[misc.handicap] Software for one-handed mac usage?

pat@cs.cornell.edu (Pat Stephenson) (08/09/90)

Index Number: 9615

A friend of mine has lost the use of her left hand.  Is there any
software out there that assists people to use a mac with one hand
only?  Presumably such software would provide a way to move
the mouse pointer from the keyboard, access shift/command combos, pull
down and select from menus, make text selection, and probably other
things I can't think of offhand.  Any pointers or experience would be
greatly appreciated.

She has a mac plus with an external floppy, by the way.

Pat Stephenson

era@ncar.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold) (08/10/90)

Index Number: 9651

In article <13286@bunker.UUCP> pat@cs.cornell.edu (Pat Stephenson) writes:
>Index Number: 9615
>
>A friend of mine has lost the use of her left hand.  Is there any
>software out there that assists people to use a mac with one hand
>only?  Presumably such software would provide a way to move
>the mouse pointer from the keyboard, access shift/command combos, pull
>down and select from menus, make text selection, and probably other
>things I can't think of offhand.

Can't offer personal experience, however, I would suggest you try
getting in touch with the following organization:

alliance for technology access (ata); jacquelyn brand; 1307 solano
ave.; albany, ca 94706-1888

This organization was originally part of Apple Computer, and was known by
a different name at that time.  They have a nationwide association with
technology assistance centers around the country, with an emphasis on
Apple solutions for persons with disabilities, so it's highly likely they
have an answer to this question.
--
Ed Arnold * NCAR * POB 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 * 303-497-1253(voice)
303-497-1137(fax) * era@ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * era@ncario.BITNET

vlb@magic.apple.com (Vicki Brown) (08/10/90)

Index Number: 9712

In article <13286@bunker.UUCP> pat@cs.cornell.edu (Pat Stephenson) writes:
>Index Number: 9615
>
>A friend of mine has lost the use of her left hand.  Is there any
>software out there that assists people to use a mac with one hand
>only?  Presumably such software would provide a way to move
>the mouse pointer from the keyboard, access shift/command combos, pull
>down and select from menus, make text selection, and probably other
>things I can't think of offhand.  Any pointers or experience would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>She has a mac plus with an external floppy, by the way.

Please keep in mind that most Mac applications can be run entirely
with the mouse (with the exception of typing characters), so your friend
may not need to do this.  However, if she finds the keyboard easier
to use (or for anyone with trouble using a mouse), APple provides a
solution with the Macintosh System Software (A disk labeled Utilities 2).

Since (at least) Macintosh System Software 6.0.3, Apple has included
software called Easy Access which does just what you describe.
It turns the keypad into a mouse.
                                             ^     ^     ^
                                              \    |    /
The keys move the mouse as you might expect    7   8   9
  horizontally, vertically, and diagonally.
  The 5 key is equivalent to pushing	    <- 4   5   6 ->
 the mouse button.  The control can be
very fine (push the key several times	       1   2   3
each time, the cursor moves a small amount    /    |	\
or hold the key down for smooth, constant    v     v     v
motion.

Turning on Easy Access does not interfere with regular use of the mouse,
either.  Easy Access may already be in her System Folder.  Check the
Utilities manual that came with the Mac  (or try holding down
clover-shift-clear (clear is on keypad).  I realize this is hard to do
with one hand.  I apologize on behalf of whoever wrote it.

Hope this helps -
  vicki
   Vicki Brown   A/UX Development Group		Apple Computer, Inc.
   Internet: vlb@apple.com			MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.
   UUCP: {sun,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!vlb		Cupertino, CA  95014 USA
              Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?
          (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)