[misc.handicap] What should I do?

Wayne.Finlay@p0.f712.n250.z1.fidonet.org (Wayne Finlay) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8965

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Hi!
  I've been reading this echo for the past month or so and find it
very touching. The strength that those of you with serious spinal
cord injuries exhibit through your messages really make me believe
 in the will power of humans. I have one problem though. I am a fully
mobile person. I jump, run and play....I'm in good health. What I'm
lacking is the ability to deal comfortably with people in wheel chairs.
This may sound stupid but I really don't feel comfortable around
people in wheel chairs. I'd like to hear from people who are in wheel
chairs and I ask that u tell me something about how I can get over
this disability towards you.
For example, if I see someone on the street in a manual wheel chair
and if this person is going in the same direction as I am should
I offer to push him/her? (I'd do this since I'm that sort of  person,
but is it proper?)

                Thanks!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!250!712.0!Wayne.Finlay
Internet: Wayne.Finlay@p0.f712.n250.z1.fidonet.org

John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (John Lynch) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8966

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 > wheel chair and if this person is going in the same direction
 > as I am should I offer to push him/her? (I'd do this since
 > I'm that sort of  person, but is it proper?)

I would only offer if the person really is fighting a hill or looks
totally wiped out.  But ask if they want a short break, don't just
grab the chair, as we, or at least I consider that an extension of
my body.  When you talk to someone in a chair, if there is a chair
around, sitmdown.  This allows normal eye contact and , believe me,
saves a sore neck after a long conversation.  Remember we are people
first who have many interest and just happen to sit around all day!
We can do anything, and I me anything you can do with the right adaptive
equipment.  We fly planes, drive cars, climb mountains, and cliff,
and even sky dive (land in lakes).  Try discussing hobbies, and odds
are, you will find them just as likely to be interested as your other
friends are.
For get the chair, think of us as people.  If you want to talk planes,
come on over to the aviation echo, and I will talk Air Force planes,
or civilian planes.  Still fly the civilian planes.  People, just
like you.
Regards, John

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!John.Lynch
Internet: John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hess) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8967

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

In a message of <Jun 21 18:52> Wayne Finlay (1:250/712@fidonet) writes:
 WF:>Hi!
 WF:>  I've been reading this echo for the past month or so and find it
 WF:>very touching. The strength that those of you with serious spinal cord
 WF:>injuries exhibit through your messages really make me believe
 WF:> in the will power of humans. I have one problem though. I am a fully
 WF:>mobile person. I jump, run and play....I'm in good health. What I'm
 WF:>lacking is the ability to deal comfortably with people in wheel
 WF:>chairs. This may sound stupid but I really don't feel comfortable
 WF:>around people in wheel chairs. I'd like to hear from people who are in
 WF:>wheel chairs and I ask that u tell me something about how I can get
 WF:>over this disability towards you.

In my case, I just want to be treated like anyone else.  As much as
possible, pretend the chair doesn't exist.  If I say something you
think is stupid, say so - don't hold back your true feelings just
because of my disability.  I'm still human, and want to be treated
as such.  Just remember that wheelchair-users are still individuals
- we won't all react the same to identical situations.

 WF:>For example, if I see someone on the street in a manual wheel chair
 WF:>and if this person is going in the same direction as I am should I
 WF:>offer to push him/her? (I'd do this since I'm that sort of  person,
 WF:>but is it proper?)
 WF:>
Tricky.  I personally would appreciate the offer, but many others would resent
it.  Tough call there.  *adh*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Alan.Hess
Internet: Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Curtis.Oglesby@p13.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Curtis Oglesby) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8969

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 WF> Hi!
 WF>  I've been reading this echo for the past month or so and find it
 WF> very touching. The strength that those of you with serious spinal
 WF> cord injuries exhibit through your messages really make me believe
 WF> in the will power of humans. I have one problem though. I am a fully
 WF> mobile person. I jump, run and play....I'm in good health. What I'm
 WF> lacking is the ability to deal comfortably with people in wheel
 WF> chairs. This may sound stupid but I really don't feel comfortable
 WF> around people in wheel chairs. I'd like to hear from people who are
 WF> in wheel chairs and I ask that u tell me something about how I can
 WF> get over this disability towards you.
 WF> For example, if I see someone on the street in a manual wheel chair
 WF> and if this person is going in the same direction as I am should I
 WF> offer to push him/her? (I'd do this since I'm that sort of  person,
 WF> but is it proper?)

Hello Wayne,

First of all, I'd say you don't feel comfortable because of
ignorance.  Wait, I meam this in a literal sense, that is, lack of
knowledge.  Put another way, it's the fear of the unknown.  The
solution:  Get to know someone using a wheelchair.

Next, I'm very mobile.  I bounce, roll and play....I'm in good
health.  The point here is that I'm not sickly but I do have
obvious physical limitations.

Your "disability" is a lack of knowledge.  (See first paragraph for
solution)

In any situation (on the street or otherwise), don't treat people
differently.  Period!  Why would there be any special etiquette?
For instance, since you're that type of person, would you offer to
help a woman struggling with her arms full of groceries?  Would you
offer to help a businessman with his briefcase?  A quick assessment
of whether a person (any person) "needs" help should guide you.  If
you think they could use a helping hand, ask 'em.  Then, honor
their response.  Simple.

BTW, all spinal cord injuries are serious.

Take care,

Curt

P.S.  I know how you feel, but there is no "rule book."  I was very
"able-bodied" for my first 23 years.  People using wheelchairs are
just people.  You'll like some, you won't like others.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.13!Curtis.Oglesby
Internet: Curtis.Oglesby@p13.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8970

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 WF> This may sound stupid but I really don't feel comfortable around
 WF> people in wheel chairs. I'd like to hear from people who are in wheel
 WF> chairs and I ask that u tell me something about how I can get over
 WF> this disability towards you.

        The best way is to spend sometime getting to know the
person in the chair.  We are not chairs, we are human beings who
love, hate, feel hurt, have desires, and most like to eat.
        Handicapped people come in all colors, have all the
various sexual desires, participate in all kinds of educational
pursuits, and have all levels of mental ability.
        The problem is if you keep avoiding the wheelchair user,
then you will never get to know the person in the chair.  To
remedy the situation, try being a volunteer with a group that
will require your interaction with wheelchair users.  You might
change your attitude and make new friends.

 WF> For example, if I see someone on the street in a manual wheel chair
 WF> and if this person is going in the same direction as I am should
 WF> I offer to push him/her? (I'd do this since I'm that sort of  person,

        Offer.  If they so no, that's okay.  Some will welcome
the assist and others will perfer to do it themselves.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Greg.Wick@p1.f26.n343.z1.fidonet.org (Greg Wick) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8971

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Well As for helping push  someone I don't think most people would like
it inless they were struggling uphill. I wouldn't mind but I'm in a
electric chair so I wouldn't need it, (but thanks for the offer)
As fas as not being comfertable around a person in a chair, just
remember that most people in chairs are just like you but that there
leggs don't work right. I was not in a chair longer then have have been
in one. but thanks for  asking

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!343!26.1!Greg.Wick
Internet: Greg.Wick@p1.f26.n343.z1.fidonet.org

sommers@pilot.njin.net (Mamaliz @ The Soup Kitchen) (07/03/90)

Index Number: 9017

>For example, if I see someone on the street in a manual wheel chair
>and if this person is going in the same direction as I am should
>I offer to push him/her? (I'd do this since I'm that sort of  person,
>but is it proper?)

I'd say it depends on the circumstances.  Although I am rarely in a wheel
chair at home, I spend a LOT of my public time in a manual wheelchair
(my disabilities are not spinal).  If you see me in a mall struggling with
packages and chasing my son, yes, please come over and ask me if there is
something you could do to help.  If you see me coming in through double
doors that are too heavy, please open them.

Please do not pat me on the head and ask "and how are we today?"  I am
liable to bite.

lizzy
--
lizzy
sommers@njin.pilot.net

Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Pickup) (07/04/90)

Index Number: 9037

In a message to All <21 Jun 90 18:52:00> Wayne Finlay wrote:

 WF> Hi!

 Hi Wayne!

 WF> chairs. This may sound stupid but I really don't feel comfortable
 WF> around people in wheel chairs. I'd like to hear from people who are
 WF> in wheel chairs and I ask that u tell me something about how I can
 WF> get over this disability towards you.

Doesn't sound stupid to me, I used to be that way.  I partially got
over it when I made friends with a guy who had no legs.  I learned
that people in wheelchairs are really no different than anyone else
except that they can't walk.  My friend passed away and since that
time I had amotorcycle accident and now I have my very own
wheelchair.

The best thing you can do is to realize that people with
disabilities are just people like anyone else.  Some have bad
attitudes and some good.  Some are loveable and some are hateful.
Chances are whatever they were before they were disabled, that's
exactly what they are now.

If you have an opportunity to befriend a disabled person, do so.
You will learn alot and your fear and discomfort will leave you.

 WF> For example, if I see someone on the street in a manual wheel chair
 WF> and if this person is going in the same direction as I am should I
 WF> offer to push him/her? (I'd do this since I'm that sort of  person,
 WF> but is it proper?)

Nothing wrong with, "Hey, buddy can I give you a push?" but be
ready to accept a "No thanks, I've got it."  Most people like to do
as much as they can for themselves and if they don't need help they
probably don't want it.

The only truly offensive thing you could do would be to thrust your
help upon someone without asking first.

I wish more able bodied people would ask the same kind of questions
you are asking here!

                                  -Jerry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.33!Jerry.Pickup
Internet: Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org