[misc.handicap] HELP with the GOV'T

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8941

Hi,

I had to laugh when I read that paragraph describing your job
situation and your superiors wanting to "let you go" because you
were hearing impaired and they therefore wanted you away from
"hazardous noise levels."

Now, I don't know all that much about your type of hearing loss,
but I do know that when we lose our hearing to disease or
infections et cetera, that "generally" we who have a significant
hearing loss are far less likely to have problems with "hazard
noise levels" than hearing people!

I know that my ear surgeons have told me to go ahead and enjoy
whatever I can hear. I have asked them outright, if my hearing aids
are always up high as well as my ALDS, would that increase in sound
do further damage, the answer was a resounding no!

I also asked if going to loud rock concerts and sitting near the
band and speakers could make me worse, answer no. In fact, the
doctors say, if nothing else, my hearing loss has already given me
a "natural" set of earplugs heheheh!

My friends tell me that my aids and telephone amps are so loud,
that it feels like screaming in "their" ears, but it doesn't bother
me at all and sometimes I still don't quite hear words here and
there. I would guess that your situation is much like mine in this
regard. (You have natural ear plugs I mean!)

Although, I am hearing impaired due to complicated Otosclerosis, I
share the same problem as you concerning "Fluid" in my ears and a
healthy dose of Tinnitus (as I mentioned to you in an an earlier
post). Fortunately, I was able to get Medi-Cal when I was approved
for SSI (Minor amount, my primary income is a Military pension)

If you, as I do, have multiple health problems, it would seem like
you should be able to get some kind of assistance. Although, it for
sure, can be a pain in the backside getting it all started! I had
to be persistant as all hell and I am legally blind and going deaf!
(Not to even mention some other goodies heheh!) You must definitely
definitely be the "Squeaking wheel!" I have learned the hard way,
that the "Help" systems are designed to discourage clientele!

When I cam home from the military, we began our little family ( I
was married ) and though I generally do not share much about my
life in service or my married life either here or anywhere else, I
will tell you that I had problems getting "settled" , even after I
had two children (relatively close to each other) and was just
having a bad bad time trying to be a good stable parent and person.
end result, I too understand what it is to lose those you love and
I even lost custody of my two sweet children to my ex!!

Without going into any detail, I can just share that I know what it
is to be the person in a broken marriage who everyone thinbks is
the stinker and abandons. I found when I came home from the
military, I had no friends and when I couldn't adjust to being
"suzy Homemaker" and the rest of my world fell apart, I had no
friends again. I understand you, it is very hard. But, you do it
day by day and you start rebuilding. At least, that is what I have
done. I think that the only answer to all of these problems is
wrapped up in a cliche', that is actually the truth! You only
survive and get better by "hanging tough!" Anyway, enough of this.
I just thought I would share a little bit since you seem to be
feeling the "crunch" right now! The point is, you are not alone!

My first piece of practical advice would be to compute what "your"
actual income is and then call the Medi-Cal or Medic-Aid office in
your area and see if your eligible for any assistance at all.

The next thing to do, is probably to begin building your support
systems (such as you have done by joining us all!). I have found
that more aganecies I become involved, the more I keep finding out
about services that I didn't even know existed for visually and
hearing impaired people. Self help groups can be really great as
well!

The other thing I personally do is, socialize, socialize socialize!
Finds things I like to do and do them, especially with other
people!

And keep staying here with us all! While there may be a jerk or two
in these echos, for the most part, there are some pretty amazing
and great people here and the friendship bond here can be amazingly
strong between some of us!!!!!

I am glad you found us Gary! So, keep hangin' tough and staying
with us, when you hit the bottom there is only two things left to
do, stay there or start the long climb up! Sometimes, people even
throw ya' a ladder now and then!

Keepin' the faith!

.                          Vixen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Betty.Draughon@p10.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Betty Draughon) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8944

In a message to All <15 Jun 90  9:49:00> Gary Albright wrote:

 GA> Holy cow, now that I was 100% disabled they cut me off.

100% disability is relative, Gary.  Many of us may consider
ourselves totally disabled, and get not a penny from the
Government.  I know one or two here, who would gladly trade your
job income for what they receive on which to exist for a month.
It's really not fair, you know, to either want or expect 100%
disability from the Government when you have an income that exceeds
the ceiling.

Regardless of your opinion about your disability, Social Security
must set some  guidelines.  For the most part, if you are able to
work, you are not considered disabled.

 GA> I know that I still have my job

     Bingo!

 GA> and there are people out there without this let the Gov't
 GA> off scott free.

The government NEVER gets off scott free, Gary.  SOMEbody pays the
bills.  Bunches of those Somebodies are totally disabled, yet
manage to work, support themselves, and contribute to the Social
Security that is on the verge of running out of funds, in part
because people claim Social Security income when they are not
justified.  If the Social Security system falls apart, who will
care for those disabled that have paid thousands and thousands into
it, without choice, and when they can no longer work are left
without funds?

 GA> Plus the child support and all the bills I got in the
 GA> divorce that I'm still paying for.

Get yourself an attorney, Gary.  If you don't have sufficient
income to pay all the bills, the Court can reduce your outlay for
child support.  Surely your company has a major medical clause in
their health insurance that will allow you to claim for
prescriptions that have cost you so dearly.  While being confined
to a wheelchair, or having a terminal illness, or (in the case of
one beloved individual here) suffered from depression at some time
in your past makes you an uninsurable risk, being deaf does not.

These things have an answer, the first one coming to mind is to
move to a country that has socialized medicine.  Your employer
would pick up the tab for your medical care.  You might even be
able to avoid the court costs that have you overwhelmed, and would
probably be able to get away without paying child support.

I don't really mean this to sound so harsh.  I understand your
frustration and anguish.  But, let us not ask for steak when there
are those among us who would be delighted to have Hambuger Helper.

     I bid you Peace.

                                             Betty

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.10!Betty.Draughon
Internet: Betty.Draughon@p10.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org