[misc.handicap] Education

Floria.Antin@f304.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Floria Antin) (06/01/90)

Index Number: 8570

> to them. All these special programs, etc. As Pat says, we should teach
> disabled kids to fish not give them fish fries!
Shouldn't we tailor the programs to the needs of the children with
disabilities? Some, no matter how much time, effort, and resources are
put into program will never learn to fish.  Children with disabilities
cover a wide range of abilities.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!304!Floria.Antin
Internet: Floria.Antin@f304.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Steve Bauer) (08/14/90)

Index Number: 9816

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

One thing I have noticed about younger blind students is that their
communication skills are not very good.  This argument about whether
to teach a low partial braille are rediculous.  The minute it is
obvious that the student is putting out more effort into seeing than
learning and having a hard time keeping up is the time to learn
braille.  I'm glad my teachers and parents made me learn braille
although I still had 20/200 in one eye.  Now I'm a total and braille
is ecential.  The visually impaired must learn to read/write and
develop good communication skills or job opportunities are
definatley limited.

Nice typing at ya.

Steve/

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!291!6!Steve.Bauer
Internet: Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org

Marda.Anderson@f151.n321.z1.fidonet.org (Marda Anderson) (08/21/90)

Index Number: 9893

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I know I'm jumping in here, but I wouldn't say the slate and stylus is
obsolete.  There have been times in college when I've used it for
notetaking.  It's still cheaper than any other Braille writing device
and more portable than just about anything.  Of course it's not as fast
as a Braille writer, but it's less noisy.  I think it still has a place
and I think blind children should be taught to use it.  Of course,
everyone is free to make their own choices when they are adults but some
of the blind kids in public school think the only way to learn is by
using a tape recorder.  I use tape recorders too but not exclusively.
Sometimes, when it is a class where I can keep up with the professor,
I'd rather take Braille notes on the slate because then I don't have to
easier to study from Braille notes too.  So I hope you don't do anything
rash, like eliminating the slate and stylus from your school's
curriculum.  (griln)
marda

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!321!151!Marda.Anderson
Internet: Marda.Anderson@f151.n321.z1.fidonet.org

David.Andrews@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (David Andrews) (08/21/90)

Index Number: 9925

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 SB> One thing I have noticed about younger blind students is that
 SB> their communication skills are not very good.  This argument
 SB> about whether to teach a low partial braille are rediculous.
 SB> The minute it is obvious that the student is putting out more
 SB> effort into seeing than learning and having a hard time
 keeping SB> up is the time to learn braille.

I agree with you fully and heard another good argument today.
While I have not investigated this fact, the person who told me,
someone I work with, us usually reliable.  He said that he read an
article by Susan Spungen, Assistand Director of the Anerican
Foundation for the Blind which said that 85 percent of all braille
users were employed.  When it is generally accepted that the
unemployment rate, not the employment rate for blind persons as a
whole is 70 percent, this is a pretty good argument to learn
braille.  Obviously the braille users have the tools to compete in
the job market more effectively.  David Andrews

... Your Sound Alternative

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89.0!David.Andrews
Internet: David.Andrews@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Petraccaro) (08/23/90)

Index Number: 9947

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

David,

     If you can manage to do this, could you track down that figure of
braille users percentage employed?  How about also percentage of braille
users as college students and percentage of college students employed?  Not
solely aimed at you, David, maybe someone else here can shed some light on
the questions I have asked.

                                Thanks,
                                Gary

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!90!Gary.Petraccaro
Internet: Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Al Hoffman) (08/23/90)

Index Number: 9949

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi:

About the slate--its cheap as you said, seems a poor choice for
somebody to have to get themselves to college, and "oops, I'm broke
now!"  $1000 for a note taker is a high price, and personally i'd
kill somebody who came in a class of mine with a braille writer.  a
braille and speak is pretty good, but for that, a laptop would even
be better.  i used to write volumes of notes in college at class
lectures, and i don't really think i was an outstanding slatist,
just persistent.  it would be hard to make a kid believe the
teacher that the slate is really worth it when saying to the kid
"you'll learn later."

the old slate is a hard master, still hard to beat.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!143.0!Al.Hoffman
Internet: Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org

dgl292@athenanet.com (Doug Lee) (08/28/90)

Index Number: 9988

In article <13658@bunker.UUCP> Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 9949
>
>kill somebody who came in a class of mine with a braille writer.  a
>be better.  i used to write volumes of notes in college at class
>lectures, and i don't really think i was an outstanding slatist,
>just persistent.  it would be hard to make a kid believe the
>teacher that the slate is really worth it when saying to the kid
>"you'll learn later."

I'm one of those people who did not realy learn to use the slate
until college.  I was "exposed," to it in elementary school where it
was presented to me as "what blind people used in the old days."
After all, *we* had inexpensive tape recorders available.  It wasn't
until my second semester in college that I realized I could save
time in note-taking using the slate (I didn't have to waste valuable
time going through a bunch of tapes.)  Also, I payed more attention
in class because I actively participated in the note-taking
process.  It also helped me better interact with other students
because I could grab my braille notes and study with them instead of
staying cooped up in my room with a tape recorder.  Technology is
nice but I don't think you can beat the slate for portability,
efficiency, and economy (stepping down from soap box.)
TTyl.

--Chip-- (cjohn975@athenanet.com or uunet!pallas!cjohn975)

Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Stew Bowden) (09/04/90)

Index Number: 10063

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Marda: well, I wouldn't dream of eliminating the slate and stylus
from our curriculum. I agree with you, but it is also true that,
though many new items are more expensive, they are even more portable
than some slates. Most of the kids I am dealing with these days lack
the motor skills to learn how to use the slate and stylus. However,
some of them do have enough strength in their fingers to press keys
on a versabraille or braille and speak device. However, you are right
and I have in the past been reluctant to use these devices in the
classroom, because I felt it unfair to get kids dependent upon
devices they would probably never be able to afford. Sleep well
Marda, I, too believe in the slate and stylus, and it sure got me
through graduate and undergraduate school. Nice to hear your
thoughts. Thanks Marda

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!6!Stew.Bowden
Internet: Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org