[misc.handicap] heat

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (07/04/90)

Index Number: 9034

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

GW> We finely had a few nice days here in seattle, that means over 70 for 2
GW> days in a row.the other day it hit 83 and I thought I was going to die.
GW> my body just doesn't regulate the heat well. By 3 am I was still to
GW> hot, but by 5 I was to cold. I gues I just shouldn't sit in the sun to
GW> long. anyone have a good solution for the heat.?

        Wear light colored clothing.  Wear a hat.  Drink lots of
liquids.  Then the best is to use a cold wet towel every thirty
minutes applied to the top of the head and the back of the neck.
The head radiates the most heat and this will help cool you off.

        When I lived in Florida I would take a hankerchef dipped
in ice water and put it under my baseball type cap.  Changed it
every half hour.  Worked really great even when it hit 100
degrees.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hess) (07/04/90)

Index Number: 9035

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Don't forget having yourself sprayed with a spray bottle.  works fine for me.
*adh*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Alan.Hess
Internet: Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Greg.Wick@f56.n343.z1.fidonet.org (Greg Wick) (07/04/90)

Index Number: 9038

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

I did something like that last year when it got to hot. I put some some
ice in a ziplock baggie then put it under my hat. It helps but that get
quit cold sometimes. thanks

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!343!56!Greg.Wick
Internet: Greg.Wick@f56.n343.z1.fidonet.org

Guy.Fisher@f539.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Guy Fisher) (07/04/90)

Index Number: 9039

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 > ... the other day it hit 83 and I thought I was going to die. My
 body > just doesn't regulate the heat well ... anyone have a good
 solution for > the heat?

I'm new to this conference and was looking for a constructive way
to "jump in".  Since my injury (C-5, 4/30/89) I no longer perspire,
which robs the body of its principle method of cooling.  Also,
major temperature swings completely disrupt my body's temperature
regulation.  I, too, often go from dying of heat to chills in a
matter of hours.  Apparently this is very common.

I have found that a spray bottle of water does wonders on hot days
(kinda like simulated sweat).  I also eat a lot of popsicles
(seriously -- they work!). These are pretty simple ideas, but they
work pretty well.  Hope they help.

     -- Guy M. Fisher

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!539!Guy.Fisher
Internet: Guy.Fisher@f539.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (07/04/90)

Index Number: 9044

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 GW> I did something like that last year when it got to hot. I put some some
 GW> ice in a ziplock baggie then put it under my hat. It helps but that get
 GW> quit cold sometimes. thanks

        And the shock to the system of that much cold is not
good.  Better with the cold rag and the spray bottle Alan Hess
mentioned.  Then there are those wonderful alcohol rubs that the
nursing profession  advocate.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

toone@looney.Corp.Sun.COM (Nolan Toone) (07/09/90)

Index Number: 9064

GW> I did something like that last year when it got to hot. I put some some
GW> ice in a ziplock baggie then put it under my hat. It helps but that get
GW> quit cold sometimes. thanks

One thing I have found (tho it sounds strange) is to "wash your
hands"! (I warned you it sounds strange!)  I think the reason this
works so well is that the body can quite rapidly detect the lower
temperature and the blood carries the heat there to get rid of it.
This only takes 5-10 second to feel the difference. I have used this
a lot when I am in a situation where I don't want to get my
collor/hair wet (when I have a bussiness meeting).

Nolan

Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Pickup) (07/13/90)

Index Number: 9120

In a message to All <23 Jun 90 12:46:00> Greg Wick wrote:

 GW> sit in the sun to long. anyone have a good solution for the heat.?

     Yeah, it's called an air conditioner!  Here in Georgia when it gets up to 100 or more I sit in my bedroom at my computer with the window unit blowing freezing air right in my face and drink lots of kool aid and root beer and it really hits the spot!

                                 -Jerry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.33!Jerry.Pickup
Internet: Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org