[misc.handicap] HELLO AND GREETING FROM C

Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (07/24/90)

Index Number: 9458

In a message to Bill Higgins <16 Jul 90 18:24:00> Linda Thompson wrote:

 LT> We have not found anything satisfactory in the way of wheelchairs
 LT> that combine what we need -- something that let's him carry things
 LT> and is easy to get into and out of a car trunk by somebody balancing
 LT> on one leg or that I can lift (limited weight), that is also
 LT> lightweight enough that he can push himself over long distances or
 LT> that is small enough to be maneuverable
 LT> (OHYSI) through shopping aisles, etc.
 LT>
 LT> Input?  Suggestions?  (PRICES??)

Hi LInda......hope you don't mind my jumping in here.

If he got one of those 3 wheel (amiga - I think is one brand) jobs
that are motorized and then get a motorized lift that gets welded
onto the back of the car you could accomplish what you want.  If he
has medicare it will cover some of the cost.  Check with Soc. Sec.
too - they may pay for part of it.

If it is a birth defect then check with Easter Seals Foundation and
they may be able to help too.....  A friend has the setup I
described and *I* could even use it if I had to.  It is
maneuverable and will fit through shopping aisles, and usually has
a basket on the front (not super big but big enough) to put things
in under normal conditions. (food shopping for the week is out
unless you both eat very very little (grin).

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.59!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org