[misc.handicap] braille embosser

SIMMONSFD@VAX1.COMPUTER-CENTRE.BIRMINGHAM.AC.UK (Frank Simmons) (08/14/90)

Index Number: 9799

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

We are going to setup a braille embosser as a network printer on our
campus this fall. Have you an idea as to how the output can be delivered
to the correct destination without employing a braillist to read the header
information on the output?

Frank Simmons
University of Birmingham
England

Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Eric Bohlman) (08/21/90)

Index Number: 9912

 FS> From: SIMMONSFD@VAX1.COMPUTER-CENTRE.BIRMINGHAM.AC.UK (Frank Simmons)
 FS>
 FS> We are going to setup a braille embosser as a network printer on our
 FS> campus this fall. Have you an idea as to how the output can be delivered
 FS> to the correct destination without employing a braillist to read the
 FS> header information on the output?

How about something similar to the old (maybe not so old) mainframe
practice of having a header page printed in big block letters?  If
the Braille printer has a mode where you can specify individual
dots (or even if you have to use patterns of standard cells), a
program could create a Braille page where the dots would spell out
an identifier in Roman letters and Arabic numbers.  Creating the
fonts would be trivial; the one thing I'm not so sure about would
be how to get the page into the stream.  If the network has a
facility for keeping two print jobs together, the user could submit
an "identifier page" followed by the bulk of the job.  Does the
network have a utility for logging printer access?  If so, just
follow the log.

On the other hand, there's a fairly obvious non-technical
solution:  it looks like someone needs to be around to do the
delivery from all the network printers anyway, so why not have that
person be someone who knows Braille?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778.1!Eric.Bohlman
Internet: Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org