[misc.handicap] DOT & Disabled

ncas@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Clifford A. Stevens, Jr) (03/17/90)

Index Number: 7206

In article <10612@bunker.UUCP>, Gene.Sale@f8.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Gene Sale) writes:
> Index Number: 7144
> ............. The Department put one caveat on the order : Blind people
> and some other disabled peole may not be seated in rows with emergency
> exits.

OK, I'm not supposed to sit by the emergency exit because I might actually use
it and stop *BETTER* (non-handicapped) people from escaping! (I'm being
sarcastic!)  I don't know about you, but I'm very annoyed about this!
I dunno if I'm that altruistic!
------------
Give me a break, I'm brain damaged!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (201)957-3902
(I don't log in very often, so followup articles expire, so email is best!)

Jeff.Salzberg@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jeff Salzberg) (03/20/90)

Index Number: 7216

 GS> The following is an excert from a local news paper, that was
 GS> published by The Associated Press:

 GS> Another provision would give both manual and
 GS> electric wheel chairs priority in main cabin storage areas. The
 GS> ATA said that would " seriously diminish storage space for
 GS> carry on items of other passengers."

My heart bleeds.

 GS> among others prohibited from exit rows would be parrents with
 GS> small children , people who are too frail to operate the door ,
 GS> passengers with broken legs or other disabilities that would
 GS> inhibit movement , obese people and children under 15.  Marc
 GS> Maurer , spokesman for the federation representing blind
 GS> people, said the FAA rule " contenues  a pattern of
 GS> discrimination the Department of Transportation has permitted
 GS> airlines to carry on for some time

Actually, if we strip away the emotion from this part of the rule and
look at it from a safety point-of-view, it might make sense...but I
think a more practical (and fair) option might be to allow blind people
to sit next to the emergency exits (or anywhere else they please) while
making sure they know how to operate said exits.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Jeff.Salzberg
Internet: Jeff.Salzberg@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Eric Bohlman) (03/23/90)

Index Number: 7266

 JS> Actually, if we strip away the emotion from this part of the rule and
 JS> look at it from a safety point-of-view, it might make sense...but I
 JS> think a more practical (and fair) option might be to allow blind people
 JS> to sit next to the emergency exits (or anywhere else they please) while
 JS> making sure they know how to operate said exits.

How about simply removing "blind" from that last sentence?  Seems to me that
an able-bodied passenger who doesn't know how to operate the exit isn't going
to help things much either.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778.1!Eric.Bohlman
Internet: Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f302.n141.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (03/23/90)

Index Number: 7268

 GS> ............. The Department put one caveat on the order :
 GS> Blind people and some other disabled peole may not be seated in
 GS> rows with emergency exits.

As a disabled person, I don't think I would want to be seated next to an
emergency exit in the event of a crash.  In the case of such an event,
I don't think the disabled person would get much help but rather would
be crushed under the feet of the others heading for the exit.  In
reality, the chances of surviving an aircraft crash in a passenger jet
is highly unlikely.

 GS>  and prevent
 GS>  airlines from requiring handicapped passengers to be
 GS>  accompanied by an attendent unless the attendent is allowed to
 GS>  fly free.

This would mean that quadriplegic could fly without an attendant or
have one fly for free.  Who is going to lift the quad in/out of their
seat.

 GS>  Maurer , spokesman for the federation representing blind
 GS>  people, said the FAA rule " contenues  a pattern of
 GS>  discrimination the Department of Transportation has permitted
 GS>  airlines to carry on for some time

The Motor Vehicle department discriminates against the blind too.  I
think there are times when it is necessary for the protection of
everyone concerned.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!302!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f302.n141.z1.fidonet.org