[misc.handicap] Employment Issues

Gene.Zeak@p0.f2190.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Gene Zeak) (08/14/90)

Index Number: 9834

 > I could use some encouragement and ideas from you all. I

 > feel like I'm floating in a pool of water trapped inland
 > with no way out. I'm not sure what i want, and I'm not
 > sure what I want to do except that I don't want to wash
 > frigging dishes all the rest of my life.  I have emotional
 > problems which tend to work against me more often than not.

Like you, I feel like I'm somewhat trapped by my disabilities.  The
main problem I have is uncertainty..."Can I really do this?"  It's
easy enough to tell a potential employer that I can, but, can I really?

The obvious answer is, "I don't know."  Also like you, I don't want
to relegate myself to what I'd consider menial labor (taking into
consideration my knowledge and experience) and I also have some
difficulty with dealing with emotions...although there's been lots
of work on that...with some success.

 > I used to be a dark room tech and while I didn't hate the
 > job, I found that I couldn't concentrate on what I was
 > doing, so that didn't work real well.

Concentration is a problem here, too.  It seems to come and go...I
think I knew I had a problem with it the day I absently minded plugged
the output of a 5 volt power supply into a wall scket...you techies
will wince!

 > I don't have much time to talk more about this, so ask
 > me questions.

How do we resolve these things?  I have tried home employment, but
really don't seem to be very successful at it...although that may
be more related to the details of what more than to the basic idea.

Later, Gene...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!2190.0!Gene.Zeak
Internet: Gene.Zeak@p0.f2190.n137.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (08/15/90)

Index Number: 9839

 GZ> The obvious answer is, "I don't know."  Also like you, I don't want
 GZ> to relegate myself to what I'd consider menial labor (taking into
 GZ> consideration my knowledge and experience) and I also have some

        Sometimes that is exactly what you need to do.  An able
bodied friend in Orlando is an aeronautical engineer.  There are
no job openings in his speciality field and he now works for
Disney as a service technician.

        Employers are more inclined to hire an employed person
desiring to move up, instead of some unemployed and untested in
the work force.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Eric Bohlman) (08/17/90)

Index Number: 9863

Does your local community college have a career counseling department?  If so,
you might meet with them for help in clarifying career goals.  Of course,
they're likely to suggest that you take classes there, but they can still
offer some unbiased advice.  I'd stay away from rehab types for now; they're
usually too concerned about filling pigeonholes.

In general, there are 3 questions you have to answer in any undertaking:
1) Where am I now?
2) Where do I want to be
3) How do I know I'm getting there?

It looks like you need a little help with #2.  You might want to ask yourself
what career choices people you admire have made and whether or not those
choices would be right for you.  In any case, if you become interested in a
choice, try to talk at length with others who have made the same choice.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778.1!Eric.Bohlman
Internet: Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (08/21/90)

Index Number: 9901

 GZ> Another consideration is loss of benefits.  If a person is currently
 GZ> receiving any benefits, they will lose them as soon as they begin
 GZ> making any money.  Therefore, it behooves (I love THAT word!) them
 GZ> to make sure they take a job where the pay will cover the costs of
 GZ> the benefits lost.

        The SSA allows a 9 month trial work period before
terminating benefits.  Therefore you can collect benefits and
work too.

 GZ> It's very difficult to accept an underemployment situation
 GZ> when you know that you know what you know...know what I mean?

        Well then it comes down to the questionof whether you
want to work or want to collect.  There is a lot of
underemployment in this country.  Cab drivers in Orlando have
degrees in aeronautical engineering.  A former nuclear power
plant adminstrator now works as a line crew supervisor.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Gene.Zeak@p0.f219.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Gene Zeak) (08/21/90)

Index Number: 9924

GZ>Another consideration is loss of benefits.  If a person is currently
GZ>receiving any benefits, they will lose them as soon as they begin
GZ>making any money.  Therefore, it behooves (I love THAT word!) them to
GZ>make sure they take a job where the pay will cover the costs of the
GZ>benefits lost.

 JC>         The SSA allows a 9 month trial work period before
 JC> terminating benefits.  Therefore you can collect benefits and
 JC> work too.
Yep, you are correct there...however, SSA benefits are not the only
ones to consider.  There's HUD, state, county, and city benefits that
many need to consider.

 GZ>> It's very difficult to accept an underemployment situation
 GZ>> when you know that you know what you know...know what I mean?

 JC>         Well then it comes down to the questionof whether you
 JC> want to work or want to collect.  There is a lot of
 JC> underemployment in this country.  Cab drivers in Orlando have
 JC> degrees in aeronautical engineering.  A former nuclear power
 JC> plant adminstrator now works as a line crew supervisor.

 JC>                                 -=joe=-

True, but I'm afariad a bit simplistic.  Sort of like saying that a
percentage of the homeless want to be drifters.  That also may be
true, but, unfortunately, the other (larger) percentage who don't
often get swiped with the same paintbrush.  Besides, how about spouses
and children?  If one gives up benefits in order to not feel like a
"collector" they often are in the role of making quality of life
choices for others beside temselves.

I know of a plant maintenance supervisor who has a degree in chemical
enginnering.  He does it 'cause he WANTS to.  I know another man who
has a degree in agriculture, but he'd rather sell cars than farm any
ol' day...and I could go on...on...on...and on.  The point I'm trying
to make is taht things are not as simple as they often seem.  However,
it would appear that most people stop seeking any anwer as soon as one
comes along that satifies...not necessarily the one that reveals the
truth.

Later, Gene...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!219.0!Gene.Zeak
Internet: Gene.Zeak@p0.f219.n137.z1.fidonet.org

Gene.Zeak@p0.f219.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Gene Zeak) (08/28/90)

Index Number: 10015

 BK> Gene, I'm glad that you mentioned the benefits question.  As I receive
 BK> SSDI, I can work at a place like Pizza Hut, and if I work part time, I
 BK> can still keep my benefits.  It may be that this is only true
 BK> for the blind, but that should include you.  Have you ever
 BK> worked at a job for
 BK> over 2 years?  If so, you should be able to get these benefits,
 BK> assuming that you don't work now, or that you work part time or
 BK> something.
 BK> Bill

Hi Bill,

SSA has a trial work period I can take advantage of for 9 months.
They look at a number of things to see if you are able to perform
"gainful and substantial work."  Part of that is your income.  For me
that amount is $500.00 a month, for a blind person  it is $750.00.

Yes, I can work at a place like Pizza Hut part-time and probably keep
my benefits, but I think I'd rather "go for the banana" and try to use
my talents better than that.  I do not mean to belittle that type of
work, but I just think that it is not for me.  I may just be too
stubborn!

Later, Gene...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!219.0!Gene.Zeak
Internet: Gene.Zeak@p0.f219.n137.z1.fidonet.org

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Clifford A Stevens, Jr) (09/04/90)

Index Number: 10053

In article <13732@bunker.UUCP>, Gene.Zeak@p0.f219.n137.z1.fidonet.org
(Gene Zeak) writes:
GZ> Index Number: 10015
GZ>
GZ>  BK> Gene, I'm glad that you mentioned the benefits question.  As I receive
GZ>  BK> SSDI, I can work at a place like Pizza Hut, and if I work part time, I
GZ>  BK> can still keep my benefits.  It may be that this is only true
GZ>  BK> for the blind, but that should include you.  Have you ever
GZ>  BK> worked at a job for
GZ>  BK> over 2 years?  If so, you should be able to get these benefits,
GZ>  BK> assuming that you don't work now, or that you work part time or
GZ>  BK> something.
GZ>  BK> Bill
GZ> SSA has a trial work period I can take advantage of for 9 months.
GZ> They look at a number of things to see if you are able to perform
GZ> "gainful and substantial work."  Part of that is your income.  For me
GZ> that amount is $500.00 a month, for a blind person  it is $750.00.

Exactly, but you only get 1 trial work period in your lifetime!
Like in my case, I was on SSDI, went back to work and couldn't cut
it (I didn't know about the restriction when I went back, so I took
the trial.), so I was put back on disability.  When that started I
was informed one trial work period per lifetime!  I guess that is
to keep people from abusing the triaal!

------------
Militant Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

Jay.Steinhardt@p3.f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Steinhardt) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10120

 GZ> SSA has a trial work period I can take advantage of for 9 months.
 GZ> They look at a number of things to see if you are able to perform
 GZ> "gainful and substantial work."  Part of that is your income.  For me
 GZ> that amount is $500.00 a month, for a blind person  it is $750.00.

 GZ> Yes, I can work at a place like Pizza Hut part-time and probably keep
 GZ> my benefits, but I think I'd rather "go for the banana" and try to use

 GZ> my talents better than that.  I do not mean to belittle that type of
 GZ> work, but I just think that it is not for me.  I may just be too
 GZ> stubborn!

Hi Gene,

I know that I am comming into your conversation in the middle but
I'd like to add some information to your note.  You do with it as
you will.

There are some more variables that may increase the ammount you can
earn:  If in VR or if you need medical services for life support
you can look into the IRWI or PASS plan.  These are pland drawn up
w/ the SSA that allow you to add in cost of medical maintnance
services before cutting into the amount figured for substancial
gainfull employment.

Another option for those who qualify is the 1619 option.  The 1619
program is available to some SSA recipiants who are on SSI.  The
Client who qualifies will be on both MEDICAID and SSI.  The client
will be on SSI and MEDICAID for at least the month before applying
for 1619 status.  If the client qualifies s/he may work & be
gailfully emploied but keep the MEDICAID bennifits w/out spenddown
or w/ modified spendown.

" Section 1619 of the Social Security Act Provides as incentive to
continue work when earned income of blind or disabled SSI
recipiants reaches levels that would otherwise jepordize
eligibelity.  Whebn 1619(a) status is entered SSI cash payments are
reduced but continue.  Under 1619(b) status SSI Cash payments
stop."  {Other bennifits continue} "SSI clients can move in and out
of 1619 status or between 1619(a) & 1619(b) status"

The medical need determines the continuation of MEDICAID in these
situations. Need is demonstrated in this past case I recently
resolved:  A client w/ a BSW was working as a social worker.  She
wanted to work full time but was afraid that she would loose her
medical protection.  She was affected in all 4 limbs and needed
attendent support no BSW could afford an attendedt.  MEDICAID
reviewed the case and w/the 1619(b) status her checks stopped, she
worked full time, she maintained MEDICAID and support for the
attendent care.  Today this client lives in an appartment by
herself and the attendent is still covered by MEDICAID.

I have a CP client who recived a job as a BSW social worker.  She
has a need for attendent care

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!231!230.3!Jay.Steinhardt
Internet: Jay.Steinhardt@p3.f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org