[misc.handicap] Medical profession

Laura.Irby@f260.n271.z1.fidonet.org (Laura Irby) (05/25/90)

Index Number: 8507

I believe it is past "disgrace" it is in critical condition.  Almost
two thirds of Americans have only token health insurance or none at
all.  The facilities and doctors set whatever charge they choose, the
insurance companies usually decide that a portion of that charge was
excessive & so they won't consider it. Then, if you have GOOD coverage
they Might pay 80%.  The buck doesn't stop with the health care
consumer, it goes out of his pocket into thin air.  Only when people in
mass protest to their congressmen will they even consider a change

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!271!260!Laura.Irby
Internet: Laura.Irby@f260.n271.z1.fidonet.org

ncas@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Clifford A. Stevens, Jr) (05/25/90)

Index Number: 8513

In article <11924@bunker.UUCP>, Greg.See-Kee@f631.n712.z3.fidonet.org
(Greg See-Kee) writes:
> Index Number: 8367

> >>Well, since you are on my favorite subject, may I jump in?  I'm sick of
> >>people telling me to accept my daughters abilities, and not encourage her to
> >>push herself to achieve more.
>
>  FW>         Yes it't amazing how often people can achieve results when
>  FW> given an opportunity. It's too bad they are making it harder. My
>  FW> objection is when the Medical profession says there's no poblem or
>  FW> it won't ever get worse.

I don't know how, but I guess I have been talking to a different
medical profession! The one I have talked to *NEVER* made
predictions!  When you'd ask a question, they would say, "Everyone
is different, so we can't predict!".  I was getting d*mn tired of
this, I'd say, "OK, so give me the Mean and Standard Deviation!",
but they never would.

> But you have both seen how many people can't hasndle reality.
>
> The professional do-gooders of all kinds - they know that most
> people cannot handle full reality.
>
> So they say sweet nothings, thinking that these "lies" are not
> hurting anyone.  Most times, the "white lies" are temporarily
> reassuring.

I'm confused, are you mad at professionals for saying "white lies",
or saying outright incorrect medical statements?

Like by white lies I mean, "Everyone's different, so we can't even
guess.", but an outright incorrect statement might be "It won't
ever get worse.".  If you are complaining about white lies by
non-professionals, then why worry?  Just put their statements in
the bit-bucket and don't even parse!  I mean, if a non-professional
says *ANYTHING* to me, he's got to walk on water before I'll
believe him!  But if he does walk on water, I'll believe!

> I remember the many visitors I had.  They think that I did not
> die, that I was saved from being a vegetable because of their
> private discussions with their Spirit(s) (several brand names,
> several religions).
>
> I worked in medical research long enough to know it was the
> advanced technology that made me what I am today - not dead, and
> not a vegetable.

OK, but maybe it was their "Spirit(s)" who caused your injury
(Whatever it was.) to happen in an age advanced enough to save
you?  I mean, if your injury happened in 1800, would you be alive?
And if it'd happened in 2500 would you have any deficits?

> If you want to attack "white lies", why don't you try attacking
> those who need these "white lies"?

Why?

> Because the reality is that most people cannot hanld disaster
> easily.   And every professional do-gooder knows this.

I don't see how this is a problem, most people never have to face
the type of problem that entitles you to post opinions in this
newsgroup.  Or are you complaining about professional do-gooders?
I nerver liked the idea behind them anyway, I mean living off of
others misfortunes!

------------
Give me a break, I'm brain damaged!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (201)957-3902
(I don't log in very often, so followup articles expire, so email is best!)

Laura.Irby@f210.n271.z1.fidonet.org (Laura Irby) (05/31/90)

Index Number: 8546

I am lost on the "win" or "convert" portion of your message.
However, the general public seems to wish to take control of their own
lives, make their own decisions concerning their own lives & face the
consequences of those decisions.  The medical profession, not the only
profession of which this is true but, probably the most critical to the
safety of life & limb, has not matured to the level, where they are
willing to release their god-like power.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!271!210!Laura.Irby
Internet: Laura.Irby@f210.n271.z1.fidonet.org

Laura.Irby@f260.n271.z1.fidonet.org (Laura Irby) (06/01/90)

Index Number: 8554

Amen to that, sometimes these legislators have developed some O.B.S.
senility & can't even find their own office.  It just struck me.  I
cannot think of but one handicapped legislator [Hawaii]
Trouble is, Americans will join together for one proposal only, after
that people become fragmented into splinter groups & split the forces.
The word would have to get out on a large scale & everyone push their
legislators within a short time frame [legislators do not seem to have
very long memories]  Maybe the AARP or some such organization could
work on the problem.  It would be best, already put together in a
workable form before presentation.  If Congress begins a study it would
probably take several terms & I don't think the pressure could be kept
up that long.