[misc.handicap] That's fine, Tom

Betty.Draughon@p10.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Betty Draughon) (07/25/90)

Index Number: 9523

In a message to Betty Draughon <18 Jul 90  8:45:00> Tom Keller wrote:

 TK> Thanks, Betty.   Also thanks to Gene (whose original message I didn't,
 TK> for some unknown reason, see).   I do feel compelled to point out
 TK> that I am escapee from christianity.  I do not feel the need for an
 TK> outside, "higher power."

     That's your right, Tom.

 TK>   My problems are the results of genetic accidents and/or malicious
 TK> action on the part of other human beings.  My self-deprecating
 TK> attitude is the result of my not dealing with these problems in an
 TK> adequate fashion.

     I accept that.

 TK>   I am working toward dealing with my problems, and my attitudes.
 TK> If I were to surrender myself to some "omnipotent" deity, I would
 TK> be abandoning responsibility for myself.   That, at least, is how
 TK> I see it.

     I accept that, also, Tom.  You must be true to yourself before you can begin to be true to anyone else - deity or not.  That's how I see it, and I don't see that we have a problem, so far.

 TK> I left the christain "faith" because I found it empty,
 TK> hypocritical and meaningless.

     In that case, I would have left it, also.

 TK> I am pleased and willing to accept help from those who wish to
 TK> help me to be responsible for myself.

     I'll help in any way I can.

 TK> I do NOT consider prosyletizing for Jesus, or any other deity,
 TK> helpful.

I won't preach at you, Tom, nor to you, nor around you.  As a
matter of fact, I rarely preach.  My own personal faith is
well-founded and deep-seated, but I am blessed with an
understanding heart and acceptance for those who do not share my
faith.  I do not feel that it is my duty to be concerned for the
welfare of your soul.  In fact, I don't think the welfare of your
soul is any of my business.

I think what is my business is that you think well of yourself,
learn that you are a human being who deserves to live, has
something to offer, and help you keep your will to hang on for one
more day.  I believe in you, and I believe that you will come out
on top - not easily, and not tomorrow, but ONE day.  Hold on to
anything that helps you get through the night.  We'll worry about
tomorrow when it gets here.

     Let me know how I can help.

                                        Betty

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.10!Betty.Draughon
Internet: Betty.Draughon@p10.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org