[misc.handicap] time-altered speech

cjohn975@pallas.athenanet.com (John Johnson) (05/31/90)

Index Number: 8529

In article <12015@bunker.UUCP> Al Cavalier (Al.Cavalier@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org)
writes:
>Index Number: 8450
>

>   Does anyone know of any companies that offerecorders that permit the
>playback of time-altered speech, i.e., speech that can be played back at
>up to 300% of normal speeds and down to 50% of normal speeds without the
>typical distortions in pitch? Sometimes this is called speech compression
>and expansion (but not in the "file compression" sense.

I have a machine made by American Printinghouse for the Blind (model
3-5184A also called the "handicassette) which is a small four-track
recorder with three controls for speech compression: the on/off switch:
pich; and speed.  I purchased mine for about $140.00.  It includes a
nicad battery pack and a battery clip for regular AA batteries.  I
think the speech restoration is quite clear (puts the C-80 Lib. of
Congress players to shame ((but what wouldn't?)) and it comes with a
small set of mono headphones.  I've had mine for almost a year and
have had no problems.  Hope this helps.

--Chip-- (cjohn975@athenanet.com or uunet!pallas!cjohn975

DLGRAHM@ccm.UManitoba.CA (Delphine Graham) (06/03/90)

Index Number: 8579

Al.Cavalier@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Al Cavalier) writes
>  Does anyone know of any companies that offerecorders that permit the
> playbackof time-altered speech, i.e., speech that can be played back at
> up to 300% of normal speeds and down to 50% of normal speeds without the
> typical distortions in pitch? Sometimes this is called speech compression
> and expansion (but not in the "file compression" sense.

>  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

American Printing House for the Blind in Louisville, Kentucky
has had a tape recorder called "Handi-Cassette' built which
provides the capabilities requested.
I am certain that any organization which provides services
to blind or visually impaired individuals could sell you one.
The player contains the option of variable speed and pitch
control if desired as well as some other lovely featuress
which, I am sure, you will appreciate such as 4 track capability,
recording at slow speeds and an index button which allows
you to, through a beep tone, to index your tapes when they
are rewound or fast-forwarded.
It may not play in stereo, but it's the nicest thing since
sliced bread for portability and efficiency.
I use it at all my meetings, taping lectures in classroom
situations and for just plain recording.
Hope this helps.

Del Graham
University of Manitoba