[misc.handicap] Certified Handicapped

Bill.Elwood@f52.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Elwood) (06/05/90)

Index Number: 8632

Has anyone else out there had problems with getting "Certified" as
being disabled. Social Security seems to have a number of ways of
defining this... as do most other "nets". I have sent letters from my
Dr. stating that I can't work and to my surprise they have the gall to
say that does'nt matter. This is wierd. Has anyone else had experience
with this?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!52!Bill.Elwood
Internet: Bill.Elwood@f52.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Betty.Draughon@p10.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Betty Draughon) (06/05/90)

Index Number: 8651

In a message to All <31 May 90  0:02:00> Bill Elwood wrote:

 BE> Has anyone else out there had problems with getting "Certified" as
 BE> being disabled.

Most folks that draw Social Security have trouble, Bill.  I didn't
get your note until the morning of 06/02, so I can't get in touch
with the local Social Security office to see where to point you.

 BE> Social Security seems to have a number of ways of
 BE> defining this...

     You'd better believe it!

 BE> I have sent letters from
 BE> my Dr. stating that I can't work and to my surprise they have the
 BE> gall to say that does'nt matter.

Well, it doesn't - to them.  They deal with countless claims day in
and day out from people trying to get SS benefits that are not
worthy or do not qualify for the benefit.  This makes it all the
more difficult for those who DO qualify to get certified.  It takes
time.  LOTS of time.  And patience.  LOTS of that, too.

 BE> This is wierd. Has anyone else had experience with this?

It is weird, and I haven't had first hand experience, but have
assisted a few.  Start with a call to your local SS office.  They
may want you to come in for an interview. Get the forms THEY need,
and have them filled out by your physician.  He'll send them in,
and after what seems an enternity, you'll get a letter informing
you that they want you to be seen by a physician who does
examinations for them.  They may actually have gone to the extent
that they've made an appointment with him for you.  If they have,
do your dead level best to keep the appointment.  Take with you to
his/her office the documentation from your own physician on your
condition.  This physician will then write a narrative report to
SS, and include his physical findings, impressions, prognosis, and
recommendation.

SS then has the option to ask you to see yet another physician to
verify the findings of the first two.  These examinations are not
at your expense, dollar-wise, just physical-wise, and time-wise.
The only really good thing about this is that once you have been
approved, your pension will be retoactive to the day you applied
for benefits.

That doesn't help much with day to day survival until the benefits
do come through, but there are usually local and state agencies, as
well as numerous chuch groups, that can come to your aid until your
benefits come through, so that you don't face starvation.  Don't be
afraid to ask, and don't be self-conscious about picking up the
phone and telling someone you need help.

If there seems to be a longer than usual delay without response
from SS, you might write your congressman.  It's an election year,
and he/she might not want the added press of not providing
assistance to someone in need.  If he/she doesn't come through with
at least an answer to your letter, given sufficient time to process
it, you can always write your local paper and explain his lack of
interest.  That should get him/her off dead center.

Don't expect that your congressman can actually accomplish getting
you approved, but be advised that he/she has friends that can warm
the fires over at the SS office, and might be able to speed the
processing up just a bit.

The services are there for us to utilize, but not to abuse.  Play
by their rules and unless such time arises that you are denied your
benefits, don't fight them.  If you are denied benefits without
just cause, you can appeal, and THEN you can call a spade a spade.

Regardless of the years you have paid into Social Security,
regardless of your age, regardless of your disability (permanent or
not, you didn't say), don't ever let them forget that they are
doing you a favor by allowing you to collect that which is
rightfully yours.  That is their attitude, and you're playing their
game on their home court.

I never said it was fair.  I stressed that it was SLOW.  There is
no compensation for emotional stress during this time.  In my
experience, the above approach to the problem usually works.

I wish you the best of luck, and keep us posted.

     I bid you Peace.

                                   Betty

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.10!Betty.Draughon
Internet: Betty.Draughon@p10.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (06/06/90)

Index Number: 8665

>"Has anyone else out there had problems with getting "Certified" as
>"being disabled. Social Security seems to have a number of ways of
>"defining this... as do most other "nets". I have sent letters from
>"my Dr. stating that I can't work and to my surprise they have the
>"gall to say that does'nt matter. This is wierd. Has anyone else
>"had experience with this?

Hi Bill,

No, it isn't weird. What's your disability? Sounds like you need an
advocate.  Start with your local Center for Independent Living.
From there, go to your local senator and congressman. You are
entitled to a hearing before the folks at Social Security. I am not
familiar with the proceedure except to say that it exists. So, my
friend, maybe someone else here can help you out with more
specifics.

Take care, see you on-line.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (06/06/90)

Index Number: 8667

Hi, Bill and welcome aboard.  I couldn't resist jumping in to answer
your questions about disability certification for Social Security.
Before they make a decision on whether you are eligible for benefits
you will have to be examined by a medical doctor of their choosing
They will ask you for your physician's name, etc. but they normally
use one from their lists in determining whether you are eligible
or not.

>From my understanding, it's a long drawn out process, around 5 months
which I think is ridiculous.  However, you are normally provided
with SSI during this time frame until a final decision is made for
SSDI (that is if you are eligible for SSDI) and Medicare

If there is anything else I can help with, let me know and I'll post
more information about SS.  I've never used it but I have helped
others fill out the numerous red tape forms.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org