[net.space] Random Fandom Panjandrum

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (03/16/86)

In article <[MC.LCS.MIT.EDU].851856.860315.KFL> KFL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") writes:

>  Your [i.e., my] ignorance is obvious from your calling SF by that despicable
>term. ["sci-fi"]  No other comment is necessary.

    Your ignorance of both literary criticism and the most elementary
standards of logic and argument is shown by your remark that "No other
comment is necessary".

    For your information, I have been reading SF (at your insistence) for
30 years. I have met a number of SF authors. (Berkeley is a good place to
do that; I don't need to go to conferences or belong to Chowder societies).
A famous SF author once took me to dinner, since she thought I might be a
useful character study for her next book. A film director famous for his
SF films (among others) was once a pretty close friend. We had many long
talks about SF, films, and SF in films. I have some knowledge of the SF
cult, and in particular am aware that people object strongly to certain
terms. Since I think this is stupid, I don't pay much attention. Tough
noogie. What are YOUR oh-so-wonderful credentials? Every time I post
to this newsgroup, someone thinks I am an ignoramus. The case has yet
to be proven, either about astronomy or SF.

    First you criticize my knowledge of SF, then you write your own:

In article <[MC.LCS.MIT.EDU].851959.860315.KFL> KFL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") writes:

>  Once we colonize space and make extensive use of the resources of
>the solar system, we won't have to choose.  We will be able to have a
>trillion trillionaires.

>population, I forsee an economy where the major occupations are
>writer, programmer, philosopher, scientist, architect, artist,
>entertainer, musician, etc..  All of these have nearly constant cost

    And I will continue to call SF sci-fi whenever I feel like it.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
Imagine what the world would be like if football was a worthy ritual performed
in stadiums but mathematics was a misunderstood activity ignored by almost all.