[misc.handicap] deaf snobs

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8963

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > am not h/i? I have signed with some h/i folks around
 > here and as soon as they find out I'm not deaf, they
 > get angry. They tell me I don't know what it's like,
 > I will never know, and basically "you're an outsider, get away
 > from me" type attitude.
 >
 > I'm making an effort to communicate and understand;
 > do you have any advice?
   =
   You will find people like that in every disabled group.  Some people
in wheelchairs think blind people should get out of their way; some
blind people look down their noses at deaf people (and even deaf/blind
people); some deaf people won't talk (or sign) to people who have
hearing, even if they are hard of hearing.
   My personal opinion is that such people are jagoffs and should be
ignored.  I sure wouldn't go out of my way to communicate with someone
who thinks I'm "not deaf enough".  I wonder if they are the same people
who complain they can't get interpreters?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Cherryl.Marlan@f4.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Cherryl Marlan) (07/04/90)

Index Number: 9030

 >> am not h/i? I have signed with some h/i folks around
 >> here and as soon as they find out I'm not deaf, they
 >> get angry. They tell me I don't know what it's like,
 >> I will never know, and basically "you're an outsider,
 > get out of their way; some blind people look down their
 > noses at deaf people (and even deaf/blind people); some
 > deaf people won't talk (or sign) to people who have hearing,
 > even if they are hard of hearing.

  From my point of view, it seems the 'deaf snobs' far outweigh
the good folks......but every once in a while I find one who is
is delighted that someone would take an interest in them, and it
makes it all worth while.

Cherryl

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!4!Cherryl.Marlan
Internet: Cherryl.Marlan@f4.n377.z1.fidonet.org

ps299bd@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Romy Spitz) (07/09/90)

Index Number: 9069

In article <12615@bunker.UUCP> Cherryl.Marlan@f4.n377.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 9030
>
> >> am not h/i? I have signed with some h/i folks around
> >> here and as soon as they find out I'm not deaf, they
> >> get angry. They tell me I don't know what it's like,
> >> I will never know, and basically "you're an outsider,
> > get out of their way; some blind people look down their
> > noses at deaf people (and even deaf/blind people); some
> > deaf people won't talk (or sign) to people who have hearing,
> > even if they are hard of hearing.
>
>  From my point of view, it seems the 'deaf snobs' far outweigh
>the good folks......but every once in a while I find one who is
>is delighted that someone would take an interest in them, and it
>makes it all worth while.
>
>Cherryl

Maybe I have been lucky in meeting the good folks, but I seldom find
myself chatting with a "Deaf snob".  Usually I am pretty much up
front with the people I chat with.  At the point of introductions I
always tell them I am HI but hearing minded and that I am a student
of ASL.  That way they have no false expectations of me...and they
are usually willing to give me the benefit of the doubt.  Most of
them are happy to chat a little  while at least, and for those few
who are abrupt or rude...you just end the conversation.  Many times
they also tell me that I will never "umderstand" their culture from
the inside, and they are probably right, but, as I tell them, that
won't stop me from being interested in their culture or keep me from
asking questions to learn more.

Besides, I like the language!

Romy Spitz

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9312

Hi Romy,

>> > get out of their way; some blind people look down their
>> > noses at deaf people (and even deaf/blind people); some
>> > deaf people won't talk (or sign) to people who have hearing,
>> > even if they are hard of hearing.
>>
>>  From my point of view, it seems the 'deaf snobs' far outweigh
>>the good folks......but every once in a while I find one who is
>>is delighted that someone would take an interest in them, and it
>>makes it all worth while.
>>
>>Cherryl

Cheryl's got an interesting point here, though I think that the problem isn't
necessarily snobbishness but fear. I know some deaf folk too and they aren't
snobs. I think it depends on the individuals. People from The Mainline in
Philadelphia look down their noses at working class people. Some blind people
won't have anything to do with other blind people. I think that all snobs deaf
or otherwise are afraid they'll discover that they aren't the only fish in the
pond.

Though I have to admit that living in an insular culture accounts for a good
deal of this kind of behavior. It's unfortunate.

>"Maybe I have been lucky in meeting the good folks, but I seldom
>"find myself chatting with a "Deaf snob".  Usually I am pretty much
>"up front with the people I chat with.  At the point of
>"introductions I always tell them I am HI but hearing minded and
>"that I am a student of ASL.  That way they have no false
>"expectations of me...and they are usually willing to give me the
>"benefit of the doubt.  Most of them are happy to chat a little
>"while at least, and for those few who are abrupt or rude...you
>"just end the conversation.  Many times they also tell me that I
>"will never "umderstand" their culture from the inside, and they
>"are probably right, but, as I tell them, that won't stop me from
>"being interested in their culture or keep me from asking questions
>"to learn more.
>"Besides, I like the language!
>"

Romy, I think that your attitude is the right one. Just don't talk to the
people that won't talk to you, just as if they were hearing people. I find
that among "normal people" there are some that will talk to me and others who
will not. I just talk to those I feel have my same interests and like
conversation just as I do.

When I do talks about what it's like to be blind before school groups, I
demonstrate  the sighted guide technique. I also tell the students that they
should ask if the person needs help before offering assistance. I conclude by
saying something like, "You may get a "Yes please", a "No thanks, I've got
it." or you may get a "Leave me alone.""  The people who say the latter are
just like you, they have bad days too, and on those days they don't feel like
being polite. <grin>

So, anyway, these are my two cents about the issue.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org