[misc.handicap] real world

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (08/10/90)

Index Number: 9658

                TNE REAL WORLD IS NOT USER FRIENDLY

        1.  A disable person seeking a driver license is more closely
examined and more easily failed than the able bodied.

        2.  The DVR counselor is allotted a limited amount of funds to
service their caseload.  The counselor must pick and choose who gets
severed and who gets pushed aside.

        3.  The employer hires the abled bodied because he 'thinks'
the disabled will have a high rate of absentism.  Stats say otherwise.

        4.  The elevator at the courthouse does not have raised
letters or floor announcements.

        5.  Airlines loose your wheelchair while in transit.

        6.  Restraunts don't have menus in braile.

        7.  Restrooms in restraunts are wide enough for a wheelchair
but you can't get to the john.

        8.  Transportation is almost unavailable to all diabled
individuals.

        9.  Emergency room doctors look upon the disabled as GOOMERs.
Better known as Get Out Of My Emergency Room.

        10.  ADD YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE HERE
 ~ EZ-Reader 1.21 ~ I've fallen...and I can't get up!!!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (08/10/90)

Index Number: 9678

In a message to All <02 Aug 90  5:11:00> Joe Chamberlain wrote:

 JC>                TNE REAL WORLD IS NOT USER FRIENDLY

 JC>        1.  A disable person seeking a driver license is more closely
 JC> examined and more easily failed than the able bodied.

I want to comment on this one (even though I could say things about
the rest).  In 1983, when I moved to Tucson, I went to the motor
vehicle dept. to change my drivers license over.  I was wearing my
hand/wrist braces at the time.  The clerk saw them and told me that
after I took the written test and the eye test I would have to take
a drivers test.  When I finished the written test I managed to get
my braces off without anyone noticing, handed in the test to
another clerk, took the eye exam, past them both and was given my
license without taking the drivers test - all because I removed the
offending objects.

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.59!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Whitney) (08/10/90)

Index Number: 9696

>                TNE REAL WORLD IS NOT USER FRIENDLY
>
>        10.  ADD YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE HERE
I'd say that you just about covered everything in your post but I'll
add this to the list. The doctors in the emergency room won't listen
to what you've got to say.   When you finally do get hired your held
back and also when you go back to work you're penalized by the
government.  I'm sure that others can add to the list.
Frank.

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.01

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Frank.Whitney
Internet: Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Steinhardt@p3.f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Steinhardt) (08/14/90)

Index Number: 9825

 > JC>>        2.  The DVR counselor is allotted a limited amount of funds to
 > JC>> service their caseload.  The counselor must pick and choose who gets
 > JC>> severed and who gets pushed aside.
 JC>
 > CO> Severed!  Ouch!  <grin>
 JC>
 JC>        A typo, but maybe there is more truth there than we
 JC> know.
 JC>                                -=joe=-

This concept of limited funds is accurate.  There is also a concept
of Individualized Writen Rehabilatation Programs.  The VR counselor
has the ability to seek exceptions or the client has the RIGHT to
request a review if a special need will assist in the atainment of
Rehab. goals.

I have found that in representing VR clients the administrations
will often allow for policy exceptions if the need can be
justified.  The client has a right to a review by a supevisor and
an appeal to a nutral administrative law judge.  The client may be
represented by CAP the Client Assistance Program at no cost to him,
or by a privite attorney in a hearing.  CAP is also available to
mediate and negociate with VR in most states.

I speak from experiance as a VR client and currently I serve as one
of those representives in Indiana.  Each state is supose to have a
CAP structure to assist it's VR Clients.

The real world says that as disabled persons we need to be
reponsible for ourselves.  We still are intitled to be utilize the
agencies that were developed to help us become competative with
marketable skills.  The line comes on the point of what we NEED vs.
what we would be comfortable with.  We need to PROVE that VR's
envestment in us will allow us to becme indipendent.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!231!230.3!Jay.Steinhardt
Internet: Jay.Steinhardt@p3.f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Steinhardt@p3.f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Steinhardt) (08/21/90)

Index Number: 9903

Hi Joe!

You are right.  Frequently the issue boils down to a conflice
between the Voc. Rehab. Counselor & the client.This is where CAP
comes in.

CAP or the Client Assistance Prigram is a program designed to
supply the Client of VR with an independent party who can review
the evedance of record and make the "approate decission."

The evidence consists of: Application for service, the IWRP or
Individual Writen Rehabilatation Plan, The medical, physical, and
other evaluations, and evidance of the client's participation in
the program.  If there is evidance from persons other than the
evals done by VR, this must be accecpted and reviewed with equal
weight.

In my case the VR office told me that I could not get my toution
paid gor at college due to my low grades.  VR shoewd that I was
able to meet the IWRP Goals if I tried.  All I needed to do was
apply myself.  I was having  severe difficulty reading and
spelling.  In my Jr. Year I was able to be diognosed as Dyslexic on
top of my epilepsy.  The Dyslexia qualified me to take a smalled
cource load and recive supportive services.  After reciving
accomadations for my dyslexia I compleated my degree majoring in
social work. Now I represent Clients in the CAP system.  CAP MUST
be made available in every state.  CAP is made available to the
client at no expense to the client. Cap can: give information and
refferial, mediation, negociation, assist in appealing decissions,
represent the intretests of any persons reciving VR services.

The real world includes Real Rights.  Remember Section 504!!
"...no recipiant may discriminate on the basis of a persons'
handicap (disability).

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!231!230.3!Jay.Steinhardt
Internet: Jay.Steinhardt@p3.f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (08/21/90)

Index Number: 9917

 JS>   CAP is made available to the client at no expense
 JS>   to the client. Cap can: give information and refferial,
 JS>  mediation, negociation, assist in appealing decissions,
 JS>  represent the intretests of any persons reciving VR services.

        I think where the system fails is that the client doesn't
get the CAP information until there is a conflict.  You should
see the client for a 10 minute quick briefing when they come for
their initial interview.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Steinhardt@f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Steinhardt) (08/23/90)

Index Number: 9944

This is a complainable issue.
The client is supose to recive CAP info. as part of the orientation to
the VR {Program.  That is a federal requirement.  We are alsor supose
to get CAP info. any time there is a problem.
Problem #1  People don't read the data they are handed.  #2 those that
do don't ask questions until it is often to late.  #3 The VR office
fails to inform of the impact that this information can have on the
IWRP (Individualized Writen Rehabilatation Program). or any combenation
of the above make up a great # of my CAP cases.
The key often comes doen to communication being reestablished.  The VR
office needs to interact w/ the client & CAP.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!231!230!Jay.Steinhardt
Internet: Jay.Steinhardt@f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (08/28/90)

Index Number: 10012

 JS> Problem #1  People don't read the data they are handed.
 JS> #2 those that
 JS> do don't ask questions until it is often to late.

        I think these are the two key factors.  All the
information flowing in that first interview is overwhelming.  In
addition, afterwards the client is enjoyed about thhe possible
help or discouraged because of the lack of help.

                                -=joe=-