[misc.handicap] equipment

SIMMONSFD@VAX1.COMPUTER-CENTRE.BIRMINGHAM.AC.UK (Frank Simmons) (07/07/90)

Index Number: 9052

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

I am interested in opinions on Braille embossing printers. I am looking
for a recomendation in th 10-15,000 dollar range.

Frank Simmons
University Computing Service
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT
United Kingdom

mattioli@took.dec.com (John R. Mattioli) (07/17/90)

Index Number: 9138

In article <12642@bunker.UUCP>, SIMMONSFD@VAX1.COMPUTER-CENTRE.BIRMINGHAM.AC.UK
(Frank Simmons) writes...
>Index Number: 9052
>
>[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]
>I am interested in opinions on Braille embossing printers. I am looking
>for a recomendation in th 10-15,000 dollar range.

My suggestion, in a word, is Thiel!  I used to love telling people
that I had my thiel for over two years and it hadn't been serviced
once.  Well, it was just serviced.  The voltage regulator died and
needed to be replaced.  The service was fast (less then a week) and
very satisfactory (they did a lot of work in a little time).

The thiel brailles about 160 cps.  It will not do graphics, but it
will churn out lots of very high quality braille text.  If that's
what you're looking for, then it will do the trick.

					John Mattioli
	Most improved skier (american blind skiers association 1989)
					and humble to!

(DEC E-NET)	TOOK::MATTIOLI
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!TOOK.dec.com!MATTIOLI
(ARPA)		MATTIOLI@TOOK.dec.com
                MATTIOLI%TOOK.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
(US MAIL)	John Mattioli
		550 King St. LKG2-2/BB9
		Littleton, Ma. 01460

Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Stew Bowden) (08/11/90)

Index Number: 9736

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

John: I am a novice at this, but I have heard that the Brother 640
does a fair job of Braille embossing. I have seen some of it and
though I would not classify it as permanent Braille still using
hotdots I think that's the p[rogram it wasn't a bad job. Here at the
Virginia School for the Blind, where I am principal I am using the
Theil printer and it is excellent. Using the Duxbury software system,
and it works like a charm. Hope this helps and see you again soon.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!6!Stew.Bowden
Internet: Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org