[misc.handicap] Tevis cup gallops on...

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (07/28/90)

Index Number: 9592

Hi, Stu:

A comment about your Tevis Cup post re: the number of horses needed.
As I recall from my days in the world, unless the rules have changed
you must finish the Tevis Cup on the same, one and only horse you start
with. There are (were?) veterinary checkpoints all along the way to
make sure your horse is OK - you, the rider, are on your own. Thus, by
my calculations Vixen would need only TWO horses - one for herself and
one for her companion/attendant/cohort/partner-in-crime.  :-)

Bill.

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (08/10/90)

Index Number: 9681

 > From: 34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman)
 >
 > A comment about your Tevis Cup post re: the number of horses
 > needed.
 > As I recall from my days in the world, unless the rules have
 > changed you must finish the Tevis Cup on the same, one and only horse you
 > start with. There are (were?) veterinary checkpoints all along the way
   =
   Yes, I've already seen a msg from Vixen explaning that.  My mistake.
I misread her original msg and though it was to duplicate the original
Pony Express operation not just the route.  I just assumed that meant
changing horses at relay points too. What's the route go over?  Don't
tell Vixen but I seem to remember reading that the original route went
through Death Valley which might not be too good for her breathing
problem... :-)

   (just kidding Vixen)
    (added later)  I just saw your next msg to Vixen saying the event is
Aug 4th. That's this coming weekend.  I doubt Vixen will be in shape by
then so I assume its a case of "just wait till next year". <grin>

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org