[misc.handicap] Wheelchair "wheelies"

Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org (Michael Merrow) (02/25/90)

Index Number: 6953

CC> I think doing wheelies in a chair IS mostly a matter of practice.
CC> Keep trying, you'll get it! Just don't take out C1 -C7 while you're
CC> at it...

Thanks. Since I posted that message I -have- been practicing and I think
I am starting to get better at it.

Michael

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!Michael.Merrow
Internet: Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org

Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org (Michael Merrow) (02/28/90)

Index Number: 6978

 PG> I dunno. I wouldn't suggest trying to get around on the back two
 PG> wheels of your wheelchair. I won't let my kids tilt their chairs
 PG> back, and if I had one in a wheelchair, I wouldn't let him do
 PG> wheelies. Sounds dangerous to me. It takes as much skill as riding
 PG> a bicycle on the back wheel. I can't do that either.

Well Pat, I don't think it's quite the same thing as tilting a regular
chair back... and there are some real advantages to being able to get
around on two wheels... but I appreciate your concern. I have found out
from Steve VanDevender's response that there are people who have
practically got this down to a science.   :-)

Michael

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!Michael.Merrow
Internet: Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f302.n141.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (03/03/90)

Index Number: 7054

 MM> get a little better at it. The tip guards are set to catch me
 MM> just a couple inches or so beyond the balance point. I'll
 MM> probably move them up a little more as I get better at it, but
 MM> I don't think I'll take them off completely until the snow
 MM> melts and I can go out and practice on the nice soft lawn.

A friend came back from the Korean war as a paraplegic.  Almost a year
after being shot he was doing wheelies, lost it, and is now a quad.  A
high price to pay, according to him, for showing off.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!302!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f302.n141.z1.fidonet.org

stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) (03/06/90)

Index Number: 7071

In article <10422@bunker.UUCP> Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org (Michael Merrow) writes:

> PG> I dunno. I wouldn't suggest trying to get around on the back two
> PG> wheels of your wheelchair. I won't let my kids tilt their chairs
> PG> back, and if I had one in a wheelchair, I wouldn't let him do
> PG> wheelies. Sounds dangerous to me. It takes as much skill as riding
> PG> a bicycle on the back wheel. I can't do that either.

[Note from Bill McGarry: "PG" is Pat Goltz.]

Sorry, PG, but you are comparing balancing a wheelchair to
entirely inappropriate things.  A chair isn't designed to roll
back and forth like a wheelchair, so of course isn't especially
safe to tip back.  Balancing on the rear wheel of a bicycle is
inherently unstable because you have only one point of contact,
and only the most limited control for maintaining the balance
point.  In fact, kids who ride wheelies on their bicycles are not
balanced--they must maintain constant acceleration to keep the
front wheel off the ground.  A wheelchair can truly be balanced
because you can compensate in either direction.

Balancing a wheelchair on the rear wheels is no more difficult
than balancing on two feet.  It doesn't take impressive skill and
actually can allow _safer_ use of a wheelchair.

>Well Pat, I don't think it's quite the same thing as tilting a regular
>chair back... and there are some real advantages to being able to get
>around on two wheels... but I appreciate your concern. I have found out
>from Steve VanDevender's response that there are people who have
>practically got this down to a science.>:-)

>Michael

You are right to disregard Pat's objections.  And I'm glad that
I've been able to help.

I do have to admit that there can be dangers from balancing on
the back wheels, though, as I found out a little over a month
ago.  I have been recovering from a femur fracture since last
October, and a little over a month ago I had just gotten a cast
off and was negotiating the gravel driveway to a friend's house
when I fell over backwards.  I had balanced to ride down a short
slope and wet rims caused my hands to slip, preventing me from
keeping my balance.  Falling over backwards was enough of a thump
to refracture the partially-healed bone, so after a month of
traction I have another cast.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT BALANCING IS TRULY DANGEROUS.  In my
case, the injury was the result of previous circumstances; if I
had been fully recovered I wouldn't have been hurt at all.  In
fact, falling over backwards is far less likely to cause injury
than flipping over forwards, and if you ever find yourself about
to go out of control on a downhill I would recommend ditching
backwards instead of risking hitting a lip at high speed and
smashing your head into the ground.  (My original fracture was
caused by hitting a crack in a sidewalk at speed on the flat.)
If you are used to balancing, you will find that when you fall
backwards you will be curled forward, which protects your head
and makes for a gentle landing since you land on the flat of your
shoulders.

If you're really adventurous, you can try riding down stairs on
the rear wheels.  I've seen it down, but I won't hop down
anything worse than relatively low curbs.

So keep practicing, Michael.  Being able to balance your 'chair
will give you more opportunities and confidence.  Besides, it
impresses the bipeds.

--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.

Ron.Rothenberg@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Rothenberg) (03/16/90)

Index Number: 7177

 JC> A friend came back from the Korean war as a paraplegic.  Almost
 JC> a year after being shot he was doing wheelies, lost it, and is
 JC> now a quad.  A high price to pay, according to him, for showing
 JC> off.

I think head injury would be a big problem, too.  Wear your bicycle
helmet while learning to do wheelies!

-RSR-

... When I want your opinion I'll give it to you.  L.J. Peter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460!Ron.Rothenberg
Internet: Ron.Rothenberg@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org (Michael Merrow) (03/16/90)

Index Number: 7187

 SV> So keep practicing, Michael.  Being able to balance your
 SV> 'chair will give you more opportunities and confidence.
 SV> Besides, it impresses the bipeds.

You know, there *is* one particular biped of the female persuasion that I
have become very interested in lately, and I've come across a question
that maybe you or someone else here with wheelchair experience might be
able to answer... No, it's nothing like *that* :-). It just turns out
that she is very fond of going to the beach and I used to love to do that
too, before I became a wheelchair user. Considering that summer is going
to be here soon (I hope, I hope) I was wondering if you might have any
ideas on how to overcome the logistical nightmare I foresee of trying to
maneuver around in sand with a wheelchair? Thanks.

Michael

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!Michael.Merrow
Internet: Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org

Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org (Michael Merrow) (03/16/90)

Index Number: 7188

 PG> Wheels are a lot less stable than legs, dontcha know, I
 PG> would be MORE reluctant to try wheelies than I would be
 PG> to tilt my chair back.

Again, I think Steve VanDevender explained it better than I can. I am
only beginning to learn from my own experience in practicing that the
dynamics of balancing in a chair are different than what you might think.
There's almost no risk of me tipping over sideways, as with a regular
chair and forward and backward tipping are controllable because of the
fact that I am able to move the chair itself along the ground to
compensate for the my own lack of balance.

Michael

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!Michael.Merrow
Internet: Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org

stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) (03/17/90)

Index Number: 7202

In article <10685@bunker.UUCP> Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org
(Michael Merrow) writes:

>Index Number: 7187
>You know, there *is* one particular biped of the female persuasion that I
>have become very interested in lately, and I've come across a question
>that maybe you or someone else here with wheelchair experience might be
>able to answer... No, it's nothing like *that* :-). It just turns out
>that she is very fond of going to the beach and I used to love to do that
>too, before I became a wheelchair user. Considering that summer is going
>to be here soon (I hope, I hope) I was wondering if you might have any
>ideas on how to overcome the logistical nightmare I foresee of trying to
>maneuver around in sand with a wheelchair? Thanks.

>Michael

I once saw an ad for a wheelchair designed to run on sand, but it
looked pretty bad since the wheels were basically flat circular
bands.  If it had pushrims, which it didn't, I'd have worried
about slitting my wrists on the wheels.

Fortunately, there do exist wide tires and rims for 'chairs that
can be used on rough ground, allowing you to do things like hike
on dirt trails and probably get around easier on the sand.  I
can't give you any references off-hand, but you could probably
find some ads in magazines like Sports 'n' Spokes.  The ones I
saw advertised a while back were called "Trail Wheels" and were
basically mountain bike tires and rims with pushrims and
wheelchair hubs, available in up to 2-inch wide sizes.

If you can find back issues of S'n'S, look for the one with the
cover shot of a guy rapelling down a rock face in a 'chair.  It's
a zinger of a cover--definitely shocks the bipeds.
--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.
Symptoms include lack of traffic sense, slow rate of travel, and the
classic, easily recognized behavior known as walking."

Ken.Willoughby@f101.n305.z1.fidonet.org (Ken Willoughby) (03/22/90)

Index Number: 7233

>... Considering that summer is going to be here soon (I hope, I
>hope) I was wondering ... how to overcome the
>logistical nightmare ... to maneuver around in sand with a
>wheelchair? Thanks.
   I read your message about trying to use a wheelchair in sand.
Here is one way to do it but, I don't have a workshop or ability
to build it myself. That is, convert the wheelchair to a tracked
vehicle. The tracks would have to be about 6 inches wide with
horizontal ribs every half inch or so. The wheels of the chair
would ride in grooves on the topside of the rubber track. You
would need 2 sets of fixed wheels in front of the chair and 2 more
back of each shoulder. Think of something like a huge A frame on
each side of the wheelchair. You would then use the normal way
of moving your wheelchair except that it is running on the rubber
tracks not sand. You would turn the normal way except that if you
turn too sharp or violently you will make the wheels jump out of
the tracks. Theoretically, this setup could even climb stairs.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!305!101!Ken.Willoughby
Internet: Ken.Willoughby@f101.n305.z1.fidonet.org

Debbie.Mandel@p1.f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org (Debbie Mandel) (03/23/90)

Index Number: 7271

In a message of < 7 Mar 90 13:53:05>, Michael Merrow (1:141/420) writes:

 >There's almost no risk of me tipping over sideways, as with a regular
 >chair and forward and backward tipping are controllable because of the
 >fact that I am able to move the chair itself along the ground to
 >compensate for the my own lack of balance.
 >
 >Michael

When I used to work in a rehab facility (a long time ago), we had a chair
with a folding thing on the back with little wheels that you could pull out.
That way, the person could practice wheelies as much as they wanted until
they got the balance point right.  If they went over too far, the thing on
the back would catch them and there would be no danger.  I had one guy (I
think his injury was somewhere around T-1, and he was wearing a brace at the
time), who used it for about two weeks and never needed it again.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!233!15.1!Debbie.Mandel
Internet: Debbie.Mandel@p1.f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org