[misc.handicap] Books on disk?

davek@peg.pegasus.oz (Dave Keenan) (07/09/90)

Index Number: 9065

Does anyone know of a books-on-disk library or even just individual books
which have been scanned and OCRed so as to be suitable for reading from
a personal computer?
Is there someone willing to start such a library by soliciting contributions?
I imagine there could be copyright problems.

Dave Keenan, Australia (davek@peg.pegasus.oz)

wtm@bunker.uucp (Bill McGarry) (07/09/90)

Index Number: 9066

>Does anyone know of a books-on-disk library or even just individual books
>which have been scanned and OCRed so as to be suitable for reading from
>a personal computer?

There is the Computerized Books for the Blind and Print Disabled
(CBFB), which is a nonprofit organization devoted to providing
written information in computer-accessible format to disabled
persons.  CBFB accepts requests from registered members and
attempts to provide the written material in computer format
compatible with the individual member's equipment.

To become a registered member, a disabled individual or an
institution serving the disabled must apply directly to CBFB.  We
request that the individual applicant provide assurance of their
disability to CBFB by having their doctor, counselor, or employer
complete and sign the verification section.
Additionally, CBFB requires that the applicant sign a statement
prohibiting them from distributing the computerized materials in
any form to others.

There is an initial registration fee of $25.00 which should
accompany the application.  If prospective members cannot afford
the fee, a letter requesting a wavier should accompany their
application.

Their address is:

     Computerized Books for the Blind
     52 Corbin Hall
     University of Montana
     Missoula, MT  59812
     406/243-5481

Most (if not all) of their books have to do with computers since
that is the area where most of the demand for machine readable books
has been.

				Bill McGarry
				(203) 337-1518

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm@bunker.uucp      l-hcap@vm1.nodak.edu
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
	    (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

mattioli@took.dec.com (John R. Mattioli) (07/17/90)

Index Number: 9140

In article <12654@bunker.UUCP>, davek@peg.pegasus.oz (Dave Keenan) writes...

>Does anyone know of a books-on-disk library or even just individual books
>which have been scanned and OCRed so as to be suitable for reading from
>a personal computer?

I don't know of a "library", but I do know of a place you can buy
books from.  They are called Computerized Books for the Blind and
they have a great service.  I just got their catalog a few days
ago, so here's some information out of it.  I hope it will be
helpful.  The first section is the preface from the catalog and
describes the philosophy of the service.  The second part discusses
the practical stuff such as who can order and what it costs.  I
would encourage anyone and everyone who is eligible to get books
from CBFB to do so.  Write or call them and they'll send you a
catalog on the media of your choice.  They can be contacted at the
following address:

                       Computerized Books for the Blind
                                52 Corbin Hall
                             University of Montana
                              Missoula, MT 59812
                                 406/243-5481

PREFACE

Philosophy of Computerized Books for the Blind and Print Disabled

All published books and manuals should be accessible to the Blind,
Visually Impaired, Orthopedically Impaired and Learning Disabled.
With the state of current computer technology this dream can become
a reality.  The computer is the best vehicle for accessing a book.
>From a computerized book a person can use any combination of
electronically produced braille, speech, large print, or
specialized display modes for the person with dyslexia.

The lawmakers in this country should be encouraged to require
publishers to make their books accessible to the print disabled.
Only when this happens will we have equal educational and
employment opportunities. When publishers and computer companies
view the print disabled community as a huge market to sell their
wares, CBFB will no longer be needed.  Until that time comes this
organization will attempt to provide the most needed books and
manuals.

Soft copy books made available through CBFB are primitive
compared to what we will have at our disposal in the 21st Century,
but we had to start somewhere.  As time goes on and the concept
of soft copy books catches on, new software will develop that
allows sophisticated access to our electronic libraries.  Before
this becomes a reality the information from books must be stored
in machine readable format.  From this perspective the soft copy
books that CBFB produces are the basis of future software
developments.

George Kerscher, CBFB Director
January 3, 1990

CHAPTER 1

Policies of Computerized Books for the Blind and Print Disabled
What is in this Chapter?

1.  Eligible Parties
2.  Information Regarding Book Reproductions
3.  Institutional Purchases
4.  Fee Waivers
5.  Pricing

(1)  All print disabled individuals and institutions serving these
persons, completing proper documentation, are eligible for our
services with proper documentation.

(2)  Books provided by CBFB may not be reproduced for distribution
to other individuals or groups because the information contained
was donated by authors, publishers or hardware/software
manufacturers and remain the property of the copyright holder.

(3)  Any institution, school, library, or state agency serving the
blind must purchase each copy of the book from CBFB.  Precautions
must be taken by these organizations to prevent the use of these
books by the non-print disabled individuals.

(4)  CBFB is a not-for-profit organization but must remain at a
break even point to insure future service levels to our print
disabled members.   Therefore, our production and distribution
costs are being offset by the charges listed in the book price
list.  Each book has an individual charge based on it's length.

Individuals who cannot afford the charges associated with a
particular title may request that a foundation, employer, agency,
etc., assist them with the costs.  At this time we have a charitable
group that is willing to buy a few books for those unable to
afford them.  This is precisely what foundations are set up to do.
This procedure, operated successfully, insures members their book
fees are not used to subsidize the production of unprofitable
titles.

(5)  It is our overall feeling that the blind and print disabled
community is ready and willing to pay for what they need as long
as what they get is a good usable product.  When the publishing
industry views this group as a viable market for the sale of their
titles, all books will be accessible.  Until that time comes, CBFB
will try to produce as many titles as possible.  Encourage all of
your print disabled friends to join CBFB because it is through
growth that more and more titles will be made available.

The fee schedule we have established is a function of book size.
The first disk of a book is 10 dollars and each additional disk is
5 dollars.  This places the majority of our books in the 10 to 20
dollar range.  The price of each book will be found on the current
book list located in Appendix A.  For books requiring more than 5
disks, we will set a separate price less than the 5 dollars per disk
charge.

NOTES:  A disk is considered to be a 5.25 DSDD formatted in MS-DOS
which stores 360k of data. The Borland Software Documentation falls
into a class of its own.  Borland provides us with super clean
files that require little preparation.  Some of the documentation
associated with their software is just one disk; these are manuals
that fall into the 10 dollar range.  Other software packages, such
as Turbo Pascal 5.5 have two or three books and require up to seven
disks. The most a person would pay for the entire documentation
package is 30 dollars.

Finally, regarding your book purchases.  I attended several
conferences and met purchasing agents that dealt with their
disabled employee's needs.  I told those people about many of the
titles that we have and asked if that agency could make donations
toward the production of new titles that their employees would
need.  The response was that the agency could not make donations.
All they can do is purchase products.  Try to have your employer
purchase the books you need for your job. If you are going to
school on a rehab program sponsored by SRS, have them write your
book needs into your plan.  Donations are still welcome and
encouraged; refer to Chapter 9 about donations.

					John Mattioli
	Most improved skier (american blind skiers association 1989)
					and humble to!

(DEC E-NET)	TOOK::MATTIOLI
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!TOOK.dec.com!MATTIOLI
(ARPA)		MATTIOLI@TOOK.dec.com
                MATTIOLI%TOOK.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
(US MAIL)	John Mattioli
		550 King St. LKG2-2/BB9
		Littleton, Ma. 01460

Dennis.Asher@p0.f626.n690.z3.fidonet.org (Dennis Asher) (07/25/90)

Index Number: 9500

Dave Keenan wrote:

DJA>Does anyone know of a books-on-disk library or even just
DJA>individual books which have been scanned and OCRed so as to be
DJA>suitable for reading from a personal computer?
DJA>Is there someone willing to start such a library by soliciting
DJA>contributions? I imagine there could be copyright problems.

This is an area I am very interested and I am certain there would be
a market for some enterprising group (or several) to start production
of books on disk, not only for the visually impaired, but for anyone
with a physical disability which prevents them from turning the pages
of a standard publication. Page turners are are usefull but not portable
and a book or two on the hard disk of a laptop computer would be very
handy.

There are 2 possibilities:

Public Domain Classics: The text of any publication is free of copyright
50 years after it's first imprint date (or 50 years after the death of the
author, I'm not sure which. (If anyone knows the correct definition please
let me know). This means that any of the old classics can be typed or
scanned to disk (perhaps by volunteers) and distributed freely in the
public domain. If it is distributed as pure ascii code then it can be
displayed by any suitable viewing program.

Commercial production: This would involve negotiating with the copyright
holder of a publication for the rights to produce it in disk form. The
contents of the disk would then be subject to standard software copyright
(perhaps) and could be sold commercially. I am sure there would be
sufficient demand (worlwide) to make the a commercially viable option.
Perhaps we can get some feedback on ABLED.

Dennis Asher
Project Officer
Recreation Computing Project
Noah's Ark Toy Library and Resource Centre
Perth, AUSTRALIA

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3!690!626.0!Dennis.Asher
Internet: Dennis.Asher@p0.f626.n690.z3.fidonet.org