[misc.handicap] "New Guy!"

Guy.Fisher@f539.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Guy Fisher) (07/04/90)

Index Number: 9040

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

I was recently introduced to this conference by Butch Walker
(1:157/3@fido). I broke my neck (C-5) in a college baseball game a
little over a year ago (4/30/89).  My injury is complete -- No
sensation or movement below mid chest, limited in arms, and no
movement in hands.  Recently, have had slight increases in tricep
movement and hand sensation, but of course it remains to be seen if
anything functional will develop.

I spent 5 months in the hospital (4 in a halo brace).  Since then I
have been working (slowly) on finishing my degree in psychology
while trying to get my life back in order.  I spent a good part of
the spring coaching and scouting for the team.

Anyway ... I'm looking forward to "meeting" you all.  I'll be glad
to expand on anything here if anyone is interested.  This
conference is a great idea -- hope I can contribute.

     -- Guy M. Fisher

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!539!Guy.Fisher
Internet: Guy.Fisher@f539.n157.z1.fidonet.org

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Clifford A Stevens, Jr) (07/09/90)

Index Number: 9060

In article <12625@bunker.UUCP>, Guy.Fisher@f539.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Guy Fisher) writes:
> Index Number: 9040
>
> Hope I can contribute.

You already have!  By posting a good literate post, you convince people that
walking <> thinking!  Even though you can't walk, you still can think!
------------
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (07/13/90)

Index Number: 9124

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 GF>>     I spent 5 months in the hospital (4 in a halo brace).  Since
 GF>> then I have been working (slowly) on finishing my degree in
 GF>> psychology while trying to get my life back in order.  I spent a
 GF>> good part of the spring coaching and scouting for the team.

 CO> Glad to see you're finishing your degree; you'll need it.  I'd just
 CO> finished my degree when I dove into a river one Saturday morning.  It
 CO> took me 3 years to rebuild my strength, stamina, etc. before looking for
 CO> a job. I've been working 40+ hours a week since then.

        If you can finish the degree and get a Master's there are
lots of positions out there that will scoup you up real fast.
Look to your Voc. Rehab. or insurance company to pay for the
additional schooling.  You can make a good case for needing a
Master's or even a PhD for employement in the field.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org