[misc.handicap] Dating Services

rudy@mtqua.att.com (Avram R Vener) (08/19/90)

Index Number: 9875

Martin Storer writes
   [ stuff deleted ]

>was:  (1) must have access to "your own transportation"; (2) must
>have telephone; (3) must have full-time job.  Dave has a full-time job but
>can't drive and probably won't ever be able to, so they denied
>him access to their services.
>
>They told him these rules were in effect to enable them to back
>up their guarantee of x number of introductions per month.  (I don't
>see how the full-time-job rule relates to that...)

Marty,

Yes I had a similar experience.  In my case I decided to contact
Matchmaker international to see what (ir anything they could do for
me).   A very nice, intelligent rep showed up at my door to meet me
(and see if I was some sort of crazed psycho :-).   The rep was
accompanied by her husband (in case I WAS a crazed psycho).  She
was extremely nice and intelligent, but the bottom line was that
she didn't think MI would be able to fill their contractual in my
case.  Therefore she couldn't sign the contract with me.

The problem is, with the more espensive and select dating services,
they have to GUARANTEE a certain minimum number of dates per month
and the contract protects both you and the service and spells
things out very clearly.  Also, it is a sad fact of life that
people are prejudiced.  I am using the word in its purest sense.  I
mean they make up their minds on assumed information.  The
assumption is that if you are handicapped you cannot possibly have
a serious relationship with a 'normal' person (can you feel the
scorn dripping from my voice?).

It is like getting a loan from a bank.  You can only get one if you
don't need it.

A couple posts back I mentioned a computer intro service called
profiles.  Their rates are pretty low and ANYONE can subscribe.
Why?  Because they don't guarantee a damn thing.  The names and
contact numbers are there but it is all up to the individuals to do
their own screening.  Another option for your friend is Handicapped
Introductions, P.O. Box 232, 22 N. Main St. , Coopersburg, PA
18036.  This company is pretty good.  They will guarantee you at
least six intros  however long it takes.

Good luck to your friend.

Rudy

era@ncar.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold) (08/28/90)

Index Number: 9994

In article <13575@bunker.UUCP> rudy@mtqua.att.com (Avram R Vener) writes:
>Index Number: 9875
>Yes I had a similar experience.
>...[tale of poor experience]

Has anyone actually tried Ron Rothenberg's recommendation of Peoplenet,
the dating service for persons with disabilities that is run by a
man with disabilities?

Peoplenet Inc.; POB 897; Levittown, NY 11756
--
Ed Arnold * NCAR * POB 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 * 303-497-1253(voice)
303-497-1137(fax) * era@ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * era@ncario.BITNET

Barbara.Akin@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Barbara Akin) (08/28/90)

Index Number: 10010

Mark, the following is the address of Peoplenet (the dating
service run by the disabled person).
PEOPLENET,

257 Center Lane, Levittown, NY 11756.  Or call 516-579-4043.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15.0!Barbara.Akin
Internet: Barbara.Akin@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org