[misc.handicap] New TDD's

Wayne.Roorda@f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Wayne Roorda) (07/13/90)

Index Number: 9118

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

A couple of TDD products caught my eye at this SHHH Convention.

My descriptions and comments are personal opinion and not an
endorsement of the named products.

The first one is the "Compact" TDD from UltraTec.  It has an
80 character 2 line display that appears to be liquid crystal
without backlighting.  It has an ASCII 110/300 baud option
available in addition to the standard 45.5/50 baud.

The other one is "TouchTalk Travel Pro" from ZiCom.  It has
an 48 character 2 line display that is back lighted.  I don't
think this one has an ASCII option available.

Both are about 9" x 4" x 2" in dimensions.  This is the first
time I've seen working models of TDD's in this size and weight
class.  It would be nice if a third party were to come up with
one having the best features of both of these TDD's.

For more information contact:

UltraTec                        ZiCom
6442 Normandy Lane              2485-A Coral Street
Madison, WI  53719              Vista, CA  92083
(608) 273-0707 V/TDD            (619) 727-7110 or 1(800) 748-5633 V/TDD

Please tell them you heard about the product(s) from an attendee of
the SHHH Convention in Little Rock, Arkansas.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!715!Wayne.Roorda
Internet: Wayne.Roorda@f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (07/18/90)

Index Number: 9237

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Did you by chance get to see a demonstration of the new TDD system
1310?  I noticed there were two displays of this system, however,
AT&T stated theirs broke in transit, so I was not able to see a demo.

If you did see a demo at the second booth, perhaps you'll share some
info with us.  I still think a CPU is far superior to any TDD.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Wayne.Roorda@f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Wayne Roorda) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9323

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Ann,

   AS > Did you by chance get to see a demonstration of
   AS > the new TDD system 1310?

No, I sure didn't.  As always, there just wasn't enough time
to see it all.  I've seen Rocky use his before, so it wasn't
exactly new to me.

Laurie, Jack, Frank, or Roy what were your impression(s)?

   AS > I still think a CPU is far superior to any TDD.

I'm with you on that one for sure.  But there are times when
I wish I had the convenience and features of a laptop in the
size of the TDD's as was discussed in my original post.

Dream On.... WIBNI --- Wouldn't It Be Nice If.....

                                                Wayne

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!715!Wayne.Roorda
Internet: Wayne.Roorda@f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

era@era.scd.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold) (07/20/90)

Index Number: 9350

In article <12841@bunker.UUCP> Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 9237
>
>Did you by chance get to see a demonstration of the new TDD system
>1310?  I noticed there were two displays of this system, however,
>AT&T stated theirs broke in transit, so I was not able to see a demo.
>
>If you did see a demo at the second booth, perhaps you'll share some
>info with us.  I still think a CPU is far superior to any TDD.

Ann,

I previously inquired about whether anyone knew of a dual mode modem
supporting TDD and 1200 or 2400 baud ASCII.  The results of my inquiry
were that such a thing doesn't exist, but there is a 300 baud ASCII/TDD
dual-mode modem available ... which describes exactly the communication
capabilities of the 1310.  The 1310 doesn't offer 1200 or 2400 baud either,
it's just a 300 baud & TDD communications terminal.

The logic of AT&T's marketing on this thing escapes me.  Why would anyone
buy a 1310 when one could get a lot more by buying a used PC and a
dual-mode modem, so one could store and/or manipulate messages as a real
computer can do?
--
Ed Arnold * NCAR * POB 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 * 303-497-1253(w)
era@ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * era@ncario.bitnet * era@ncar.uucp

Jack.O'keeffe@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (07/21/90)

Index Number: 9368

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 WR> Laurie, Jack, Frank, or Roy what were your impression(s)?

If I were in the market for a new TDD now, I'd probably go for
the AT&T 1310.  (They should take a look at a sturdier shipping
container tho :-)  After seeing it I decided to stick with my
Ultratec Minicom a while longer.

 WR> I'm with you on that one for sure.  But there are times when
 WR> I wish I had the convenience and features of a laptop in the
 WR> size of the TDD's as was discussed in my original post.

I'd break the piggie bank to buy that if it was available.  I was
not particularly impressed with Big Blue's offering tho.  $600
(plus the cost of the PC) so you can heve folks type atcha on a
12 button keypad?  Naaah.  If the modem was unbundled and priced
affordably, it might be interesting tho.  It's supposed to speak
both ASCII and Baudot.  Actually, Baudot is a very sick horse.
But not quite dead yet.  Give it 5 more years max.

... Live, from Beaver County, it's . . . .

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89.0!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Jack.O'keeffe@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (07/24/90)

Index Number: 9402

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 JO> It's supposed to speak both ASCII and Baudot.  Actually,
 JO> Baudot is a very sick horse . . Give it 5 more years max.

Wayne, here are a couple of insightful quotes from the June 1990
issue of "Hearing Journal"

R. T. Gregg of U. S. Telephone association re: Dual Party Relays.

"My guess is that the need for this type of application will
diminish, simply because the linkage between the computer and
the telephone will become so nebulous that a computer keyboard
and a telephone handset will be one and the same instrument.
There are people alrady working on transcribing voice directly
without any human interface."

Rocky Stone of S.H.H.H. re: TDDs

"Because of the expense of TDDs, you can't expect people to replace
them as soon as new technology is available.  So for 10 or 15 more
years, the TDD is going to be a factor, even though from a
technological point of view it is already becoming obsolete."

Jack.

... Live, from Beaver County, it's . . . .