fashionable!

Keepin' the faith!

.                              Vixen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen.*
Internet: Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen *) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6739

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have decided to do just as you
suggested and use both a rigid and folding cane! It will all depend
on where I am going and what I going to be doing.

Well, I agree that NFB seems like it can be a bit on the militant
side, but, I will be okay because I am more into my own personal
independence then I am into conforming to NFB's defintion of
independence as a group.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen.*
Internet: Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (02/23/90)

Index Number: 6907

<"Hi Walter,
<"
<"Yes, I wouldn't mind having the address of the guy who makes the
<"light telescoping canes even if I do get my dog. Most of the
<"telescoping canes I have seen so far are just too big and clunky!

Hi Vixen,
I discovered a neat little cane from Afb that is really small. It's made in
Germany and is really light. I can't remember the name of it, but will try to
find out. It cost me about $20, I think, not sure. It fits really easily into
a purse, etc. will look it up for ya.

Take care, see you on-line.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Greg.See-Kee@p0.f404.n714.z3.fidonet.org (Greg See-Kee) (02/28/90)

Index Number: 6980

 V*> Yes, that is the one thing I liked best about my aluminum cane,
 V*> being able to fold it up and put it in my purse or just set it in
 V*> my lap.

If I need to carry a parcel, I fold me cane, put it into the
parcel, and stagger along without the cane, but carrying the
parcel.

I used a glue gun to make the handle of the walking stick less
slippery.  If it is leaning against a wall (while adjusting my
dress, digging into my wallet, etc), it doesn't so easy slip onto
the floor.

Putting my name and phone number was done with Dymo Self-adhesive
labelling tape, onto the barrel of the sick.  Oh, yes, the phone
number (for you ever so wealthy people!  Voice 61 - 2 - 662 6953.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3!714!404.0!Greg.See-Kee
Internet: Greg.See-Kee@p0.f404.n714.z3.fidonet.org

Marda.Anderson@p0.f4.n393.z1.fidonet.org (Marda Anderson) (03/03/90)

Index Number: 7066

There is a variation of canes for the blind which is designed to give
support.  The canes are shorter, so are designed to be used as a
walking stick.  They are called Autosupport canes.  They are covered
with the reflective material which allows them to be easily spotted by
drivers and others at night.  They are available from the Massachusetts
Association for the Blind, 200 Ivy St., Brookline, MA.  They come in
two different sizes, 36 inch and 33 inch.  If you would be interested
in something like that, I'll check further for you and find out
specifics, like how much it costs for overseas shipping and things like
that.  I don't have the catalog in front of me, but I think they sell
for about 15 dollars, U.S.  If you decide you want this, I can order it
and pay for it for you and you wouldn't have to mess with all that
shipping charges and so on and I could probably send it  less
expensively.  Let me know.  Otherwise, I hope you find something that
helps you.
marda

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!393!4.0!Marda.Anderson
Internet: Marda.Anderson@p0.f4.n393.z1.fidonet.org