[misc.handicap] Software Development Standards

DON@WVNRTC.BITNET (Don McLaughlin) (03/22/90)

Index Number: 7224

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

We develop software that is used largely by state government
agencies, particularly state rehabilitation programs.  We are
interested in making software, intended for a general user
audience, be considerate of and work well for blind and visually
impaired computer users.  Does anyone out there know of any
standards, principles or guidelines that could instruct software
developers in how to write software the meets this objective?  We
would find it very useful and we suspect that other software
developers would like to know as well.  Any information or opinions
on this will be appreciated.

MAINT@UQAM.BITNET (Peter Jones) (03/23/90)

Index Number: 7253

On Mon, 19 Mar 90 17:26:00 EST Don McLaughlin said:
>We develop software that is used largely by state government agencies,
>particularly state rehabilitation programs.  We are interested in making
>software, intended for a general user audience, be considerate of and work
>well for blind and visually impaired computer users.  Does anyone out there
>know of any standards, principles or guidelines that could instruct software
>developers in how to write software the meets this objective?

1) Keep it simple. Often, the information sought is a relatively short
   text string, buried in a maze of graphics.

2) Beware of programs that do a lot of fancy work with the screen. It's
   often much simpler to ask questions of the user one by one in ASCII.

3) Provide hooks for attachment of auxiliary communication programs.
   Beware of messages that appear on the screen and then vanish.
   A visually-impaired user, using a braille or audio system to
   explore the screen might not notice the message before it
   disapears.

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Let your flippers do the walking" :-)