[net.space] antimatter -> black hole

REM%IMSSS@SU-AI.ARPA (Robert Elton Maas) (03/18/86)

Although fusion isn't very efficient (compared to antimatter/matter
anihilation), and antimatter/matter anihilation may be very difficult
to engineer, dropping matter into a black hole is both efficient and
relatively safe/simple once you have a black hole handy.

Unfortunately the more matter you drop the more massive the hole gets.
Fortunately the only part of the matter that ends up really in the
hole is the part not converted to energy, so the more efficient you
can engineer the system the slower the hole gets massive, so with
close to 100% efficiency the hole lasts close to forever.

What is current expert opinion on the existance of small black holes
in the centers of asteroids, which you can discover by shoving the
asteroid away suddenly leaving the hole in approximately its original
orbit? What is current expert opinion on making black holes from
scratch by some kind of microscopic implosion followed by feeding it
some additional mass to bring its blackbody radiation temperature down
to room temperature so it will be stable during storage before
spaceship launch?

chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) (03/19/86)

> Unfortunately the more matter you drop the more massive the hole gets.
> Fortunately the only part of the matter that ends up really in the
> hole is the part not converted to energy, so the more efficient you
> can engineer the system the slower the hole gets massive, so with
> close to 100% efficiency the hole lasts close to forever.
>
> What is current expert opinion on the existance of small black holes
> ... [quote taken out of context]

The last I heard, experts were of the opinion that black holes (especially
small black holes) have a tendency to evaporate.  Thus most of the small
black holes that may have been created in the Big Bang are no longer with
us, and if we do learn how to construct small black holes, they will tend to
evaporate quickly.

On the other hand, if we learn how to care for and feed a black hole so that
it can be used as an energy source, we won't have to worry about it growing
too large.  Every now and then we can simply stop feeding it and wait for it
to evaporate a little.  (By having lots of little black holes and only
feeding one at a time, we can even keep up a continuous supply of energy.)

Chuck Simmons     chuck@dartvax

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/20/86)

In article <8603181749.AA05299@s1-b.arpa> REM%IMSSS@SU-AI.ARPA
(Robert Elton Maas) writes:
>... dropping matter into a black hole is both efficient and
>relatively safe/simple once you have a black hole handy.
>
>Fortunately the only part of the matter that ends up really in the
>hole is the part not converted to energy, so the more efficient you
>can engineer the system the slower the hole gets massive, so with
>close to 100% efficiency the hole lasts close to forever.

   I give up.  I don't have a clue what you are talking about.  How
is dropping things into black holes supposed to create energy (at
"close to 100% efficiency")??

   -- David desJardins

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/20/86)

In article <12499@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>In article <8603181749.AA05299@s1-b.arpa> REM%IMSSS@SU-AI.ARPA
>(Robert Elton Maas) writes:
>>... dropping matter into a black hole is both efficient and
>>relatively safe/simple once you have a black hole handy.
>>
>>Fortunately the only part of the matter that ends up really in the
>>hole is the part not converted to energy, so the more efficient you
>>can engineer the system the slower the hole gets massive, so with
>>close to 100% efficiency the hole lasts close to forever.
>
>   I give up.  I don't have a clue what you are talking about.  How
>is dropping things into black holes supposed to create energy (at
>"close to 100% efficiency")??

From the gravitational potential energy difference.  If I remember
correctly, there are thought experiments to prove E=mc^2 based on
dropping things slowly towards black holes.

More reasonable is extraction from the rotational energy of a spinning
black hole.  An object can be sent near the black hole's equator and
come back with higher kinetic energy than when it went out.  There's a
lot of energy available this way, as you pointed out in discussing the
earth's rotational energy.  The major inefficiency is extraction of usable
energy from the returning projectile.  There's a lovely description of
this system in MTW, using garbage in, energy out!

The only practical difficulty is finding a spare black hole lying around.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720