[misc.handicap] Transportation

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Clifford A Stevens, Jr) (05/30/90)

Index Number: 8519

What I'm terrified of is that someone will say, "The only people who
use handicapped parking are doing it illegally, which breeds contempt
for our laws, so let's get rid of handicapped parking!".  So I'll spend five
minutes searching for a spot, and even will park there if there are
non-handicapped spots closer!
------------
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (201)957-3902

Gene.Chase@f3106.n124.z1.fidonet.org (Gene Chase) (06/04/90)

Index Number: 8599

VV> Hi Gene,
VV>
VV> Yes. I too am surprised by the lack of uniformity regarding
VV> the use and abuse
VV> of Placards and restricted parking places from state to
VV> state. From what I have
VV> been hearing in this conference. It does sound like
VV> California has a superior
VV> approach to placard issuance as opposed to many other
VV> states.
VV>
VV> Keepin' the faith!
VV>
VV>
VV> .                          Vixen
VV>
VV>
VV> --- TBBS v2.1/NM
VV>  * Origin: The Broken Rose BBS-[CASAC] (916)971-0589
VV> (203/11)
I have been planning an article about Texas laws and the handicapped
and would like to get something done on it for the next issue of the
UN/Limited...Gene

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!124!3106!Gene.Chase
Internet: Gene.Chase@f3106.n124.z1.fidonet.org

Greg.See-Kee@f631.n712.z3.fidonet.org (Greg See-Kee) (06/05/90)

Index Number: 8622

 V> Yes. I too am surprised by the lack of uniformity regarding the use
 V> and abuse of Placards and restricted parking places from state to
 V> state. From what I have been hearing in this conference.

A major part of the problem is getting the providers of parking
spaces for disabled drivers - to get better estimates.

I think that stating the space is for Ambulances AND disabled
drivers might be the trick.

Secondly, perhaps the number of spaces could be calculated by the
number of Placards registered in that district.

I'm seeing a new type of abuse now.

Is it happening in your area?  In providing services for disabled
people, non-disabled drivers can now have Placards, stating they
are are providing services for disabled people.

I assume that this means that they are transporting the one
person to & from that parking space.   But I haven't seen yet
whether this is actually the case, in all circumstance that these
placards are used.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3!712!631!Greg.See-Kee
Internet: Greg.See-Kee@f631.n712.z3.fidonet.org

Sandy.Scovell@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Sandy Scovell) (06/28/90)

Index Number: 8928

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

My husband told me your requesting information on medical
transcription.  Once you are in the field, it is fantastic and there is
great demand.  I have now been in the field now for 19 years.  As Phil
told you, there are positions available to do it out of your home.
However, at first it would be good to work with some one to get some
good training.  I have had the great opportunity of helping to train a
few different people during this past six months and have enjoyed it
very much.  I do well working for this medical transcription service
and I enjoy it there quite a bit.  It seems like services are the way
of the future, and most hospital transcription departments are a thing
in the past.  However, there are a lot of fly-by-night services and you
really have to be careful and be sure to check out their reputation.
It is always good to have some kind of transcription course but when
you go into the job situation it will seem strange, putting the terms
into practical application.  It might be good for you to maybe check
out some clinics or maybe small hospitals to get some practical
experience under your belt.  If I could help in any way, I would be
glad to do so.  It sounds like you are really having a difficult time.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!810!Sandy.Scovell
Internet: Sandy.Scovell@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Ernie.Klechner@f3.n290.z1.fidonet.org (Ernie Klechner) (08/17/90)

Index Number: 9867

Hi, William
  I am actively involved with the South East Minnesota Center for Independent
Living here in Rochester Minnesota. We also have a citizens advisory on transit
and a state task force on mainline transportation.
  In regards to your statements on the issues of power chairs I have a few questions.
  1> Is the issue of transfer imposed on all types of power chairs or just
    3 - wheelers
  2> Is there an interest to form a citizens coalition to work with the city
and local bus company to approve guidelines for use of mainline systems?
  3> Has the bus company recieved a copy of the Americans with Disabilities
Act so that they can set up a schedule of implimentation?

  I would be willing to provide information on what we have accomplished here
in Rochester.

  My address is :  Ernie Klechner
                   325 1st Ave. S.W. Apt #502
                   Rochester, Minn 55902

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!290!3!Ernie.Klechner
Internet: Ernie.Klechner@f3.n290.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Steinhardt@p3.f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Steinhardt) (08/28/90)

Index Number: 10017

 EK> Hi, William
 EK>  I am actively involved with the South
 EK> East Minnesota Center for Independent
 EK> Living here in Rochester Minnesota. We
 EK> also have a citizens advisory on transit
 EK> and a state task force on mainline transportation.
 EK>  In regards to your statements on the issues of power chairs I have
 EK> a few questions.
 >  1> Is the issue of transfer imposed on all types of power chairs or just
 EK>    3 - wheelers
 >  2> Is there an interest to form a citizens coalition to work with the city
 EK> and local bus company to approve guidelines for use of mainline systems?
 >  3> Has the bus company recieved a copy of the Americans with Disabilities
 EK> Act so that they can set up a schedule of implimentation?
 EK>
 EK>  I would be willing to provide
 EK> information on what we have accomplished here
 EK> in Rochester.
 EK>
 EK>  My address is :  Ernie Klechner
 EK>                   325 1st Ave. S.W. Apt #502
 EK>                   Rochester, Minn 55902

The issues about the type of chair is irrelavant at this time.  The
ADA is signed and passed that is true.  As of this date we still
have no regulations attached.  The ADA data that was mailed to my
office from NAPAS says that the transport agencies still have
"time" to comply.  In some cases the compliance is to be made by
attrision.  That is that the bus company has to replace veichles w/
accessable units AS THEY ARE AVAILABLE.  Thus by playing a paber
game a transit. company could reasonably take up to 20 years to
become accessable.

I will be reciving training in the ADA this month.  Right now the
legal department sees the ADA as a nice law that says access and
equal rights must be granted but offers no penilty for failure to
comply.  I hope to learn different.

Right now for mass transit the best tool we have may still be the
504 option.  weak but getting stronger w/ the ADA.  That is a
transit company that fails to meet standard may be held responsible
as a recipent.  The ADA may not have teeth but 504 dose.  The 504
option also supplies a tool to enforce.  OCR hearings will be more
likely to enforce the intent of the law with the ADA on the books.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!231!230.3!Jay.Steinhardt
Internet: Jay.Steinhardt@p3.f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org