[misc.handicap] skin adhesive and externa

Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9282

In a message to All <07 Jul 90  9:08:00> Scott Luebking wrote:

 SL> combinations of glue and catheters seem not to work also.  If you
 SL> have any suggestions or ideas on skin adhesive glue or tape, skin
 SL> conditions or external catheters, I would very much appreciate
 SL> hearing them.

Hi Scott..... I am allergic to ALL tapes and I am having to have
packing and dressing changes on a daily basis.  Needless to say my
skin was becoming quite raw where the skin had a tendency to stay
with the tape.  The visiting nurse brought a new tape to try.  It
sticks GREAT (ouch) BUT it does NOT take the skin with it when
removed and the skin is not beet red either.

The name is HYPAFIX, manufacturer is Smith and Nephew Medical
(division of Smith and Nephew, Inc.) Massillon, Ohio 44646  OR you
can call Medical West Healthcare Center  444 S. Brentwood Blvd.
Clayton, Missouri 63105 (314) 725-1888 or (800) 727-1488.

Good luck with it.

Nadine
Alias: Fido Bandido

*NUMERO UNO ON FIDONET MOST WANTED LIST*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.59!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Curtis.Oglesby@p13.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Curtis Oglesby) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9288

 SL> Recently, I developed an allergic reaction to skin glue I've been
 SL> using for many years to adhere an external catheter.  Other
 SL> combinations of glue and catheters seem not to work also.  If you
 SL> have any suggestions or ideas on skin adhesive glue or tape, skin
 SL> conditions or external catheters, I would very much appreciate
 SL> hearing them.

Hi Scott,

Many questions come to mind:

What adhesive do you use?

Do you clean the skin thoroughly and often (at least daily)?

Do you use a wipe such as Skin-Prep?

Do you use a very mild soap such as Ivory?  For example, I'm very allergic
to Dial soap.

Have you been having problems with "mishaps" before the problem?

Are you sure it is an allergy and not some form of infection? (like yeast
infection; this is very common after taking a series of antibiotics)

What is different in your environment that could have caused the allergic
reaction?

A very successful routine (from someone with multiple allergies) is:

     Start with a skin wipe (such as Skin-Prep).  This will leave skin
     "tacky" to the touch after drying for a few seconds.

     Apply a thin layer of Skin-Bond adhesive.

     Apply catheter.

     Apply elastic, foam tape (supplied with catheter) to hold snuggly to
     adhesive.

Hope something helps,

Curt

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.13!Curtis.Oglesby
Internet: Curtis.Oglesby@p13.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org