     From: malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney)
     Newsgroups: comp.unix.cray,comp.graphics,comp.parallel
     Subject: Visualization Machines

What are good machines for scientific visualizations?  We have
a Cray but I'm looking around for other machines that can do
my work nearly as fast.

My research (models of human hearing) can support parallelism
and lots of vectorization.  I want to be able to compute
something and then display the result very quickly (20 frames
per second) on a monitor.

I guess the numbers that are important to me are >100 MFlops
of peak performance and > 25 Mega-pixels per second output
rate (at the same time.)

Should I think about Convex?  What about the new Connection
Machine?  Machines like the DAP and the MassPar seem to be
too hard to program (I want to do new research in hearing,
not algorithm development.)

What do people think?

Thanks.

       Malcolm Slaney
       Apple Perception Group
       malcolm@apple.com

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Wayne.Roorda
Internet: Wayne.Roorda@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org