[misc.handicap] networked braille embosser

SIMMONSFD@VAX1.COMPUTER-CENTRE.BIRMINGHAM.AC.UK (Frank Simmons) (08/19/90)

Index Number: 9878

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

We have purchased a braille embosser and intend to connect it to our
campus computer network so that anyone on campus can send output to it.
What I have not solved so far, is how to identify the banner page that
includes the UID of the sender. Sighted people will be operating the
embosser and they have to be able to tell who the sender is. If the
UID has been embossed and/or encrypted via a braille table, then how
can we identify the output?

Frank Simmons                         Electronic Mail:
Visiting Computing Officer
Academic Computing Service
University of Birmingham              vax1.bham.ac.uk
Edgbaston                             ibm3090.bham.ac.uk
Birmingham B15 2TT
United Kingdom                        Phone: 021-414-4749

Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Al Hoffman) (08/25/90)

Index Number: 9973

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Frank:

Have the users send a banner page with a banner using = signs as
characters, with their id first two charrs, or the box number where
the braille is to be put.  The banner pages should be in the form
of around 20 lines tall, by 40 chars wide.  This will make a nice
braille banner.  I use this method at work on an IBM 3084 with a
system brailler--works well enough.  If you want, have a grad
student write a system program for making these banners before each
user send print, "get ID, make banner, sned banner, send print
file..."  Good luck.

If you have more questions about this, you can call me at work at
202-535-4720.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!143.0!Al.Hoffman
Internet: Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org

tpennick@axion.bt.co.uk (Tim Pennick) (09/03/90)

Index Number: 10028

In <13578@bunker.UUCP>, SIMMONSFD@VAX1.COMPUTER-CENTRE.BIRMINGHAM.AC.UK
(Frank Simmons) writes:
> Index Number: 9878
>
> We have purchased a braille embosser and intend to connect it to our
> campus computer network so that anyone on campus can send output to it.
> What I have not solved so far, is how to identify the banner page that
> includes the UID of the sender. Sighted people will be operating the
> embosser and they have to be able to tell who the sender is. If the
> UID has been embossed and/or encrypted via a braille table, then how
> can we identify the output?
>
> Frank Simmons

I have already tried making this fairly vague suggestion via
E-mail, but I'm not sure whether Frank received my message, and
anyway perhaps someone can improve on it.

Many of the currently available braille embossers have a graphics
capability allowing the construction of diagrams etc.  Given the
necessary software, it should be possible to get an embosser with
the necessary facilities to draw large banners in raised lines on a
header sheet.

Anybody know of any such software currently available?

Tim Pennick

Address:
	Software Maintenance Techniques Group (RT3151),
	British Telecom Research Laboratories,
	Martlesham Heath, IPSWICH  IP5 7RE

Telephone, National: Ipswich (0473)646018
	International +44473 646018
Telex 987137 (ISSEC G)
Fax (0473)643019
Electronic Mail address:  tpennick@axion.bt.co.uk