[misc.handicap] Should I Try To Teach?

ncas@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Clifford A. Stevens, Jr) (02/09/90)

Index Number: 6608

OK, I have a q for the net.gurus.  I'm thinking of trying teaching
(My original career choice was to be a high school physics teacher),
but one of my docters told me that children were really bothered by
a handicap.   So it'd be a mistake to try to be a handicapped teacher.
But I've heard from other sources that kids can be very protective,
in such cases! So what are your opinions?

And are there any age groups I should look at more than others?  I've
already got one thing to consider.  I'm afraid if I taught high school
I'd get into a lot of trouble!  Because those high school women are
*VERY* cute!

------------
Give me a break, I'm brain damaged!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (201)957-3902

era@niwot.scd.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6703

In article <10009@bunker.UUCP> ncas@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Clifford A. Stevens, Jr) writes:
>Index Number: 6608
>
>OK, I have a q for the net.gurus.  I'm thinking of trying teaching
>(My original career choice was to be a high school physics teacher),
>but one of my docters told me that children were really bothered by
>a handicap.   So it'd be a mistake to try to be a handicapped teacher.
>But I've heard from other sources that kids can be very protective,
>in such cases! So what are your opinions?

Many of the kids in my daughter's class in the local elementary
are very accepting, in spite of the fact she's non-verbal and
doesn't walk, situp, etc.  In fact, she was invited to a birthday
party today, where all 15 of the other little girls present were
ABLEd.

Offhand, I'd say your doctor is the one who is handicapped;
he has a very serious attitudinal handicap, and that would cause
me to vigorously question just how good a doctor he is.
--
----------
Ed Arnold * era@ncar.ucar.edu * era@ncario [bitnet] * ...!ncar!era [uucp]

stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6706

>OK, I have a q for the net.gurus.  I'm thinking of trying teaching
>(My original career choice was to be a high school physics teacher),
>but one of my docters told me that children were really bothered by
>a handicap.   So it'd be a mistake to try to be a handicapped teacher.
>But I've heard from other sources that kids can be very protective,
>in such cases! So what are your opinions?

I have never met a child who was particularly bothered by
disability, but I've met lots of adults who were.  Perhaps your
doctor mistakes curiosity for disturbedness.  Nearly every child
I have ever met is curious about my wheelchair, and will ask
questions (that I am happy to answer) unless forcibly restrained
by their parents (which unfortunately happens all too often).

It is not a mistake to try to be a handicapped teacher, just as
it is not a mistake to pursue any career of your choice.  In this
case your disability is irrelevant to the career you are trying
to pursue, so you should not abandon your original goal of
becoming a high school physics teacher simply because you are
disabled.

--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (02/23/90)

Index Number: 6909

In a message to Clifford A. Stevens Jr. Vixen writes the following. I quote
most of it because her comments mirror mine.
<"
<"Hi,
<"
<"Clifford, I "think" for you to decide not to teach because you
<"have a handicap is just plain wrong, if you really want to teach!
<"
<"I think those people who tell you that you shouldn't teach because
<"the children "might" not be able to get over or by your handicap
<"is along the same line as saying "Children should be kept away
<"from handicapped people!" What would be next, removing handicapped
<"people from general society so children and sensitive abled adults
<"do not have to "see us!"
<"I have known a number of disABLED teachers who are happy with what
<"they are doing. I say go for it, the above thinking is terrible!
<"
<"As for my personal life regarding children and my disabilities. I
<"have found children to be curious, refreshingly honest and even
<"innocent when they have said something that might be considered
<"rude! Children are children! If you want to teach, then go for it,
<"the place for disABLED people is "in" society not "Out" of it!
<"Much luck!
<"Keepin' the faith!

Clifford,

I can't add much to this except to say if you can overcome those sticky
matters that you have to compensate for when you have a disability, then do
it. If you are blind, get the materials brailled, take extra classes in
Classroom management. If you are in a wheelchair, then, make sure the place is
accessible and roll right ahead! If you are deaf, well, communicate in
whatever way you can with the kids. Teach 'em sign if you have to do so.

Can you write curriculum? Can you plan lessons? Can you teach material in an
organized way so that the students will understand it? Do you like kids? Can
you discipline them? Can you work well with colleagues? Can you grade papers
fairly? Do you know your subject, as well as other related subjects? If the
answer to all these is yes, then go to!

First and foremost, believe in yourself and don't let anyone tell you you
can't do something until you've tried it. That is, of course, within reason, I
don't drive because I have been told I can't. I am blind. I believe them!
<grin>

Take care and "Give 'em Hell Harry.".

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Pat Goltz) (02/24/90)

Index Number: 6924

Both abled children and disabled children should have the opportunity to
be taught by a disabled teacher. My point in writing to you is that your
message implied that Cliff should teach the disabled, and my response was
intended to say that he should teach whomever he wishes, abled included.
Hope that clarifies things. I absolutely agree with what you said about
your own experience changing attitudes in both groups of children.
  Pat

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!3!Pat.Goltz
Internet: Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org

ncas@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Clifford A. Stevens, Jr) (03/02/90)

Index Number: 7020

Well, to tell you the truth, I've already decided to ignore any
discouragement!  I've already started the "Alternate Track" to
becoming a teacher, so we'll see!

But, I never was really worried about kids not liking me!  In fact,
I was frightened of the young women liking me too much!  I'm not
too terribly ugly, I've got a nice body, I'm very outgoing and
friendly, I would be in a position as a teacher they would respect
(Hopefully!), being handicapped makes me exotic and unusual, I'd be
active in extra cirracular activities, and the fact that I'm
handicapped and young women are trained from birth to be very
compassionate and sympathetic makes me frightened of what kinds of
things I might have to deal w!

------------
Give me a break, I'm brain damaged!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (201)957-3902

Paula.Mack@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Paula Mack) (03/16/90)

Index Number: 7182

Just wanted to say good luck to you.  I'm new on this Echo, but I don't
think you should let anyone discourage you from doing what you love to
do.  Society gives us enough mesages that we can't do anything, and if
we were to heed those mesages, life wouldn't be worth living.
   You're lucky to be so confident though, and sometimes I get really
tired of trying to deal with all of their narrow-minded attitudes.

Best of luck.  Paula

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460!Paula.Mack
Internet: Paula.Mack@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org