[misc.handicap] communicating

Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10114

In a message to Nadine Thomas <27 Aug 90 20:33:00> Kraig Cummings wrote:

 KC> Nadine, I don't think that we're really that far apart
 KC> philosophically.

Maybe not.

 KC> What is life happening?

You've heard the saying `sh*t happens'?  Well, life happening is
how I look at it.  Not everything that happens is do do - we have
good and not so good things happening - that averages out to `life
happening'.  There is no BIG CONSPIRACY that is out to get me when
things don't go the way I WANT them too  - that is life happening.

 KC> Maybe you are right about the I-10 bit and
 KC> Vietnam being hazardous
 KC> to one's health.  However, How does that square with whatever (I
 KC> choose to call God) you call a "higher entity" not having any
 KC> control over one's life?

Well, if I stand in the middle of I-10 and say that `god' will
protect me - the chances are PRETTY good that I'm gonna get run
over (maybe by more than one vehicle too).  Likewise, when I stand
on the corner and wait for the light and the crossing sign and look
for traffic turning as I cross - my safe crossing is NOT because
`god' was controlling my life.

*I* do not believe that everyday occurances are dictated by a
higher power.  Therefore, I do not believe that any higher entity
had a hand in your being shot down or my getting my disabilities.
They were life happening.  Also, what *I* decide to do with my life
from this point on is dictated by how much effort and footwork I
put into it.  I could sit back and say that if `god' wants me to
do/have whatever then it will be given to me - but that is garbage
- *I* have to make the effort..

 KC> Think we may be starting to communicate?

Sounds like it.

 KC> BTW... Do you live in LA?  I have relatives that live there.

Nope - Tucson Arizona.

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.59!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org