[misc.handicap] external catheters

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9281

 SL> From: scottl@sybase.com (Scott Luebking)
 SL> Recently, I developed an allergic reaction to skin glue I've been
 SL> using for many years to adhere an external catheter.  Other
 SL> combinations of glue and catheters seem not to work also.  If you
 SL> have any suggestions or ideas on skin adhesive glue or tape, skin
 SL> conditions or external catheters, I would very much appreciate

        I experienced the same thing several years ago.  I tried
several approaches and settled on using a home made elastic band.
Using an eye hook fastenter, we cut a strip of elastic just long
enough to enable a tight fit.  THIS IS CRITICAL.  If the band is
to small it can cause breakdown.  If it is too loose it will
leak.
        It has to be elastic to allow for expansion.  It has to
fit snuggly when in the flaccid state and not too tight in the
erected stage.
        The construction requires exactness and testing.  Once
you get the measurements make several.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Doug.Lewis@f413.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Doug Lewis) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9298

 > Recently, I developed an allergic reaction to skin glue I've been
 > using for many years to adhere an external catheter.  Other
 > combinations of glue and catheters seem not to work also.  If you
 > have any suggestions or ideas on skin adhesive glue or tape, skin
 > conditions or external catheters, I would very much appreciate

Scott, I have used External Catheters for 20 years or so, I had
problems at first with skin breakdown. I had tried every
manufacture of external catheters in the 20 years. Oh, how I had
skin breakdown, stayed in bed weeks on end with sores. I hardly
ever have a problem now, after I found a good routine, with very
little skin eratation. But I think the solution is how the Double
Backed tape is placed, how often it is changed. I change it about
every 3 to 4 days.

I use a Uri-San external catheter with Skin Prep and is change it
about every 3 to 4 days. I wash the area with mild soap and water,
then apply Skin-Prep. Apply the Double Backed tape, make sure its
about 1/4 in. from the scortum<sp> (sack) and wrapped around the
penis, about 1 1/3 loops (not spiraled like the instructions say).
Make sure the Catheter is rolled all the way towards the cap,
before the penis head in placed in the cap, (make sure the head is
not inserted to far in the cap, this will cause eratation). Then
after the Catheter is rolled over the double backed tape, this very
hard to do at first, but it takes a lot of practic (20 to 30
catheter changes), cut a section of electroplast (tape) about 6 in
long to make 2 1/2 wraps around the Catheter and over top of the
Double backed tape. Make sure the ELASTROPLAS TAPE does not make
contact with the skin. Then very gently, cut the excess Rubber band
off of the penis, near the scrotum (sack).

I hope this help you, if not maybe it will help some one else.
...Doug
  1-(503)-663-7400 voice

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!413!Doug.Lewis
Internet: Doug.Lewis@f413.n105.z1.fidonet.org

Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9301

In a message to Scott Luebking <10 Jul 90  6:42:00> Joe Chamberlain wrote:

 JC>        I experienced the same thing several years ago.  I tried
 JC> several approaches and settled on using a home made elastic band.
 JC> Using an eye hook fastenter, we cut a strip of elastic just long
 JC> enough to enable a tight fit.  THIS IS CRITICAL.  If the band is
 JC> to small it can cause breakdown.  If it is too loose it will
 JC> leak.
 JC>        It has to be elastic to allow for expansion.  It has to
 JC> fit snuggly when in the flaccid state and not too tight in the
 JC> erected stage.
 JC>        The construction requires exactness and testing.  Once
 JC> you get the measurements make several.

Joe, for the life of me I can't think of the name of a special
bandage that consists of adhesive section with a strip w/o adhesive
but has holes like a ring binder paper would have.  One strip on
each side of the area and then rubber bands are used or even string
and it ties down the bandage area but the adhesive strips are not
changed for days - kinda like lacing up an older type girdle.  I
wish I could remember the name of it.  darn.  Because only the
bandage part is changed daily the adhesive area does not cause so
much rawness.

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.59!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org