[misc.handicap] ABLED

Reed.Hopkins@f7.n125.z1.fidonet.org (Reed Hopkins) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9300

Ann, in order to get certified as disabled by Social Security you
need PERSISTANCE. I not only got myself on it, but I also used to
work in the Sonoma County Medi-Cal office as an eligibility worker,
and many of my clients were going through the process.

Social SEcurity routinely turns down all but the most severe cases
on the first try. PLEASE don't take it personnally, or as a valid
assesment by social security of the true nature of your
disability(s). They're just doing things the way they think works
best.  Those that really need the disability insurance payments
keep applying and appealing, and the featherweights drop out.  It
takes an enormous emotional toll, but they don't recognize that as
a factor in their decision making apparently.

I'd be willing to bet that the Social Security process has pushed
more than a few people over the brink to suicide. Becoming disabled
isn't easy on the soul. The number of suicide attempts amongst new
para's and quads is really frightening.

And if you're not using a wheelchair ("legitimately" disAbled) you
get a lot of doubts about the severity of your disabilities,
especially if they're a mix of things that alone would only slow
you down a bit.

Hang in there, be happy, come here A LOT, and it'll come through
eventually.  They are putting me through college - I'm very
grateful for the Social Security System, but it does have some
major flaws.

Reed Hopkins

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!125!7!Reed.Hopkins
Internet: Reed.Hopkins@f7.n125.z1.fidonet.org

Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Whitney) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9309

>I'm very new to this.  My doctor flat
> out told them I will not be able to return to work.  I guess I'll just wait
>and see what happens next.  Anyway, a big HI, and I'm so glad Floyd got this
>and can talk to you.  Yeah!!!!
>                                                 Anne
Anne, unfortunately when dealing with Social Security it seems to be a
hit or miss sort of proposition.  From what I've heard it generally
takes several applications before a person is granted disability.
Then other times a person will get disability on their first try.  I
think that it is more a question of good luck rather then anything
else.  Good luck in your appeal.
Frank.

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.01

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Frank.Whitney
Internet: Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (07/24/90)

Index Number: 9439

In a message to Frank Whitney <14 Jul 90 14:23:00> Anne Willis wrote:

 AW> I agree with you.  After talking to my benefits department, that's
 AW> what they said.  Sometimes you are approved right away and other
 AW> times it becomes a long drawn out process.  So I'll just sit tight
 AW> and see what happens.
 AW>                                   Anne

Hi Anne...... The workers at Soc. Sec. kept trying to prepare me
for being turned down for benefits.  They told me that children
with spina bifida were being turned down and I should expect
nothing less since I was not as bad as they were physically.
Somehow I got it first shot.  I never questioned my getting it but
it felt like winning the lottery.  (guess I did).

Just hang in there and don't give up.  There are either one or two
reconsiderations and then court - in front of a judge - that is
where most cases are won.  Let us know as you are going along what
is happening.

Nadine
Alias: Fido Bandido

*NUMERO UNO ON FIDONET MOST WANTED LIST*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.59!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Rusty.Ferguson@p2.f13.n123.z1.fidonet.org (Rusty Ferguson) (07/24/90)

Index Number: 9449

AW>I should hear someting in 60-95 days.  If they were in my
AW>position (or anyone else's) I think maybe they would do
AW>things differently.

Are you talking about SS?  They started taking a real hard line approach
back when Reagan started chopping social programs.   Congress is holding
hearings on this right now.  I think there will be some improvement.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!123!13.2!Rusty.Ferguson
Internet: Rusty.Ferguson@p2.f13.n123.z1.fidonet.org