 * Originally dated 20 Aug 90  06:53:14

  From: asuvax.eas.asu.edu!dsac.dla.mil!nff2356 (Sue Frederick)
  To:   <Jean.Prophet@f33.n371.z1.fidonet.org>
  Date: Mon, 20 Aug 90 06:52:34 -0400

	Jean, I saw your posting on the network about living & loving.
If you don't mind, I'd like to tell my own story (but I don't dare
post it from work!).  If you would like, you may post this story in
the misc.handicap newsgroup.

	I was married only six weeks when I had an accident resulting
in my permanent disability.  It was a very rough time for me and
for my husband as we were still adjusting to living together (we
had only known each other 3 months before we got married!)  I was
in the hospital for a while and on crutches for 6 months!  The
entire first year of our marriage was spent in going to PT & trying
to be a "normal" wife.  There were many times he was afraid to touch
me for fear that he would hurt me.  I had to convince him it was
alright to want to be close to me.  I wanted very much to be close
to him as I felt I really needed his love and support in adjusting
to my new situation.
	When we had been married for a little less than 3 years, we
discovered he had terminal cancer.  The surgery he had to remove
the metastasis in his brain resulted in the total loss of the use
of his left arm & hand.  He also had to undergo radiation treatments
and finally chemotherapy.  He became very weak and dependent on me
(how's that for a switch?).  He had always been very affectionate
with me, but he became almost "clingy".  I didn't mind, though,
because I knew he needed me and he was very scared.  (I was scared,
too!)  The new metastasis that grew in his brain resulted in a loss
of coordination and an extreme weakness in his legs.  It got to where
he could not sit up without help.  I held his head on my shoulder for
many, many hours & just stroked his back & head (he no longer had
any hair).  The night he died we had a long talk.  He was satisfied
that I would be alright without him (I had gone through Voc Rehab &
was put on the payroll of my job the day before he died).  He had
been very worried that I would be left to pay his bills & have no
job.  The day I got my job he relaxed & let go of this world.  I
stayed with him the whole night and held his hand.  He waited
until I had left the room to get a drink to finally stop breathing.
It was all very peaceful as he knew where he was going and was glad
to have the suffering over with.
	I know this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the
posts before it, but I think it says that if you loved each other
the state of your bodies doesn't matter.  Love (real love, that is)
is forever!

						Sue Frederick

		       Internet : sfrederick@dsac.dla.mil

		       UUCP : ...!osu-cis!dsac!sfrederick

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!371!33!Jean.Prophet
Internet: Jean.Prophet@f33.n371.z1.fidonet.org